Got my Fixkars yesterday

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm 6'4" and was initially concerned about the short handle. However, so long as you let the head lag behind your wrists on the downswing, then release the swing and snap your wrists with your hands low the head will go straight down. If you swing from the elbow like with a heavy maul the arc will continue toward your feet. It all works out, because this speed from the wrist snap is part of the Fiskars formula. It's kind of like a golf swing -- when a round splits just right it's like a perfect 5-iron. Really sweet impact, almost no shock.

Jack

I'm 6'4" and was initially concerned about the short handle. However, so long as you let the head lag behind your wrists on the downswing, then release the swing and snap your wrists with your hands low the head will go straight down. If you swing from the elbow like with a heavy maul the arc will continue toward your feet. It all works out, because this speed from the wrist snap is part of the Fiskars formula. It's kind of like a golf swing -- when a round splits just right it's like a perfect 5-iron. Really sweet impact, almost no shock.

Jack

Do you keep both hands positioned at the end of the handle?

Do you keep both hands positioned at the end of the handle?

I just got mine few days ago and wasnt sure about how to use it properly due to using 8# splitting mauls all my yrs of wood splitting. so the first few pieces I split didnt work like expected but know I think I figured it out or at least its working better than the way I was swinging it...What I do is put both hand at end of handle and lift straight up parrellel to my face with the handle.. Then with a quick downward swing and snap of the wrists so as to hit the wood squarely with the whole edge of the blade when it strikes the wood.. This has been working wonders for me.. Split 15 fairly large rounds of maple wood today ( although its not a hard wood but these were large pieces) but anyways it seemed as if I was only out 30 to 45 ins and really wasnt sweating to bad with the temps being in the lower 60's... So I assume with time and practice it will come to you the method that works best and you then will see the awesome and great advantage of this tool.. and on a side note being a person with soome back issues do to motorcycle wreck I can hooestly say my back wasnt hurting at all after doing this amount of wood splitting I did... Now I just have to stack it all up tommorow lol..got all summer so one thing at a time.. My back means alot to me and beings I have active 11 yr old son I want to enjoy every minute of time we can together throwing the ball back and forth or basket ball or what ever it may be.. Kids grow so fast and it seems you never get to spend enough time with them before they start chasing women when they get their drivers license if not sooner... sorry for long post but I am just so pleased with the Fiskars super splitter that I had to let everyone thats thinking of getting one how it made me feel and think before I pick up old 8# maul again... Happy Splitting to all the Super Splitter owners out there...

Best axe I've ever had the pleasure of using.

If you're on the fence about getting one...don't think about it, just get it.

I often think to myself while splitting rounds..."damn that was too easy"

You'll wonder why you didn't buy one sooner.

I am glad to hear you guys are happy with your FSS's.....It is hard to stay away from the key board and the forum after you have tried this amazing thing out.....

Here is some safety advice that I figured useful....

• Do Not swing harder than necessary
  • It is possible to split big rounds of the ground, and that way save your back from lifting...
  • Hit the "opposite side" of the round to protect yourself from misses
  • Bundle smaller rounds together with a bungee or put them inside a tire...

This axe is a back saver, and everyone will find their own way of using it....Here is my way......
:popcorn:

How do you sharpen your Fiskars?

What do you guys use to repair the cutting edge. I bought the Fiskars blade sharpener, but that really doesn't "cut" it. My blades beat up from a couple of seasons of use and the other day I hit a wedge to make it worse.

What do you guys use to repair the cutting edge. I bought the Fiskars blade sharpener, but that really doesn't "cut" it. My blades beat up from a couple of seasons of use and the other day I hit a wedge to make it worse.

I would use a FINE file, but I do not have a wet rotating grinding stone.....

I picked up the Fiskars Axe sharpener from my local hardware store for about 10 bucks. It does knives as well, but I just use it on the super splitter. Seems to work well so far!

I use a file for the large knicks.

Then I have one of my grandfathers old whetstones.

Glass of water, some paper toweling. Fire up something to watch on Hulu.

Sit at my desk, use the paper towel wad to wet the stone and to clean up the dust as I go.

Lookup on Youtube how to sharpen with a stone for the right motion...it's sort of like you're trying to take a slice off the stone....more then a shave, less then a cut.

I find it relaxing :)

If I ever find an old fashion bench and wheel, man that might be too much temptation!

Going on year #3 with mine, and I still love it. I know it seems too good to be true, but the Fiskars really is evrything people say it is. get one, you won't regret it!!!

I had the opportunity to use one last weekend chopping up a load of madrone. On the plus side, it is hands down the best non-wooden handle I've ever used. I like the "axe handle" shape, and when stuck in a piece of wood, the handle does not flex when you try to pop ity out by slapping the end of the handle. The handle feels a lot like a wooden handle in terms of how it transfers the jolt of striking a piece of wood to your hands, if anything it feels better than wood.

I'm really glad to see the enthusiasm a lot so people have for the durn things. I bought several of them to give out to crews that are working up firewood for me at work, just for the indesctuctible handles.

You can also order it from Sears. It was $44.95 for the FSS and $9.95 for the Fiskars Ax and Knife sharpener. Enter the word OFFERS in the coupon box for $5 off. Total with shipping and tax was $61.18 for both items shipped to the doorstep.

Latest posts

Back