Got my Fixkars yesterday

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nomak

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So I went out and tried it out on a few pieces and it works great... only complaint of it was when you hit a log off center close to the edge it shoots a nice size little chunk of wood that gets you in the shin.. seems they launch faster than they did with the old 8# mauls will do...other than that love it.. :greenchainsaw:

Takes a little getting used to, but worth it. Remember to hit in a downward motion -- not in an arch motion. With the shorter handle than a maul or standard axe -- wood chunks may not be the only thing making contact with your shins. Enjoy safely.

Takes a little getting used to, but worth it. Remember to hit in a downward motion -- not in an arch motion. With the shorter handle than a maul or standard axe -- wood chunks may not be the only thing making contact with your shins. Enjoy safely.

when you say downward motion do you mean straight down from over top of my head or from over my shoulder like I swung my old maul

I've seen comments on the handle being short. Also seen where a user bought another with a longer handle. Is this something that was revised with different version, or were they always 28" long?

For what its worth. I cut an eighteen inch diameter piece of locust about twenty inches long and buried all but eight inches for a chopping block.helps to keep Mr. Fiskers out of the ground and out from between my toes.I was used to swinging an eight lb. maul with a thirty four inch handle.The twenty eight inch handle took a little getting used to, but between the two its the one I pick up.

so these fiskars things.. they are only about 4 pounds right? do they really split as good as a sharp 8# maul? i feel like id have to take twice as many swings to crack a big piece if i had to, but then i read so many peoplel raving about them? are they better for smaller wood? what if you got some 2' diameter with a knot or 2 in it, is it gona take 10 swings just to pop it in half?

so these fiskars things.. they are only about 4 pounds right? do they really split as good as a sharp 8# maul? i feel like id have to take twice as many swings to crack a big piece if i had to, but then i read so many peoplel raving about them? are they better for smaller wood? what if you got some 2' diameter with a knot or 2 in it, is it gona take 10 swings just to pop it in half?

That makes sense but it's not the case. The Fiskars cuts wood like butter. The first time you use it, it's like "Whoe!, what just happened?"
Once I got my Fiskars my splitting maul found a comfortable corner in the back of my shed to take retirement. It's either the Fiskars, or my maul and wedges.

Fiskars Super splitter is the best. After reading about them I figured for $50 it was worth seeing if what was being said was true. I got it about 5 months ago and have not used my log splitter since. JUST INCREDIBLE. I just brought 3 cords of rounds to my dads house yesterday and he had not seen the Fiskars in action, he couldnt understand how it could do what it did. He has been using a 12lb. monster maul for as long as I can remember. We argued most of the morning about who got to use it. As I was leaving he asked me to order him one as soon as I got home:) As far as the 28 in. handle goes I am short 5'9" so it works great for me. A Fiskars and a skid steer tire and you can be a firewood machine.

Where do you get them at? I know home depot sells fiskars so would they have them? I got hydraulics but its time my son learns the way I did, he wants to get in shape for football i'll get him in shape. Got a 50ft locust coming down tomorrow so that oughta do it.

i guess i will cough up the $50 and find one eventually if they are good as everyone says they are... must be able to swing that thing forever at 4lbs

I got one too, and they are way better than any maul or other splitting axe.
In most wood i can work circles around a hydrolic splitter elm is still a bear though. And they are sharp! Stand back and feet way apart, trust me.
They are so worth the money!!
Riderup: we were splitting 23" oak and I could split the whole round in under a minute, and my dad who doesen't cus much goes " what the hell is that thing" I had a good laugh because he couldn't believe how easy it pops the rounds apart.

Oh and the carry case is nice too!

i just joined your group,and sent a few suggestions...ill add a pic if you let me.....btw free to join my group as well. It is the Vortec 8100 fan club...they are awesome splitters.i bought 3 of them,gave one to my brother for a gift,he loves it!

Thanks John D.....I did not se your suggestions yet...hope they show up soon....Ther FB group is totally open to public, and there are no restrictions for posting or adding pictures...so please go ahead and add what ever you want.....:cheers:

Thanks John D.....I did not se your suggestions yet...hope they show up soon....Ther FB group is totally open to public, and there are no restrictions for posting or adding pictures...so please go ahead and add what ever you want.....:cheers:

You are one of the reasons I went with the Fiskars..I seen your videos,and how your technique combined with the axe made short work of the logs...here is a link to my group....also anyone else who is into big block chevys please join as well......http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?p...212397746#!/group.php?gid=310423387876&ref=mf

Most people mail order them.

Bailey's should be back in stock shortly (they're a sponsor up above).

If you go to Fiskar's site and search for a local retailer, but they are scarce:

http://www2.fiskars.com/Products/Yard-and-Garden/Axes-and-Striking/Super-Splitting-Axe-28-inch

I love baileys,but i try to buy local too.My hardware store got mine in 2 days,and cheaper than anyplace ive seen,about 40.00 out the door w tax....I got 2 from him,the maul thats over 4lbs,my hardware store couldnt get that one,so i got it thru amazon...BTW my hardware store is a DO IT BEST store,I love that place....they can get me everything

Back