Goodbye dolmar?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well a local guy was a dealer in my area but he never kept much inventory and I don’t think he sold many. I looked at a 6400 he had for $875 Canadian pesos butt I said to myself few more pesos I could get a 362 which I’m familiar with or a 562 or another 460 rancher. I have never run a dolmar so I didn’t buy it because of that. Also it seemed like the dealer was getting out of them

If they do get sold off I wouldn't be surprised if someone buys them and then you start seeing a bunch more zenoah/redmax clones that now say dolmar like what is happening with efco.

Great choice. Pass on the environmental virtue signalling, but as a biz decision it was a good call. They're sacrificing a very small piece of the pro market, and for most needs of the average homeowner, the era of gas equipment is over. Battery electric is where it's at.
Except when there is a natural disaster. During the recent Duracho gas saws sold out in a few hours. Electrics were readily available even a day or two later. I get that electrics can do a lot of home owner tasks, but when you need to cut trees and there is no power, they might not be the best choice.

I had a feeling Makita was going to do this at some point, they put almost zero into getting the engines to meet emissions, it was only a matter of time. The 7900 isn't what it once was and the other saws are just so so. Now with Makita written on them, that was the real nail in the coffin for Dolmar. What a shame for such a once proud company, Dolmar was the father of gas powered chainsaw.[emoji22]

I had a feeling Makita was going to do this at some point, they put almost zero into getting the engines to meet emissions, it was only a matter of time. The 7900 isn't what it once was and the other saws are just so so. Now they Makita written on them, that was the real nail in the coffin for Dolmar. What a shame for such a once proud company, Dolmar was the father of gas powered chainsaw.[emoji22]

it is sad, but ultimately not unexpected.
The 7900 makita I have is a decent saw, but in no way does it impress me with it's power, weight, handling... I guess I am spoiled by the newer stuff from the big 2.
That said, I hear constantly how great it is from others & I could easily believe that it was better back when it was sold as a dolmar.

Except when there is a natural disaster. During the recent Duracho gas saws sold out in a few hours. Electrics were readily available even a day or two later. I get that electrics can do a lot of home owner tasks, but when you need to cut trees and there is no power, they might not be the best choice.

100% agree, never getting rid of my gas Stihls or diesel truck, for that exact reason. Couple other tools need to remain grid independent or draw too much power for batteries to be there yet, too. I said for "most" needs, not "all."

it is sad, but ultimately not unexpected.
The 7900 makita I have is a decent saw, but in no way does it impress me with it's power, weight, handling... I guess I am spoiled by the newer stuff from the big 2.
That said, I hear constantly how great it is from others & I could easily believe that it was better back when it was sold as a dolmar.

The revlimiter makes them harder to tune, the SLR muffler holds them back. The original 7900 was the top dog power to weigh for a decade maybe longer, but there was little to no investment into keeping the saw up to date, and obviously there will be no replacement. :( A 90cc model was in the works some had a few for testing. Now that it's never happen may pics if that saw will show up. The 7900 is still my all around favorite 70cc to 80cc saw, but with the likes of the 462 and now the 500i, the 7900 as it is now, is showing some age, the early 7900 would fair much better and would run right with a 500i when it comes to power and weight.

Back