Goodness in the world

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hehe. Relax, my "work" in Sterling involves keeping the .COM DNS resolution systems at VeriSign up and running, no trees are harmed during my day job.

I commute to Sterling Mon-Wed from Goochland (drive up Monday morning, stay in hotel, come home Wednesday). We live so far out in the sticks that I buy a lot of my stuff in Sterling or at Blue Ridge Arborists supply in Culpepper.

I'm in Reston...72 mi. each way to Mt. Falls from here....now, you know you work in the wealthiest county in the U.S. don't you?

I'm in Reston...72 mi. each way to Mt. Falls from here....now, you know you work in the wealthiest county in the U.S. don't you?

Hello again neighbor.

Still waiting for some of that wealth to show up in my account. The county that I live in (Goochland) is number 16 or 26 and I know of folks who have dirt floors and some without running water. It is still very much country - just a few very, very wealthy residents that skew those per capita numbers. With only 26,000 residents it doesnt take much to inflate the per capita wealth.

Hello again neighbor.

Still waiting for some of that wealth to show up in my account. The county that I live in (Goochland) is number 16 or 26 and I know of folks who have dirt floors and some without running water. It is still very much country - just a few very, very wealthy residents that skew those per capita numbers. With only 26,000 residents it doesnt take much to inflate the per capita wealth.

In Mt. Falls, if you own a Bobcat, you are considered well-heeled!

In Mt. Falls, if you own a Bobcat, you are considered well-heeled!

What folks dont realize is that if you are willing to be your own diesel mechanic there are some great 20 year old machines out there for about what they pay for a beater pickup truck. I chose to go with a 15 year old truck which gave me room in the bank for the bobcat.

A lot of good 7x3 series out there for $6k and less.

The guy who does my car inspections is like that. I was having a "SES" light on my Z28, that was caused by varying ambient temperature (it does it when started cold and the outside temp has changed dramatically). I usually just unhook the battery for about ten minutes and it resets, but since the car is OBD II, it can be cleared with a handheld reader. He offered his to me and even said drive the car for a few days to see what codes might pop up. He did this twice, and said for me to never buy one, just get his whenever I needed it.

The only thing I did in return is call him before I took a car for inspection and asked him if he wanted something from Taco Bell (he loves Taco Bell). I got him three tacos and you would have thought I handed him a benjamin!

Good people like this are out there. Never, EVER, assume they are not. You would be surprised how many there are. The thing we need to ensure is that we do nothing to ever negate that trust. The people who permanently borrow tools really have a negative effect on the good samaritans.

My local small engine dealer is having an open house this weekend. One of the counter guys ask me to bring a couple of old saws by for display. Yesterday I took my Clinton and McCulloch 15 by and the owner was really pleased that I would take the time to do this. I ask him what kind of donuts the shop guys liked, his response, " I don't think any of these guys have ever seen a donut they didn't like".

I'm gonna take the dealer three dozen on saturday morning. In another thread we talked about buying from a dealer or from the internet, I still stand by what I said about my local dealer;

Because they are my friends!

The helpful tech was at Sterling Mower Repair in Sterling Virginia. Just don't go there telling him that I said he would loan out his gauges for free :)

Hmmm! Sterling - part of my world as well. In fact bought my snow blower there this winter. Not sure if it was this shop but I'll put this on my list to check out. The closest Stihl shop to me is a rental and they don't know one saw from another. I have been doing most of my chainsaw business with Mill Creek Saw in Berryville, WV - only about 130 miles from home. LOL

Goodness

Hi there G. I bet about all the people registered on the AS would also help someone out.It's a Karma thing.....thanks for sharing.

dude, score!

i would so not bring that tester back!!!

free tools rock!:chainsaw:

(no i wouldn't do that, not really)

if he is one of those hard-core orange-pissing stihl dealers he may not want it back after it touches a husqy? :)

I sure hope you're kidding.

read my post again in the quote above. :)

yes there are a few good people left.

my boss and i (carpenters) were trying to replace the outer axle bearings on a chevy g-van. wouldn't you know you need a slide-hammer puller. local guy in a little shop next to nowhere lent us a puller with no deposit.... and not knowing us at all.
the boss picked up a couple fat steaks on the way back to return the puller.

in the end our bearings were fixed and the mechanic was eatin' good.
:cheers:

Back when I still buying Fords my wife would take in a dozen donuts to the
service guys, she got treated like a queen but Ford's being what they were
back then cost me too many donuts, so I had stop buying them and the donuts.

Take it back with a Half dozen Dude flowers, and make sure to buy something from the shop. At least a Pack of files, or a sixer of 2cycle..somethin.

REAL saw shops used to all be about keeping the customers stuff running and keeping the customers happy. Ya found one of the few left.;)

:cheers::cheers:

Makes ya consider buying a Stihl don't it?.:D

Good stuff, and thanks for sharing.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Hmmm! Sterling - part of my world as well. In fact bought my snow blower there this winter. Not sure if it was this shop but I'll put this on my list to check out. The closest Stihl shop to me is a rental and they don't know one saw from another. I have been doing most of my chainsaw business with Mill Creek Saw in Berryville, WV - only about 130 miles from home. LOL

I thought Berryville was in Va......but, that part of the country is sorta like WV!

:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::cheers:

Back