Got a logrite 78 inch can hook

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B_Turner

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I just put my new 78 inch logrite can hook through some paces on some logs from smallish to around 42 inches. Here's my impressions:

I went with the 78 to get the larger curved hook (larger than 60 incher). Now that I've tried it, for what I do this larger hook is necessary. Logrite told me the 60 inch cant opened to something like 16 inches tip to tip, and I think this one is over 20 inches. The main reason I wanted another cant hook was the bigger jaw than what I have.

Well made tool, seems to be a nice hook. The 78 inch is going to be a little awkward to handle sometimes and to travel with securely (won't fit in my trailer toolbox) but naturally will sometimes be handy.

Only small gripe so far is the length of the curved tip. Since the tip is connected to the handle in the center of the end of the handle (in a hole) rather than welded on the side of the handle like my favorite cant hooks, the bar of the tool itself sometimes wants to hit against the log rather than the tip. Especially with logs where the outside is really convoluted. Like most of the larger logs I deal with. With some fussing I can get the tip to engage the log instead of the bar itself, but it is a bit annoying especially with this huge bar. I think an end hook that projects slightly further out would somewhat help the issue. I understand some of the reasons they designed the separate tip the way they did, but as with all design it involves compromise. (And remember a peavy has no hook as all.)

Have not had it long, but first impressions are favorable. But for me the ideal setup would be the 60 inch handle but with the larger curved hook of the 78 inch, and a slightly longer (3/8 inch?)toe hook.

Then we'd really be talking. If my impressions change with more time spent with the tool I'll post them.

Last edited:
Back