Gotta love them flippy caps!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was lookin' to buy a 441 a few months ago and the only thing I even slightly dreaded was the new-style caps due to complaints I had read about on this forum. I didn't dread it anywhere near enough to hesitate to shop for the saw, though. Now I have the 441 and have experience with the flip caps. Result: non-issue. They work great. The screw-types on my other saw work great. Both types work great. Overfill the oil reservoir on either saw and I have a mess, doesn't seem to matter which type cap I'm using. Luckily, I only overfill about once a year. But the cap isn't the problem there, it's me being an idiot and overfilling.

Lmao!!!

They suck !!!!!!

Cant say they suck,,,prob. save me about 25 or more seconds outta my life at a time instead of havin to unscrew a cap off and back on....
Just waitin for more people that get a lap or leg full of gas or oil...LOL!!! Really a wonderfull invention from Stihl,,but you have to watch yourself,,and make sure it's seated.....It's got it's good points and bad....

???? They work whether they are in open air, under water, under oil, under gas, full of chips or covered in chips.

It doesn't matter if the tank is full or not or overfilled they work.

The fact that this is being discussed is disturbing. Its akin to saying you can't figure out how to put the choke on or that the choke is too complicated, because its not a wire with a push and pull arrow on it, Holly cow people.

It is a "flipping cap" for god's sake, LOL, admitting on a public forum that you can't consistently "figure it out", does nothing to promote your family line or genetic history.

There is the safety police and then those that will make things more complicated even if its just for conversation, Why?

Stands in amazement,

Sam

Mercy, imagine the IQ's or common sense in an applicational sense of those that wouldn't or don't have a problem with them.

I must have hired smarter people, still never had a problem, heck my little boy when he was 7 and little girl when she was 6, was filling the oil and gas tanks up and capping them. I've got regular genuis's on my hands now.

Life is looking good, as I thought they were just common in the smarts department, but thanks to a simple Flip Cap, I know that the sky is the limit smartwise with them.

Thank you, Stihl,

Sam

Please take him a Stihl saw with the flip caps and see if he can correctly and consistently operate one.

This is something that needs further research.

Correct operation of the flip cap might be a sign of intelligence on a whole new level, possibly a more operational level or something.

Can we get a government grant for this?

Sam

Well, I guess we know how to get you riled up......:blob2::hmm3grin2orange:

A little sawdust on the shop floor, wipe off the shoe, no big deal. I'm over it. Guess it's just another example of the old proverb, "Haste makes waste." Had I not been in quite the hurry, I'd have been more careful in checking to make sure the cap was properly engaged. Not that big a deal, just frustrating at the time.

Sam, if this thread helps you feel better about yerself and yer young'uns, then it is a success. I encourage and mentor at risk (usually way past "at risk") kids for a living, and often a little joke at my own expense is just the thing to break them out of their mood, laugh a bit, and be ready to learn sum math an' cipherin' an' whut nought. Helps to keep my own ego out of the equation, cause it ain't about me. The kids know that, and that's part of why they trust me.

Raymond, I will have a closer look at the caps next time I have one off the saw. I never bothered to look at them closely, because whenever I had them off, I was in the middle of cutting wood. Thanks fer posting those pics.

Glad to be able to provide so much entertainment for so many people!:laugh:

Slightly flip cap problem different but I gotta ask

I asked about a fliptop issue a week or two in a different thread but didn't really get an answer that really satisfied me. When I saw this thread and all the input I figured I'd go to the others having these kinds of flipping problems. Text of the original note follows...may someone here can comment about the sticking:

I have a 361, a trimmer, and an edger. They all have the same twist off gas cap design. This afternoon I went to gas them up and check them out and all three caps were frozen so tight I couldn't twist them open with my bare hands. I was able to open two of them with gloves on but on the third I had to use a bit of leverage from an open monkey wrench and it finally loosened too. I realize I'm 71 and have a little bursitis in both shoulders but c'mon, even I should have been able to easily twist them off.

All three tools were new last year and I had no difficulty at that time. Is this "normal"?

I was able to replace two of the caps with no problem but on the one I used leverage on I must have gotten the top part of the cap out of sync with the lower part that has the keys that fit into the tank keyways. I could twist the cap in but the flipper part would not lock into place. I found that the little tit on the fliptop was not anywhere near the indentation it was supposed to rest in when closed and that was keeping it from seating properly.

Figuring I had nothing to loose I "fooled around" with it until I managed to get it synced up again and it now seems to work OK. It seals well enough that no fuel leaks out of it when turned upside down.

Did I ruin the cap by doing this?

Is this unusual?

Should I replace the caps and if so, can I get them on-line from one of the site's sponsors.

Y'all can stop laffin' now

It looks like I might have used the technique posted in this thread without really knowing what I was doing. In any event, has anyone else experienced this...I'd just like to know how common this might be. The fact that all three tools did it leads me to believe it ain't all that unusual. (the oil cap on the 361 did not stick) My mix was 50:1 Ultra and Chevron Premium.

Maybe y'all would never experience it since you probably use the equipment on a daily basis or at least *much* more frequently than I do...maybe the O ring gets sticky if you don't use the cap that often?

Sorry xwray, I don't have an answer for you. I have a little trouble with the gas cap on my 200T being a little sticky but I just work it and use a little elbow grease and it comes off. I believe the problem might be that one of my ground guys got frustrated with the flippin cap when he was trying to get it to seat properly and marred the threads a little. It still seats and seals but it's a little sticky to put on and take off.

