Goodbye dolmar?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They have a lot of couple shaft tools that the attachments fit a 25cc four cycle or a double 18 volt battery power head. No gasoline not just no two cycle.

They could sell off the Dolmar name and ability to make gasoline devices.

What is the gist of the article? Are they fearing battery saws taking over? Battery everything sure is coming full speed ahead. I can easily see how they would take over the consumer market. Heck, they even have battery airplanes now! Big trucks, sedans, pickups, it's a paradigm shift.

What is the gist of the article? Are they fearing battery saws taking over? Battery everything sure is coming full speed ahead. I can easily see how they would take over the consumer market. Heck, they even have battery airplanes now! Big trucks, sedans, pickups, it's a paradigm shift.
They will stop producing gas powered equipment in 2022 citing ""global environmental concerns""

They will stop producing gas powered equipment in 2022 citing ""global environmental concerns""
Only questions I have is how they produce needed electricity? Coal fired plants, natural gas, nuclear, solar, wind or what? None of these options are pollution free or are able to keep up with demand if everything goes electric. People live in a dream land, From 1990 to 2018, China increased its coal consumption from 0.99 billion tons to 4.64 billion tons. In 2018, coal made up 59 percent of China's energy use. Since 2011, China has consumed more coal than the rest of the world combined.

Edit: Nevermind, translate link didn't work.
Announcement to stop the production of gasoline products

Ratingen, October 30, 2020 - The Makita Group will cease production of gasoline-powered products as of March 31, 2022.
Makita is a global supplier of a comprehensive range of tools to create comfortable living and living spaces, including battery tools, battery garden tools, and compressed air tools.

In the field of garden tools, Makita offers a wide range of gasoline-powered products, such as cutters and chainsaws. To meet the growing awareness of global environmental problems and the growing demand for comfortable wireless products, Makita has decided to optimize the development, production and distribution of environmentally friendly and increasingly popular battery devices. Makita will focus resources on the development, production and distribution of battery products using the expertise in engine technology and battery development. At the same time, it promotes the abandonment of gasoline appliances, but also the use of wireless cordless tools and battery gardening equipment. Accordingly, Makita will cease production of gasoline-powered products at the entire Group level as of March 31, 2022.

Only questions I have is how they produce needed electricity? Coal fired plants, natural gas, nuclear, solar, wind or what? None of these options are pollution free or are able to keep up with demand if everything goes electric. People live in a dream land, From 1990 to 2018, China increased its coal consumption from 0.99 billion tons to 4.64 billion tons. In 2018, coal made up 59 percent of China's energy use. Since 2011, China has consumed more coal than the rest of the world combined.
Because no one pushing electric everything wants to ask those common sense questions.

I would like an electric tractor. Especially for feeding in the winter. Nice and quiet

We have an electric Polaris Ranger. It is truly delightful around the farm. You can drive right up on deer, turkeys, whatever. If it's been greased lately, I think it's quieter than most people on foot.

Then why did they buy Dolmar in the first place ?

Makita acquired Dolmar in 1991. While Makita was a familiar name in the realm of electric-powered tools, Dolmar was known for its gasoline-powered tools.
Combining their knowledge and expertise enabled them to create an outstanding marriage of raw power and cutting-edge technology.

Wow! This is huge, guys. I am in the oil/gas business and these type announcements continue to surface on almost a weekly basis... that some huge company is announcing a paradigm shift. It's happening sooner rather than later. It will be interesting to see what they come up with in the larger saw department, assuming they do.

I personally think makita is doing this to bump their bottom line because gas powered equipment isn't a big seller for them.

there's data out there about most large companies, and I recall reading last year about market shares that makita/dolmar was near the very bottom as far as over all sales & brand following.
Below poulan, homelite, remington IIRC.
their 79xx is the only chainsaw I have experienced first hand, and well made it is, but it's in the stone age compared to anything stihl or husky currently makes in that class.
Not a horrible thing, my guys like it & I expect it will last well. 10 years ago, I would have put it on the top teir of most of the saws available.
I don't like their cutoff saws, I have had a few through the years & I barely got a year out of them usedsporadically.
My stihl cuttoff saw is going on 8, and it was abused before I got it.
Their weedeater line is uninspireing, I used a couple doing landscaping ... the ergonomics & design left a lot to be desired IMO. Especially the string heads.
Their battery tools however are phenomenal, I think it's a good direction for them... the R&D to get their gas tools to equal the competitions & meet emissions would likely bankrupt the division, whereas the battery line has a major following already, many great tools, and continues to sell well among professionals.

Great choice. Pass on the environmental virtue signalling, but as a biz decision it was a good call. They're sacrificing a very small piece of the pro market, and for most needs of the average homeowner, the era of gas equipment is over. Battery electric is where it's at.

Back