Gotta love Craigslist......

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeepyfz450

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
So here an older 066 posted on craigslist near me.

this is the posting word for word

"i have an older stihl 660 for sale. for the most part its compleat. its missing an airfilter and the filter cover. also it need the rim sproket, felling dogs, brake handle and bar and chain. for what it has now the saw is a good running saw. starts up after a couple pulls. im askin 500 or best offer. email me if interested or have any ?s i should have pis up soon. thank you for looking"

So you need to buy an airfilter, filter cover, rim sproket, dogs, and a bar/chain. wow is it just me or is that crazy expensive for half assed 066. I mean i paid 650 for my cherry 660 with a BN 24'' bar and 2 chains.

Maybe im just in a bad mood but it seems like there are so many people on craigslist that think there stuff is made of gold.

I saw that add also. I laughed at it. It does seem like there is a lot of crap on craigslist. I can't say too much, I have gotten a few good deals also.

May have been a typo. I myself know what my things are worth. If I list something on Craigslist I mark it up quite a bit and say or best ooffer. I do this because it seems people see something for say $500 and try to buy for $100. II currently have a 357 Husky on there listed for $375. The saw is 2 years old. A new one is over $700. So what is the saw worth? IIt all depends if your buying or selling. AAnother thing I learned is when I was trying to sell an old pickup I wanted $500. Listed it for $500. Not one call. Couple months later a friend told me to list it for $1,500 and my phone would ring constsntly and my inbox would be full. He was right and I sold that truck for $1,000. The reason I got no calls was the price was too low and people thought there was something wrong with the truck wwhen in reality I just wanted it gone. I did give my friend $250 for helping. That is why some things on CL seem priced high. JMO.

I have found more deals on craigslist for chainsaws than anywhere else.

I just bought a brand new Echo 3450, never had gas or oil in it, with the case, and even has the tags on it. These saws are not liked by many here, but they are great carving saws. I paid $100.

I usually overprice my stuff on CL as well. I had a 290 listed for $285 once (which I got) and some douche emailed me telling me he could get brand new ones for $250. I told him to go over there and get me 10. Never heard back on that one. I figure an extra 15-20% on to the price for haggling. If the saw is nice, I don't negotiate until the buyer has taken a look at it. Lots of folks willing to offer you half what you're asking without even looking at it.... I find they're not nearly as cheap when you are face to face.

I usually overprice my stuff on CL as well. I had a 290 listed for $285 once (which I got) and some douche emailed me telling me he could get brand new ones for $250. I told him to go over there and get me 10. Never heard back on that one. I figure an extra 15-20% on to the price for haggling. If the saw is nice, I don't negotiate until the buyer has taken a look at it. Lots of folks willing to offer you half what you're asking without even looking at it.... I find they're not nearly as cheap when you are face to face.

I agree. One thing I don't like is haggling. I have found and got some good deals on CL. I had a saw on there for sale. The guy came over to look at it. When he started it the coil started crapping out. He passed and I didn't blame him. Pulled the ad and still haven't fixed it. Lol

I'm wary of any saw that's not complete. A saw with even a couple missing parts suggests to me that it had problems at some point, someone got half way into fixing it & gave up. Or the saw had known issues and parts were scavenged from it to fix another saw.

I had a good laugh over that 066 myself. My take is if he likes his saw that much he ought to just keep it.
The Elmira corning and Ithaca craigslist's are a real buyer's market for saws that's for sure. A $250 creampuff 044, $300 vgc 2171, $80 dolly 116si in exc cond, real nice 034 for $120, $100 266xp in vgc, 038m2 for $170 in grc are my best scores over the last 2 years..

I had a good laugh over that 066 myself. My take is if he likes his saw that much he ought to just keep it.
The Elmira corning and Ithaca craigslist's are a real buyer's market for saws that's for sure. A $250 creampuff 044, $300 vgc 2171, $80 dolly 116si in exc cond, real nice 034 for $120, $100 266xp in vgc, 038m2 for $170 in grc are my best scores over the last 2 years..

I know your my biggest competition lol. did you buy the 044 recently? i emailed a guy on an old metal tagged 044 and he wanted 350 for it...... i never tried to lowball him on it.

:cheers:

I bought the 044 in Harford, out 79e of Ithaca and north on some other rt. I've had it for more than a year.

Don's log n chain has decent deals on used saws sometimes.

I'm pretty much done buying saws for awhile at least so have at it. I've thought about getting a dump and trying to sell firewood on a larger scale but the market seems pretty saturated.

Last edited:
Haven't been to one in awhile so I couldn't tell you. I could almost have a small one up here at some point if I get a load of logs, although there's alot of work that needs to be done to get to that point.
I've really been wanting to learn more about falling from a pro or at least someone who really knows their ####.

I saw an ad on CL today about some saws so I called. They said they a Stihl "two-nine-zero." The first line was "I have the receipt here and I paid $475 for it, we want $250" Saw an ad in the paper yesterday advertising the MS290 for 359 out the door. Not that $250 is a bad deal if the saw is cherry, but to me it's not even worth the ride.

It doesn't matter what you paid for it new. CL is funy, either it's a smoking deal, or it's just under retail and beat to hell.

CT

Haven't been to one in awhile so I couldn't tell you. I could almost have a small one up here at some point if I get a load of logs, although there's alot of work that needs to be done to get to that point.
I've really been wanting to learn more about falling from a pro or at least someone who really knows their ####.

Well i am no pro but i can drop trees safely and efficeintly. I drop all the trees for friends and family that are firewood cutters. I have taken some game of logging classes when i was in school. I can show you the basics sometime if you are interested. Im not sure how much you know now.

Back