Got a Job on 04-04-09 and need Opinions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WillBrayJr

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Got a thin Pine Tree and bushes to cut down. This is a one time thing, so should I spring for a Stihl MS 170 or just buy a Homelite Ranger. The saw won't be getting used much beyond that little job. This is making me go bonkers:dizzy:

My opinion would be to barrow one if you can. If not I would buy the cheapest saw appropriate for the job then sell when your through w/it. But on the other side of that if you have any intention of holding on to the saw spring for the stihl. It will sell when and if you decide to do so, and be there if ever needed.

I don't really like barrowing other people's things because I feel obligated should the item break down. I don't plan on selling the saw. I live in an apartment but maybe able to afford a home someday. Plus a chainsaw could come in handy someday. I think I'll just spring for the Stihl. It's only $50 more than the Homelite.

On a side note, I love chainsaws. Been using them since I was 6 years old.

Sounds like borrowing one is a good option.
Another would be to have a local tree guy take care of it. Might be surprised at what it would cost. If you have a way of hauling it off or getting rid of it, out back in some woods or something.
Just to get it down and make a few cuts so you can work with it, without a saw will be even cheaper yet.

We all give free estimates, it's worth a try.
Myself, I love leave lay jobs.

And I love using chainsaws too. I'll be right in the thick of things cleanin up my sister's property. A big dumpster will be there to put the tree and bushes in along with all of the other garbage.

I don't really like barrowing other people's things because I feel obligated should the item break down. I don't plan on selling the saw. I live in an apartment but maybe able to afford a home someday. Plus a chainsaw could come in handy someday. I think I'll just spring for the Stihl. It's only $50 more than the Homelite.

On a side note, I love chainsaws. Been using them since I was 6 years old.
Then go with a STIHL 210.
L:laugh:L don't listen to these guys are they'll have you buyin' a big O MS460.

Last edited:
I only have $240 to buy a saw and some oil with.
Never would of thought I would be suggesting this but I'm now going with a Poulan Wild Thing. You'll have enough for some toilet paper, chips and cat food while you're there.

Last edited:
I've had:censored:luck with Poulan chainsaws. The:censored:won't stay running if you take you're finger off of the trigger. They stall too easily:mad:

Home Depot Rental

Home Depot rents the Makita / Dolmar 6401 saws for around $50 a day. You'll be using a professional quality piece of equipment and saving a bunch of money to boot. If something goes south, highly unlikely, it's their nickel.

Take Care

One more option: Check the pawn shops. I bought two of my saws at pawn shops for less than $100 each. One of them, a Homelite 330, has served me well for 20 years. I've probably worn out a dozen chains with it over the years.

My first was the 017 w/14" bar. Cut everything w/it. Recently switched to a 12" bar to broaden my bar length w/3 saws. You wont regret it!!!

Home Depot Rental

Home Depot rents the Makita / Dolmar 6401 saws for around $50 a day. You'll be using a professional quality piece of equipment and saving a bunch of money to boot. If something goes south, highly unlikely, it's their nickel.

Take Care

X2 Thats what I would do in your situation..

Never would of thought I would be suggesting this but I'm now going with a Poulan Wild Thing. You'll have enough for some toilet paper, chips and cat food while you're there.[/QUO

the wild thing,, i was thinking the same thing, but was to embarrassed to say,, LMAO whats funny is to hear some of the local hacks swear by this saw, LOL I was driving by the car wash a few years back and saw some hacks had all there lime green saws laid out in the wash bay giving them a good washing, me and the boys were literally crying we were laughing so hard, hell we drove up and i asked, so whatcha doing, we laughed so hard at this scene, ill never forget that guys piano smile, mumbling to something of the fact that their air compressor was stolen or broke, hell im pissing myself, remembering this story.

Latest posts

Back