gotta keep em seperated

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's kinda separated roughly by burn characteristics, but also there are layers in the stacks due to when I bought it down. Because I prefer to mix species when I load the stove - like for example white oak with ash or something else to keep it burning hot - it's nice to have a place to grab the proper stuff from. But it's not like I have trouble telling what it is if I get to a different layer or have a split out of place. I'm not the most organized person around - people who know me would be chuckling at that for sure.

I do have an issue with stacking different length splits though. I like to load wood in the stove end-on at the bottom and cross-wise above it. I find this works best in my stove, but it means I need a slightly shorter split for the cross-wise row. But when I stack I like to put the biggest and straightest splits on the bottom for stability, where I'd really rather have a mix of lengths all through the stack.

I don't separate it. I like to mix when I burn. Some species like locust burn better with something like ash or cherry with it.
I do have a separate pile of softwoods for the firepit and camp wood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Since I scrounge most of my firewood, I seperate out species to an extent. I get a bit of soft maple (Silver and Red), so I tend to keep that seperate from most other species I randomly stumble upon.

It's kinda separated roughly by burn characteristics, but also there are layers in the stacks due to when I bought it down. Because I prefer to mix species when I load the stove - like for example white oak with ash or something else to keep it burning hot - it's nice to have a place to grab the proper stuff from. But it's not like I have trouble telling what it is if I get to a different layer or have a split out of place. I'm not the most organized person around - people who know me would be chuckling at that for sure.

I do have an issue with stacking different length splits though. I like to load wood in the stove end-on at the bottom and cross-wise above it. I find this works best in my stove, but it means I need a slightly shorter split for the cross-wise row. But when I stack I like to put the biggest and straightest splits on the bottom for stability, where I'd really rather have a mix of lengths all through the stack.

That's why I do the three rows wide stack. Outside rows are more uniform, inside row is shorts, longs, doglegs, crotches, over nighters, etc. Just chucked in there mostly loose and airy.

I grew up with just huge tossed up piles of wood, no stacking and no way sorted? I do stack all my wood now, that's about all the OCD that I indulge in my firewood categorization;)

Cure time for me.

Whatever cures in 6 months all goes in the same stacks. Ash, soft maple, most elms etc
Things that need 1 year cure in other stacks. fruit woods, hickory, hard maple etc
Things that need 2 or more years cure in other stacks. red oak, locust etc

6 months stacks btu all over the place, 1 year stacks are all high btu, 2 years stacks very high btu.
In general btu will be semi sorted out with cure times, but exceptions do exist to that rule.

In general if you create similar stacks of wood you will have 4 stacks 6 month cure wood, 2 stacks 1 year wood and 1 stack 2 year+ wood.
Sorting to individual species sort of happens as you stack even if you don't try you will easily be able to tell what is what.

Then it becomes burn 6 month cure wood until it's cold and before it's warm, 1 years stacks for normal winter fires and 2 years stacks for cold nights like this entire winter LOL

Strange fact though with stacks sorted that way you will burn 1x 2 year wood, 2x 1 year wood and 4 x 6 month wood so it works very well to what you stack and cut normally.

It all goes together and it all burns just fine. There are more important things to worry about.

How can you stand the different Spieces mixed?
That is just WRONG..

To each their own..

Yes I do play with my wood alot :)

my wood piles are logs that I stacked there with the skid loader. so I keep them separated into 4 piles. first pile is mostly hedge and ash, stuff I can burn this year. 2nd pile is soft wood, cottonwood, poplar, elm. 3rd pile is stuff that needs to be seasoned for 2 years, oak. 4th pile is stuff I burn that smells really good, I save this pile for days I'm working in the yard and i'll be smelling the smoke all day, apple, honey locust.

my wood piles are logs that I stacked there with the skid loader. so I keep them separated into 4 piles. first pile is mostly hedge and ash, stuff I can burn this year. 2nd pile is soft wood, cottonwood, poplar, elm. 3rd pile is stuff that needs to be seasoned for 2 years, oak. 4th pile is stuff I burn that smells really good, I save this pile for days I'm working in the yard and i'll be smelling the smoke all day, apple, honey locust.

Latest posts

Back