Got to play in the woods over new years!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cowboy Billy

Cowboy Billy

ArboristSite Operative
Dad and I went to the farm Christmas day. And both brothers and my nephew Chase came up latter in the day. It was a rough ride 350 miles of freezing rain but we made it.

Got up the next day and made pancakes and scrambled eggs on the 100+ year old wood stove in the new cabin.

IMG_0978.JPG

Made a Yooper white birch coat drying rack

I cut off a white birch high. I cut a slab off of each side with a chainsaw while it was still connected to the stump to hold it. Then I cut some of the branches into stubs to use for coat hooks and screwed them to the slab from the back. Then screwed the whole assembly to the wall. I also made two boot drying racks. Sure is nice to have warm dry cloths when its only 6 deg F outside. And I already have two people wanting me to make them one.

IMG_0982.JPG

I also took a cedar log cut it in half and peeled the bark off. And used it for a wood rack. When it gets as cold as it does up there you want to make sure you have plenty of dry wood to keep you warm. As you can see dad likes standing next to the stove.

IMG_0984.JPG

Then my brother Timmy and I marked out the south 40 with his gps. After he left for home I took the bulldozer and started making a 3/4 mile trail around the property. It got cold but I got it done it 3.5 days. It was only 10 deg F during the day and was below 0 over nite with one nite going to -18. I had to hook a battery charger to the dozer to get it to crank over fast enough to start and it had to run over 1/2 hr before it warmed up enough to use it.

I also have plenty of firewood knocked down now all I have to do it cut it up and split it.

IMG_0989.JPG

Can you see the deer?

The deer sure love my bulldozer! They followed me all the time I was making this trail. They would come up to within 60 feet of me while I was working. I am sure I knocked down enough cedar for them to eat good all winter.

IMG_1001%7E0.JPG

Going through some big cedar!

IMG_1007.JPG

Billy

Cowboy Billy

Cowboy Billy

ArboristSite Operative
Thanks Turkeyslayer

We have a 120 acres. I kept the trail 30' to 100' inside my property. That way I can cut firewood or logs off of either side and no one has the right to use my trails unless I say so. The only trail I have right in the property line is 1/2 mile trail between me and my Uncles 240 acres

Howdy TJ

I do have a orv on it. But it does not do too well on sand dunes. It weighs 1500 lbs and is governed to 25 mph. It does not have to get very steep before it digs in. Even though that little 3cyl diesel has a lot of torque.

Hi Iplumb

I am about 45 miles past the bridge in the eastern UP near Cedarville

Billy

Circle B MN
Looks like god times for sure. I bought a piece of property a few years ago when the money was good. It's about 2.5 to 3 hours from the house. Used to get up there every other weekend (again, when the money was good), now if I make it a couple of times a year I'm lucky. Still nice to have and get away for a while. Thanks for sharing.

Hoover

Hoover

ArboristSite Member
Nice, like the idea of the log w the branches on the wall, very fitting for a cabin in the UP. My ex father in law has a couple hundred acres between Grayling & Alpena, and many of the same "toys" - which we get to use on the property. Aint nuthin like being up north!
Thanks for sharing.

tjbier

tjbier

Rep slapper
Ya I imagine the Mule makes a better skidder than duner!
My buddies $$$ Grandpa in law has a place in Hessel, nice country they can see the bridge from their property. Always a blast up there!! Thanks for sharing:clap:

Cowboy Billy

Cowboy Billy

ArboristSite Operative
It sure is MNguns

Its a different world up there. During the summer we make it up once or twice a month. When we go we usually just check to see that the weather is going to be good and go. We don't call and let anyone know we are coming. We are a 1/4 past the end of a dead end seasonal road. I don't know how they do it but by noon on the first day up my friends up there just start showing up. Two years ago I was scraping up with the dozer loading it in the dump truck and hauling it to the pad for the trailer. My best friends little brother shows up and takes over the dozer and then my best friend shows up adjusts the air breaks on the dump truck and does all the driving while I do all the loading.

I usually drive a ford feistiva up so it only costs about $60 round trip. But 6hrs and another back gets old.

Thanks Hoover

The coat racks came about because I forgot to buy coat hooks. Then my brother said he wanted logs screwed into the wall and thats what I came up with.
Aint nuthin like being up north!
You got that right. And having the toys to play with is great!!!

That's cool Tom. If you go up with him this summer pm me and we can have a few :cheers: and go fourwheeling. The mule is a four seater and its quiet enough talk while cruzing the woods. Once I get the perimeter road done I am going to find a good spot for a shooting range.

Billy

Last edited:

Latest posts