Gotta be a better way...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your 1st paragraph is self-serving. Who cares. Do forest fireman have this issue? Thats where you need to go. Than theres eBay, or safety chaps 101.
Im not sure i follow here bud. Im cutting cord wood, not fighting California wild fires. Their gear is vastly different from what even professional loggers use.

You could buy direct from Clogger NZ... Keep an eye on their website, they have promotions every now & then.
Edit: their free shipping covers orders over $100 to US so you'd get em for under US$280 delivered

My concern is, are they any better? Id like to try them out. Dropping 300$ (with tax) on specialized pants that leave me in the same situation im in with my chaps on would stink.

Ill have to do more digging into other guys using them and if they are effective.

My concern is, are they any better? Id like to try them out. Dropping 300$ (with tax) on specialized pants that leave me in the same situation im in with my chaps on would stink.

Ill have to do more digging into other guys using them and if they are effective.

Oh, come on. Users here on this site buy a new chainsaw on a weekly basis, as therapy. $300, pfft, noise, pocket change, daily interest earned on a savings account. Not Me, but, you know, others on this site.

Try wearing a funnycar suit on a 95 + degree with a roadster body so the sun is shining on you all strapped in very tight. Then someone oils down the track and you sit there strapped into the oven for 45 minutes or better while the track crew clean it up.

Did you see my second post linking to the write up @Philbert did? It's been a year or so since that was posted so it may be worth reaching out to him to ask how they've lasted

Did you see my second post linking to the write up @Philbert did? It's been a year or so since that was posted so it may be worth reaching out to him to ask how they've lasted
I don’t cut enough to provide the best answer to that question. This type of protective gear is very popular with professional arborists who wear them all day, every day, and who also need lots of freedom of movement. Please refer to their comments in the referenced thread.

Philbert

Not sure how it works in the States- but you need to be sure whatever you decide to wear meets the minimum requirements for the forest, possibly State and employer rules and regulations.
Be aware, light well ventilated and easy articulated trousers are often designed for climbers and are not rated high enough for ground work (under possible rules and regulations for where you work).

Over here, in Summer- most pro loggers wear shorts under open back chaps- so the backs of the legs are exposed as such- unimpeded air flow.

Not sure how it works in the States- but you need to be sure whatever you decide to wear meets the minimum requirements for the forest, possibly State and employer rules and regulations.
Be aware, light well ventilated and easy articulated trousers are often designed for climbers and are not rated high enough for ground work (under possible rules and regulations for where you work).

Over here, in Summer- most pro loggers wear shorts under open back chaps- so the backs of the legs are exposed as such- unimpeded air flow.
The Clogger Zeros, and some other higher-end pants, do provide the rated chainsaw cut protection, along with being lightweight. That’s part of the reason they are so expensive: using higher-tech, cut resistant fibers and weaves, versus cheaper, bulkier fiber pads.

Aside from saw cuts, there can be a lot of other hazards in the woods, at job sites, storm clean up, etc. The lack of full leg coverage, and sturdy footwear, would be red flags at many locations for these other issues.

Philbert

The Clogger Zeros, and some other higher-end pants, do provide the rated chainsaw cut protection, along with being lightweight. That’s part of the reason they are so expensive: using higher-tech, cut resistant fibers and weaves, versus cheaper, bulkier fiber pads.

Aside from saw cuts, there can be a lot of other hazards in the woods, at job sites, storm clean up, etc. The lack of full leg coverage, and sturdy footwear, would be red flags at many locations for these other issues.

Philbert

Yep, well aware of the Zero's and their specs- they are made about 45miles down the road from me- hence I used words like- not sure how it works in the States- often (not always) designed for- over here (complying to our regulations) and- need to be sure whatever you decide to wear meets..... instead of saying- just slap on some short pants under your current chaps and go for it!

I quit wearing chaps about twenty years ago because of what you described and went to chainsaw pants.