Funny thing is, I never heard one complaint about the old style caps in the field or on this forum. I have heard several complaints about the newer flippy caps. that in itself tells me there is an issue with the new caps. IQ, mechanical ability or family genetics not withstanding...

Just ruined a brand new pair of jeans yesterday filling the oil tank on my 460 for my brother to borrow the saw. What a mess.....

That's just your saw sayin':

Why you goin' do me like that bro?
Please, please!! I'll be good, I swear!
I don't think you really want to do this. But if you insist, how about I pee on your pants?
Don't expect me to be here when you get back!!

Funny thing is, I never heard one complaint about the old style caps in the field or on this forum. I have heard several complaints about the newer flippy caps. that in itself tells me there is an issue with the new caps.

Sorry but that tells me nothing. The old caps were the same basic threaded style cap used by everybody since ???? Nothing unique or different about them to complain about. Now along come these new fangled "different" style caps. It's human nature to resist change, doesn't necessarily mean there's anything wrong with them they're just not familiar.

Just consider how people first reacted to computers.

Sorry but that tells me nothing. The old caps were the same basic threaded style cap used by everybody since ???? Nothing unique or different about them to complain about. Now along come these new fangled "different" style caps. It's human nature to resist change, doesn't necessarily mean there's anything wrong with them they're just not familiar.

OK, I'll phrase it a little differently. I never had to wear oil soaked pants due to the older caps not being properly screwed on by either myself or my help. Never had a computer dump oil on my pants leg either. It would be easy to blame it on the help and say that they are dumb asses but kind of hard to do that when I have been guilty of not properly screwing one on myself. If that means I'm a dumb ass or genetically inferior then so be it. I do pretty good with what I have to work with.

Don't use computers for an example use the 441 in place.

Sam

I dont resist change,,but....

Teacherman was lucky,,he just got a dose of oil,,when you get your crotch full of mix,,your gonna cuss...
P.S. I did thought the flippy cap was on good,,,at the time...LOL!!!!

OK, I'll phrase it a little differently. I never had to wear oil soaked pants due to the older caps not being properly screwed on by either myself or my help. Never had a computer dump oil on my pants leg either. It would be easy to blame it on the help and say that they are dumb asses but kind of hard to do that when I have been guilty of not properly screwing one on myself. If that means I'm a dumb ass or genetically inferior then so be it. I do pretty good with what I have to work with.

Sorry, hopefully if it's your guys with the problem it's them wearing the oil! :cheers:

I too hated these caps at first. Why it's the oil cap only is beyond me.

I took these pics of a gas cap just now, so I wouldn't get oil all over my fingers.

One day after getting pissed off about it. I thought...OK let's check this out, something is wrong here and it ain't crap in the threads or over filling.

Here it is guys...

The cap should look like this when you put it back in.

When it is giving you trouble, look at it and you will see it will look like this.
One counterclockwise turn holding the top and bottom will snap it back together and it will go right in.

Now my help and I know what to look for and never have a problem with them.

When you do get it to go on right, it's because without knowing it, it popped back down in place.
Hold the cap with both hands and turn it and you'll see what it's doing and what I'm talking about.

This is what I needed to know!!!!! Try dealing with the flippy cap that is out of alignment on a windy, cold nasty day in the woods...Made me want to toss Twinkle in the road and run over her. Hands are numb, clothes are wet, coldness from being stopped working too long, and the :chainsaw: won't snap shut.

I have no idea what my IQ is. My mama always hinted that I was pretty dumb.

THANKYOU RAYMOND FOR EXPLAINING IT IN AN EASILY UNDERSTANDABLE FASHION.

Now, if Stihl would write that up in their owners manual--which I actually read.

yeah the flippy caps suck. I almost got a boot in the a#$ one day cause of it. My dad asks me to go to the garage and get the blower (br 550), fill it with gas. I fill it, put the cap (so i thought) on and bring it down. On the way back I smell gas...back of my leg is soaked. So is the drive way he just put in! He was ready to kill me. Stupid cap.

I like the screw caps better than the flippers, but I did figure them out after pouring bar oil down my back twice....

This thread is farkin' awesome!

Yay flippy caps... :clap:

Again... never had a problem at all with those caps...

Gary

I agree on the awesome.

I haven't had issue with flip caps, but always wondered how the heck they thought them up. Never needed, just something different.

For the love of god.

It appears to that time of the month when somebody starts an ****** thread about threaded vs. flip caps. Yes, the small oil caps can be a little trouble if you overfill the tank. BFD. Pull on the stupid thing before you assume it's tight. Hike up your skirt and stop crying. There's no crying in timber falling. If you're gonna piss and moan about it this much, buy a husky.

I'd insert the dead horse animation, but what I'd really prefer is a smiley bashing itself in the head with a 2x4 in order to capture my true feelings. :bang::bang:

For the love of god.

It appears to that time of the month when somebody starts an ****** thread about threaded vs. flip caps. Yes, the small oil caps can be a little trouble if you overfill the tank. BFD. Pull on the stupid thing before you assume it's tight. Hike up your skirt and stop crying. There's no crying in timber falling. If you're gonna piss and moan about it this much, buy a husky.

I'd insert the dead horse animation, but what I'd really prefer is a smiley bashing itself in the head with a 2x4 in order to capture my true feelings. :bang::bang:

I'm sorry you are so upset about this. Go ahead and get it off your chest!

It is safe here, you can let it out. :greenchainsaw:

Ol' Cram-it-in-Sam thinks he's all that don't he?
2637728339.jpg

You guys are welcome. I haven't contributed
much here, it's the least I can do.

Latest posts

Back