Gotta be a better way...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure how it works in the States- but you need to be sure whatever you decide to wear meets the minimum requirements for the forest, possibly State and employer rules and regulations.
Be aware, light well ventilated and easy articulated trousers are often designed for climbers and are not rated high enough for ground work (under possible rules and regulations for where you work).

Over here, in Summer- most pro loggers wear shorts under open back chaps- so the backs of the legs are exposed as such- unimpeded air flow.
Pretty much what I do, and just deal with the odd chips that make it around the back of the chaps....

Clogger ‘Zeros’ are their ‘coolest’ chainsaw protective pants (they do sell some non-protective clothing). The ‘Defenders’ are heavier, and a better choice if concerned about thorns, abrasion, etc.

$300 is a lot for a pair of pants. But like good boots, a reasonable investment if worn every day. Harder to justify for occasional use.

Maybe @Cloggerpro can provide some additional information ?

Philbert
I keep considering pants myself, as typically when I get geared up to cut wood. (With my current work schedule.) It's 3 or 4 days in a row, and lately it's been a summer gig. Light weight and cool is paramount. I'm looking forward to the new generation of cloggers and would.kove to get a set if the price point is sub $300, and they are still cool. Til then I'll keep up with my half wrap chaps, and shorts.

Not going for the leaf blower / shop vac hose cooling solution?
I got the idea from seeing cops run a hose from their squad cars’ dashboard A/C vent under their protective vests.

16A80F1D-C73A-4D90-A75C-B75DE7FEF5D1.jpeg

Would just be a step to add forestry screens to this type of helmet and run the hose down your trousers!

Philbert

I got the idea from seeing cops run a hose from their squad cars’ dashboard A/C vent under their protective vests.

View attachment 1000807

Would just be a step to add forestry screens to this type of helmet and run the hose down your trousers!

Philbert
Good idea philbert, but I'm not buying that lol.

Clogger ‘Zeros’ are their ‘coolest’ chainsaw protective pants (they do sell some non-protective clothing). The ‘Defenders’ are heavier, and a better choice if concerned about thorns, abrasion, etc.
Here is a quick vid where a guy with various pairs compared the Defender to the Zeros and said the Defenders were "cooler"

Somebody here will get rich off that idea. Good for bee swarms too!

Philbert

Funny you should mention that.
You CAN get bee suits with inbuilt air circulation fans- battery powered and thanksfully with bee proof screens over the fans!
Truth of the matter is though, you will never be safer around bees that amongst those that have just swarmed (unless they are Africanised)- they have nothing to defend, so are not as defensive and their honey gut is that full in preparation of building a new home somewhere they cannot bend their abdomen well enough to sting effectively, plus they know to sting a mammal is a death sentence.

The choice was between chaps and pants. So I would be protected regardless. It was a question of which were cooler in the warmer month and if the 400$ pants were 400$ cooler.

That being said, from what ive read on various reviews, the Defenders are their "coolest" pants clogger carries, followed by the zeros.

I did see this on the Clogger site. Im going to hold off to see if the new ones are worth it or if the older model goes on clearance.

View attachment 1000784
The new Defender Pros are unreal, but I wouldn't have said they were cooler than Zeros. Basically, if you are climbing 50% of the time or less Defender Pros will serve you better. If you are largely climbing, I would run with the Zeros! There is magic in their fibers that keeps you cool, but the Defender Pros are more durable for ground work.

The new Defender Pros are unreal, but I wouldn't have said they were cooler than Zeros. Basically, if you are climbing 50% of the time or less Defender Pros will serve you better. If you are largely climbing, I would run with the Zeros! There is magic in their fibers that keeps you cool, but the Defender Pros are more durable for ground work.
Waiting on the Defender Pro II to hit the shelves.
Addition of the cellphone pocket was a nice upgrade but was wishing for rear pocket and suspender buttons as well, easy enough to add suspender buttons myself no rear pocket is kind of a bummer.

Latest posts

Back