I have since gone thru various pants trying to get lighter and cooler and have been running a pair of Clogger Defenders for the last month or so. The only thing I have ever tested for protection ;)was a pair of chaps back in the day and they did work.:clap:

Will you like pants vs chaps vs price I dunno I know I do, If I was only wearing them an hour two a day I might think different.

Defender dislikes Price$270 from Sherril Tree.
Only two side pockets no rear wallet pocket.
No suspender buttons, fixed by adding jean buttons/bachelor buttons, suspenders keep my wedge pouch from pulling my pants down.
150lbs 5-7" 29" inseam did not care for the 30" inseam on the paints and difficult to have hemmed.

August Hunicke sp? does a you tube 4yr review of the clogger brand as well as someone last name Schultz?

The clogger chainsaw pants are worth every penny and then some. I wear the clogger zero pants all day in the summer. The latest hot weather we've been getting (80s to low 90s) and yeah that's freakin warm here in AK, the pants perform fantastic. I wear them for 12 hrs easy, every day for a week at a time. They are breathable and although I sweat a lot, it's not uncomfortable. I wear them hiking for miles at a time, felling, bucking, limbing trees or when firewising properties. I don't climb trees so I can't speak on that end but I haven't even thought about wearing chaps since I started wearing chainsaw pants years ago. I have a pair of Husqvarna tech pants for the winter/cooler temps. Bottom line, worth it! You get what you pay for more times than not. If you have an opportunity to try various pants on, then obviously that's better. I bought both pairs without trying any on first. For the applications I use them, which is quite a bit, I couldn't be more happy. Whenever these pants wear out, I will not hesitate to buy the next pair.

How do the pants hold up to berries and long-thorned plants? What about sticks/wood poking into the material?
From what I've experienced with the shrubs and thick brush around here, they've done great. There are certain plants that I've felt "press" into the pants without puncturing them and/or ripping them. I haven't been too concerned about that at all. More than the pokey plants I've had some serious stobs poke into my legs and to my surprise a few times have not punctured either. Certain areas of the pants are reinforced better than others. If they're made to stop a chain, I'd hope they're good enough to stop a thorny plant.

From what I've experienced with the shrubs and thick brush around here, they've done great. There are certain plants that I've felt "press" into the pants without puncturing them and/or ripping them. I haven't been too concerned about that at all. More than the pokey plants I've had some serious stobs poke into my legs and to my surprise a few times have not punctured either. Certain areas of the pants are reinforced better than others. If they're made to stop a chain, I'd hope they're good enough to stop a thorny plant.

Good to hear, thanks!

And yes, I agree with you on the "should" but that doesn't mean it will. We have a few plants/trees with long, thin thorns. Sometimes they pierce chaps.

I've dogged my own leg multiple times, and the dogs also go through the chaps. They are designed less for direct piercing and more for catching something moving along/with the chap....if that makes any sense.

300-400$ is a hell of alot cheaper than a hospital bill + lost time at work,family, and a host of other problems.
The choice was between chaps and pants. So I would be protected regardless. It was a question of which were cooler in the warmer month and if the 400$ pants were 400$ cooler.

That being said, from what ive read on various reviews, the Defenders are their "coolest" pants clogger carries, followed by the zeros.

I did see this on the Clogger site. Im going to hold off to see if the new ones are worth it or if the older model goes on clearance.

1656946174841.png

The choice was between chaps and pants. So I would be protected regardless. It was a question of which were cooler in the warmer month and if the 400$ pants were 400$ cooler.

That being said, from what ive read on various reviews, the Defenders are their "coolest" pants clogger carries, followed by the zeros.

I did see this on the Clogger site. Im going to hold off to see if the new ones are worth it or if the older model goes on clearance.

View attachment 1000784
Clogger ‘Zeros’ are their ‘coolest’ chainsaw protective pants (they do sell some non-protective clothing). The ‘Defenders’ are heavier, and a better choice if concerned about thorns, abrasion, etc.

$300 is a lot for a pair of pants. But like good boots, a reasonable investment if worn every day. Harder to justify for occasional use.

Maybe @Cloggerpro can provide some additional information ?

Philbert

Back