Got my Husky 562XP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MNBobcat

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I received my new Husqvarna 562XP a couple of days ago. I've only run about a 1/4 tank of gas through it so far. I love the way this saw cuts. It pulls hard in the cut and you almost have to hold it back. Really sweet.

A few things I'm not impressed with...

Husky uses a band around the clutch as the chain brake mechanism. When the brake engages, the band squeezes the outside of the clutch. This design makes it difficult to install the chain cover when you've removed it to install a new chain. You have to screw around twisting the cover until the band slips over the clutch and then you can bolt the cover in place. (yes, I did position the brake to expand the ring before removal) It may get easier to install with practice -- perhaps just need to get used to it.

Anything you have to access frequently on a saw, should be no-fuss. There are better ways that brake could be engineered, however.

I'm also a bit concerned that they use an open clutch with exposed dogs for engagement. I'd think you would get a lot of dirt and sawdust in there. They may do it for cooling, but I'd much rather see a sealed design. There is a recess in the cover and perhaps the clearance is such that with the cover on nothing can enter the clutch -- only time will tell on that.

The handle on the saw wraps around the saw in such a way that its hard to pour the bar oil directly from a gallon jug. The handle or the hole should have been offset by another half inch or so. I don't want to screw with a funnel so I may have to get a nozzle to put on the end of my bar oil jug.

I suppose you'll find things you don't like with any saw but I was a bit underwhelmed with my first Husky experience.

However...if the saw continues to cut the way it has so far I'm willing to overlook the things I don't like in favor of a saw that so far is the best cutting saw I've ever owned.

Last edited:
Congratulations on the new saw, rep sent. It should just get stronger as it breaks in a lot of these new saws take 10-15 tanks to really get broke in. Look forward to more comments as you use it more.

Thanks. Thanks for the rep, too! I'm pretty excited about the saw. I'm not going to rev it full-out until I've run it in some. Been cutting slightly over half throttle so far with a few blips here and there.

Congrats on the new saw!

No saw is perfect, but I feel like this one is pretty close and plan to get one.

BTW, my two 346s' and 357 have the same outboard clutch and chain brake set up. I've had no problems at all. I actually prefer the "open" outboard clutch. My old Poulans also had the outboard clutch and were great saws!

Enjoy! :msp_smile:

The handle on the saw wraps around the saw in such a way that its hard to pour the bar oil directly from a gallon jug. The handle or the hole should have been offset by another half inch or so. I don't want to screw with a funnel so I may have to get a nozzle to put on the end of my bar oil jug.

Shucks,

I was kind'a hoping Husky had addressed this on their new designs. MNBobcat, this has been one of my pet peeves with usually very well executed designs on Husky saws. You just learn to live with it. On the plus side the front of the saw and lower handle mount areas never rust or corrode.

If you don't like the Husky oil fill set up, just be thankful you never owned a Partner.

Merry Christmas and enjoy the saw.

Take Care

You should run it fairly hard to break it in right. You want the rings to fully seat to get the max power out of the engine. Even though it's a stratified engine it's still a two-stroke, so the traditional break-in is desirable.

Congrats on the new saw!

No saw is perfect, but I feel like this one is pretty close and plan to get one.

BTW, my two 346s' and 357 have the same outboard clutch and chain brake set up. I've had no problems at all. I actually prefer the "open" outboard clutch. My old Poulans also had the outboard clutch and were great saws!

Enjoy! :msp_smile:

Was thinking the same thing. My 357 is trouble free, never had and issue.

Congrats on the new saw though.

Thanks. Thanks for the rep, too! I'm pretty excited about the saw. I'm not going to rev it full-out until I've run it in some. Been cutting slightly over half throttle so far with a few blips here and there.

By all means run it on full throttle from the outset - you may harm the engine if you don't. :msp_scared: Just avoid really prolonged cuts, or lots of full throttle out of wood!

Last edited:
Hi Guys,

I received my new Husqvarna 562XP a couple of days ago. I've only run about a 1/4 tank of gas through it so far. I love the way this saw cuts. It pulls hard in the cut and you almost have to hold it back. Really sweet.

Husky uses a band around the clutch as the chain brake mechanism. When the brake engages, the band squeezes the outside of the clutch. This design makes it difficult to install the chain cover when you've removed it to install a new chain. You have to screw around twisting the cover until the band slips over the clutch and then you can bolt the cover in place. (yes, I did position the brake to expand the ring before removal) It may get easier to install with practice -- perhaps just need to get used to it.

Just make sure the brake is not set, before taking the clutch cover off - a total non-issue! :msp_wink:

Anything you have to access frequently on a saw, should be no-fuss. There are better ways that brake could be engineered, however.

I'm also a bit concerned that they use an open clutch with exposed dogs for engagement. I'd think you would get a lot of dirt and sawdust in there. They may do it for cooling, but I'd much rather see a sealed design. There is a recess in the cover and perhaps the clearance is such that with the cover on nothing can enter the clutch -- only time will tell on that.

An outboard like that is much easier to clean than an inboard - again a total non-issue!

HUH, just hold the main body of the can to the front of the saw.

I suppose you'll find things you don't like with any saw but I was a bit underwhelmed with my first Husky experience.

However...if the saw continues to cut the way it has so far I'm willing to overlook the things I don't like in favor of a saw that so far is the best cutting saw I've ever owned.

I wrote my comments into the quote in blue.

560XP vs 346XP

Sawtroll; I been following the 555/560/562 posts for quite a while. I typically cut wood just a bit south of the Arctic Circle in AK, maybe a bit similar to what you have. Spruce mainly with some birch.

