Got a saw question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TDK

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Looking for a top handle saw. What do you all reccomed. I am looking for something cheap, not to concerned about a nice saw right now price is the main concern. Just want something to get started with. Honestly I dont even care if it comes from a hardware store. But what are some ecconimical priced saws.

I concur with DonnyO.

I started with the Echo 340. It has been a good little saw, not quite as powerful as a ms200 but it is half the price and still does a good job.

The only drawback was that the air filter location. It was on the front of the saw and I thought it gets dirty quicker than it should. The new 330 has the filter on the back so this won't be a problem.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ECHO-GAS-14-CHA...6051941QQihZ013QQcategoryZ88435QQcmdZViewItem

Hopefully this link works.

I looked at some of the echos and so far they are loking like the saw for me. Well right now at least. As far as air filter location goes that is not a big deal at all to me. because every time I get any of my saws out I clean the air cleaner with carb cleaner whether it needs it or not. For some reason all my saws start on the first pull every time I wonder why :bowdown:

Echo

Echo on the Echo.

I would go to an Echo dealer, rather than one of those mega home improvement stores.

I heard the same model will be made for the big stores w/lower cost to consumer but lower quality, lower warranties and minimal quality in service.

Anyone else hear that ????

Echo on the Echo.

I would go to an Echo dealer, rather than one of those mega home improvement stores.

I heard the same model will be made for the big stores w/lower cost to consumer but lower quality, lower warranties and minimal quality in service.

Anyone else hear that ????

Yes, from the dealer himself.

The echo doesn't have Near the power of the 020, and I never use mine any more. For the beginner it is cheap, and it will force you to learn to make the proper cuts.

Save your money and buy an MS200. After having that echo for awhile you'll wish you hadn't wasted that initial money. I know it seems like a lot bit it's well worth it. Trust me, been there, first the echo, then the husky 335, finally the MS200. I sure wish a hadn't wasted the cash in the learning curve. Take Care, Jason

I have and use a 330t, looking back I should have bought the 200t. But I was in the same boat as you, low on $$. If you get an echo, get the 360t instead of the 330t. A bit of a warning, they have outboard clutches, and crank oilers, so if its runnin its pumping, they are adjustable though. Other than that its an easy starting, handy, light saw.

echo cs 300

best saw for the money in my opp this saw can be bought 4 159.00 and the power is improved by gutting the muffler and opening the exit hole by rolling a hard round shank around until its open wide. this saw is built to last and runs forever. it will run extra lean and be ok . this saw will out run a ms200t by 4 or 5 yrs but i still use the 200t because of comfort balance and power.
the cs300 has an adj oiler and should be cranked up to max and the filter is in front but it draws air from the flywheel and atop of the saw just below the handle. this saw will limit your ability to speed cut and can bring trouble to you by small limbs peeling before cut off be very careful and cut wisely.

in my opp nothing beets a stihl and all others feel like **** in my hands

if my only options were a cs300 or ms192 id be running a pumped up echo because of price and reliability. 192 has a poor design on the starter and fail often. a company i work with has had the new 192 fixed 2 times in 1 month. that is not my idea of saving money.:confused:

i have never had one problem with my 192.

open the muffler a little,richen the carb a little,and keep the chain sharp.

ten times better than any echo for a few bucks more.

I had some problems with a 192t. The starter recoil spring kept popping loose on a brand new saw. It happened 3 or 4 times in the first two weeks. The dealer ordered a new recoil assembly, and we have not had another problem since.

Do it right ! Do it once.

I know you said cheap , but there's really only one great top handle saw. 200T .
When I started out I bought a 192T, because I couldn't see paying over 500 for a climbing saw. Ran it a couple months and thought it was great.
Then my friend came to help me on a big job and I ran his 200T. By the end of the day I understood what you got for the extra 200.00
Sold my 192T the next week and RAN to the dealer and bought the 200T.

The only thing you need a top handle for, is climbing. And for cutting aloft, you really need the extra power the 200T brings.
Even though It cost alot more, In the end it's the better VALUE.
If you stay with the tree work, you'll end up with the 200T

If you are climbing and cutting, it's serious . And you need a serious saw. I'd hold off a bit and save up for the 200T.

Last edited:
The echo is a good top handled saw. It works well and priced right for the beginner tree guy. I have since bought a sthil 020t. Definitely a much better saw (more power). You have to start somewhere. If you want a new saw and $ is limiting you, then get the echo. You won't be sorry, however if you stick with tree work, you'll eventually own a Ms200t.

Another option is to buy a used Sthil on ebay. I was fortunate to buy a good used 020t for $200. Put another $100 into it (new bar, chain, rubber bushings, filter and some other parts) and for the price of an echo (& half the price of a new ms200t) I have a great saw. Fortunately my business has grown to the point that I could now afford a new ms200t, but when I started and money was tight I saw the echo as the saw to go with and was not disappointed.

I'm own a 200T and definitely recommend it but...

I worked for a couple of weeks in New Orleans doing lots of cutting every day and only had access to a couple of 192T's (one used, one new) and a 260. All were excellent performers, I never lacked power with the 192T's even blocking down hardwood stems. I can't say a thing bad about the 192T... I still like my 200T but if the money matters a lot, you can't go wrong with the 192T.

That 260 was a fine saw too... impressive power for such a light saw... coulda used an 18" bar and still had plenty of saw.

I'm own a 200T and definitely recommend it but...

I worked for a couple of weeks in New Orleans doing lots of cutting every day and only had access to a couple of 192T's (one used, one new) and a 260. All were excellent performers, I never lacked power with the 192T's even blocking down hardwood stems. I can't say a thing bad about the 192T... I still like my 200T but if the money matters a lot, you can't go wrong with the 192T.

That 260 was a fine saw too... impressive power for such a light saw... coulda used an 18" bar and still had plenty of saw.

I have never used a 200T...just didnt have the money when i bought one. But i really like the 192T...its a little lighter, and i 100 % agree..its great cheaper little saw....

The 260 pro...my absolute favorite chain saw of all times...i have a 20 on mine right now...and with a sharp chain it rips...is so light. i have a 25 on it when i go through brush on steep hills.

Both awesome saws.

I can see both sides of this. I like the 200T for all the above reasons. Except...........in the hands of a rookie the 200T can be intimidating and danger can happen real fast!!!

You'd be saying the same about the 335 if you hadn't given it to that other guy. With any small top handle saw things can happen fast and you need to remember that fast is/means instantly. I like a top handle in the trees for trimming and use a 335 cali with light mods.

Back