got a box of stihl 044

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luke_w

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
today i got a box with a half taken apart 044 from my cousin....he was falling a doug fir and cut the holding wood off on the far side and it pinched the saw and spun as it was falling and slammed into the dirt.....the good new is that he gave it to me for 5 bucks... the damage is that it broke the handle clean off.. cracked the gas tank...broke off the av mounts..and bent the wrap around....the crank case is still good and tight..the cylinder and piston are in pristine condition and turn over good....so i just need a new gas tank and 2 av rubbers and it SHOULD run
what I wanted to know is what year it is... it has a serial number if 149584770? do any of you know how to find the year it was made? and how much should a new gastank cost? thank you!!!

cant help ya on the year, but a new tank is getting hard to find for the 044. You can get the 440 tanks new from Ebay for $100 or so, and used for half that, but you will have a flippy cap instead of a screw in cap.

Or I could give you $20 for your saw in a box and cover shipping as well. :)

Baileys has all fo it on their site. $153 for the tank, $22 each for the mounts, and $28 for the handlebar.

Check real good for leaks and crooked metal. I had a squished saw once, it was WAY more trouble than it was worth. Not saying you don't have a gem for $5, but I would just make real sure...

Baileys has all fo it on their site. $153 for the tank, $22 each for the mounts, and $28 for the handlebar.

Check real good for leaks and crooked metal. I had a squished saw once, it was WAY more trouble than it was worth. Not saying you don't have a gem for $5, but I would just make real sure...

$153 is awful high for a Tank. If you shop around at the local dealers you should be able to get the new flippy cap style one (like Wiggs said), for around $100. eBay prices for used tanks are so high (although you can give it a shot, you might get lucky) you'll probably be better off buying a new one.

cant help ya on the year, but a new tank is getting hard to find for the 044. You can get the 440 tanks new from Ebay for $100 or so, and used for half that, but you will have a flippy cap instead of a screw in cap.

Or I could give you $20 for your saw in a box and cover shipping as well. :)

WIGGS! At least Jesse James used a gun! :hmm3grin2orange:

Yea, no kidding..... I will give him $30 + shipping. :)

(stands up to do his auctioneer impression) "I hear 30 now and 30 now 40 will you gimme 40 -- 30 now and 30 now and 40....all right fellars, yall aint lookin at this, this is a real deal -- HO! 40 and now 50, now 40 and 50!"

(points to wiggs to say) "40 and now 50,,,,you out?"
:looser:

i put the saw back together today ...well the best i could with all the broken parts...dumped a little gas in the tank(if I tip it to the side a bit it dont leak to bad).....put her to full choke and she fired up on the 3rd pull...i let her idle for about 2 min and reved it up a bit with throttle rod hanging off the back....she sounds pretty...i cant wait for the parts store to open tommarrow to check prices!!!!! damn holiday its the 5th ....the 4th was yesterday so why are all the stores closed today?....my buddy told me the parts store in town has the tank for a hundred bucks... new with flippy cap.....it also has a shattered airfilter cover that I need to check the price on.

im pretty sure baileys is the selling the 440 stihl tank, thats about retail price for that tank the twist cap tanks are no longer available

watch ebay for parts 044 for tanks

bought a new tank and air filter cover for it she runs like a dream......it has duel ports and ive only rebuilt a 026 before this so im pretty new to this ....what does sanding the intake on the cylinder smooth do for the saw?...because it has been done to this saw im just curious.

what does sanding the intake on the cylinder smooth do for the saw?...because it has been done to this saw im just curious.

Not much just by itself. It could have been widened/raised/lowered and that was just the final step, smoothing it out.

A smashed saw is what bought me to ArboristSite to begin with. It was an 028 and it cost me more to fix it than it was worth, but it gave me cad......:cry:

Sounds like another one's got the bug. Good job on the 044. Now learn how to post pix...........:givebeer:

Photobucket is the way I do them. Just upload to photobucket and then past the bottom link of the 4 they give you.

Latest posts

Back