I purchased a new 346XPG this year. I was hoping to get a 562XP but when I saw it was not going to happen for this season, I purchased the 346. Sort of wanted one anyway.

The 346 is the first saw I have purchased in a while that I really like and a few years ago I purchased an MS361 as well. The 346 did all my wood cutting this year, which is typically about 14 cords.

Can you say anything about how you like your 560XP vs. your 346XP, for cutting typical northern firewood?

Thanks.

nspolar

Last edited:
Sawtroll; I been following the 555/560/562 posts for quite a while. I typically cut wood just a bit south of the Arctic Circle in AK, maybe a bit similar to what you have. Spruce mainly with some birch.

I purchased a new 346XPG this year. I was hoping to get a 562XP but when I saw it was not going to happen for this season, I purchased the 346. Sort of wanted one anyway.

The 346 is the first saw I have purchased in a while that I really like and a few years ago I purchased an MS361 as well. The 346 did all my wood cutting this year, which is typically about 14 cords.

Can you say anything about how you like your 560XP vs. your 346XP, for cutting typical northern firewood?

Thanks.

nspolar

Not really, as I haven't been able to really use the 560xpg yet - I need a new hip first!

The 560xp should be stronger than the 361 though (specially if the 361 is a US one), and it surely will handle better, even though the 361 isn't bad at all in that regard, for an inboard clutch saw. Of course, there is a Huge difference between the 346 and the 560, both in power and weight. The 560xp actually weights as the 361, but has a bit more power and better ergonomics/handling - I don't have to cut with it to feel the difference. :msp_wink:

Hi Guys,

mnbobcat try using a liquid detergent jug for bar oil. it is less mess with built in pour spout. the red or orange colored ones are easier to keep track of in snow good luck with your new 562xp

346xp vs 560xp

SawTroll; thanks and hope that goes well for you.

When you get around to making the comparisons let us know. I'll probably purchase a 562XP or whatever XP is available in the US in due time in any event. I have a few years of wood cutting left in me I think.

I ask you because I suspect you cut fire wood a lot like I cut. I guess I consider it average wood cutting. I am also of the age that saw comfort means a lot to me, probably a bit like you. With the 346 I found for example I could cut wood for several hours, and not really feel overly fatigued. I suspect it is that combination of weight and ergometrics that make the difference. That is what I really liked about it. The MS 361 for example, not so. The same was true of a few other saws I have recently used, i.e. they tire me out a bit too quickly (even though I would rather not admit that).

I am not in bad shape, but do have a bit of weak back, due to some issues.

Growing older has some benefits as we all know but also a few downsides. It is not necessarily in my prime interest as to how fast I can make a cut. It is more important to me as to how I feel, after felling several trees and making many a cut. If I would have paid more attention to this aspect at a younger age maybe my back would be better today, than it is.

The first saw I ever ran as a youth was a gear drive McCulloch, a 430 as I recall. A collectors item of sorts. Probably well over 40 lbs with bar, fuel and oil. Those were the good ole days I guess.

Today of course I am much older, but I am still feeling young enough to like a bit of power too!

I'll finish by saying most here seem to gravitate towards the power aspect. Actually for me that is not what I am attracted to, with the 555/562XP. It is the combination of power and ergometrics. I am an engineer as well, and I think Husky is on to something with the 555/560/562 series, and how they have oriented the cylinder, etc. Course the others could quickly catch up. Ergometrics I believe are extremely important, and considering the folk with lots of extra money to spend are all getting older, maybe more important than ever. The market is what it is, and continually evolves.

By the way I have a Norway personal number. Lived there for near 8 years, a bit south of you of course. I think I know what type of wood you likely cut.

Cheers!

nspolar

outboard clutch has never been an issue in over 20 years & 4 288xps but my 576XPG got called a few names till we switched out vented clutch for solid unit. It would plug with dust from dead Beech then kill the saw @ idle :angry:. (splitting of course):D

SawTroll; thanks and hope that goes well for you.

When you get around to making the comparisons let us know. I'll probably purchase a 562XP or whatever XP is available in the US in due time in any event. I have a few years of wood cutting left in me I think.

By the way I have a Norway personal number. Lived there for near 8 years, a bit south of you of course. I think I know what type of wood you likely cut.

Cheers!

nspolar

Cool - the 560xpg just feels like it does rev up even faster than my mm Euro MS361W, and my 346xpg, right out of the box - as I said, I haven't actually cut with it yet, because of my health issues. I have no suitable logs around here, and going to the cottage and into the woods is just too much by now....:msp_mad:

I mostly cut clean and green birch, and regards spruce as planted weeds, that doesn't belong here. It surely isn't good firewood!

He's the one on the right, twylight.
11.tod.gif

Cool - the 560xpg just feels like it does rev up even faster than my mm Euro MS361W, and my 346xpg, right out of the box - as I said, I haven't actually cut with it yet, because of my health issues. I have no suitable logs around here, and going to the cottage and into the woods is just too much by now....:msp_mad:

I mostly cut clean and green birch, and regards spruce as planted weeds, that doesn't belong here. It surely isn't good firewood!

Spure has it's place. I have many spruce that have been dead for a couple of years, standing and very dry. I cut and burn it in the summer in my Eclassic 2300 boiler . It burns very clean to heat my pool but you do have to constantly push it down as it's very light:laugh:. Burns so clean the neighbors didn't know I have this boiler:D

Latest posts

Back