Gouge In Drum

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elektrobot

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Noticed this while cleaning my saw this evening. Anything to be concerned about? Also, the drum does not seem to be "square".....as in, the outer rim is just slightly oblong, and if I lay it flat on top of my bar, it does not sit flush in 2 spots. Maybe it's supposed to be like that, or maybe I can use this as an excuse to go ahead and get a power mate rim set and try a few different size rims.

Thanks for any input

View attachment 36213

Make yourself happy go buy a new one at least you'll feel better then.

That mark in the drums outer section is strange has it always been there ??

Mc Bob.

When the saw was new, this mark was not there. I know this because I bought a Stihl with the secondary chain brake mechinsism built into the rear handle- and I removed the drum to see how this feature works. I would have noticed it then. The drum seems to be made of pretty hard metal, and it would take a lot to gouge this deep. I'm realizing now that I maybe should look further into what gouged it rather than be concerned about the gouge itself.

thanks for letting me think out loud

Looks like mabye its a heat crack.

Does it go through to the inside?

If so ditch it, as when it fails your clutch will explode and take your big toe off.

It looks like a manufacturing defect. Replace it if it makes you nervous, cheap and easy. Run it if not. Tap the side of the drum by the mark, it should ring like a bell, if not you should replace it. It should also sit square and not flex. Make sure it is not cracked all the way thru with a pair of pliers.

Justsaws said:
It looks like a manufacturing defect. Replace it if it makes you nervous, cheap and easy. Run it if not. Tap the side of the drum by the mark, it should ring like a bell, if not you should replace it. It should also sit square and not flex. Make sure it is not cracked all the way thru with a pair of pliers.

I like this one. It's a manufacturing defect. If you hit it and it buzzes or sounds different than what a bell would, you have a problem. I like the plier idea too. Exactly what I would do. I don't think it is a structural problem at all, but this would tell you quick.

Chopwood, you are just being a big meanie.

Mark

Latest posts

Back