Granberg Break-n-mend - can it work?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They really are a handy tool. I wouldn't try to produce loops for sale with one, but for the guy making his own chain or fixing a broken one they work great. I've made about four chains at a sitting from a reel and man it will give your hands and arms a workout! The only complaint I have is they didn't put a lock on it like a regular vise grip so you really gotta keep a firm grip on it when your bearing down. Otherwise worth the money for sure.

Old thread, but I figured that's better than starting a new thread.

I can push out rivets with my Granberg. however, I am having a heck of a time figuring out how to spin the rivets with it. I studied the instructions someone posted, but can't make it work. The rivet head is still noticeably narrower than the "stock" rivet heads, barely wider than the shank, and there is a little play between the drive link and side straps. none of that makes me feel comfortable or confident the rivets want break at the wrong moment.

Is there a trick to spinning with this thing ? Could someone knowledgeable walk through the process ? It seems like the instructions want you to reverse the tool on the chain. I cant even get it to reform the rivet tip.

Old thread, but I figured that's better than starting a new thread.

I can push out rivets with my Granberg. however, I am having a heck of a time figuring out how to spin the rivets with it. I studied the instructions someone posted, but can't make it work. The rivet head is still noticeably narrower than the "stock" rivet heads, barely wider than the shank, and there is a little play between the drive link and side straps. none of that makes me feel comfortable or confident the rivets want break at the wrong moment.

Is there a trick to spinning with this thing ? Could someone knowledgeable walk through the process ? It seems like the instructions want you to reverse the tool on the chain. I cant even get it to reform the rivet tip.

In the old saw shop back in 1970 we used a granberg break n mend to shorten chains. Then when we got into buying rolls, we went to a dedicated breaker and spinner.

Actually the granberg is a pretty darn good breaker, but as a spinner it lacks. We would begin putting chains back together with the Granberg, and use the spinner to an extent, but then peen the rivets finally with a ballpeen hammer on the anvil part of a vise. Really no big deal, as the rivets do not need to look like new to hold. Actually you just need to snug the rivet up so there is no slack. Sure it is nice to have it look spiffy, but as long as it is snug, the wood chips will fly!

Bob

as a spinner it lacks. We would begin putting chains back together with the Granberg, and use the spinner to an extent, but then peen the rivets finally with a ballpeen hammer on the anvil part of a vise. Really no big deal, as the rivets do not need to look like new to hold. Actually you just need to snug the rivet up so there is no slack. Sure it is nice to have it look spiffy, but as long as it is snug, the wood chips will fly!

Bob
Bob, thanks for the reply! My problem is that the rivet is not snug - there is a visible gap between side strap and dive link. Also, the rivet head barely looks bigger than the shank. I haven't tried ball preening it... But I am so bad with a hammer I'd be worried about messing up the chain. I ended up ordering a spinner but I doubt I will get it in time for some (hopefully) weekend milling, so I might have a go with a hammer.

Terry

I have been using mine 25 or 30 years now and I wouldn't be without one. It is like a vise-grip in that you exert a strong force only when the mechanism is near top dead center, so frequent adjustments of the adjuster nut are required. Every threaded adjustment on it would be more natural to operate if the threads were reversed. I find it easiest to do the operations with the chain extending out past the edge of the bench far enough to position the tool over the link being worked on.

I had one, but it got bent. It was either weak, or I'm too hammer fisted.
John

mine too best thing i did was give it away the next best thing i did was this

attachment.php

mine too best thing i did was give it away the next best thing i did was this

I gave up and bought a spinner that looks like the one deye223 shows (but I guess they all look the same).

The instructions suck though. I can't figure out which way the part of the rivet to be spun down should point. Towards the handle that does the spinning? Or away ?

I'v got one, used it a few times, breaks chain just fine but working the rivets tight takes some work, better than nothing

I gave up and bought a spinner that looks like the one deye223 shows (but I guess they all look the same).

The instructions suck though. I can't figure out which way the part of the rivet to be spun down should point. Towards the handle that does the spinning? Or away ?

Up , and start out with light pressure as you spin the handle , and keep tighting up as you spin it , takes a few minutes , then your just pi$$ed and pooped.

Cary

the part to be spun faces Towards the handle that does the spinning

as already said, take small bites (tighten the knob on the handle), turn spinner handle a few times and take another bite.
Also, lube the spinner shaft inside its mount. helps it spin a little better. It'll still seem like alot of work though

as already said, take small bites (tighten the knob on the handle), turn spinner handle a few times and take another bite.
Also, lube the spinner shaft inside its mount. helps it spin a little better. It'll still seem like alot of work though

Thanks to you guys, I got the spinner working today. Boy, is it ever easier than that Granberg. My rivets look perfect. Although, as I was tightening down on the device my chain had a tendency to want to move around, but it didn't seem to affect anything. Thanks again everyone.

it will do that roll in the direction you are cranking in and don't forget a drop of oil on the anvil it helps stop the presets from cracking :cheers:

Granberg Break n mend video

There is a video of this item on the Granberg web site. If you go on to their web site and lookup the video section and select the video of the Granberg G106b file n joint, 5 1/2 min in there is a demonstration of the Break n mend in action. They make it look so easy.

Reusing rivets?

Today I used the Break n Mend for the first time to take a link out of .325 Stihl chain. One the tie straps was broken, but the cutters still had some life, so I figured I'd try shortening it.

Has anyone had success reusing the rivets? I did, but I'm not sure how well it'll hold. As you can see in the picture, some rivet material came off when I pushed out the rivets. So when I spun them, it's not quite as good as the factory. The links are pretty tight, and I hit them a little with a ball peen hammer after spinning. I also had some trouble getting the reshaped rivets back into the cutter. The rehshaped ends were slightly mushroomed and I had to file them a bit to get it to go together.

welcome to AS.

Some folks do reuse the straps, some don't. So, my opinion is biased because I feel that when you consider the cost of a preset and the speed of a chain, I'll spend the fity cent.

Always hard to tell in pics but I wouldn't feel comfortable using that chain.

Just called the Stihl dealer to see about presets. Sales guy knew what I was talking about but had to look them up ("I've never sold any. We only stock loops. No one builds chain anymore...") Looked it up, none in stock at their 7 stores, none in stock with the distributor. Says maybe I could order some, but minimum order could be 100 packs....... Looks like the going price on eBay is more than a buck apiece. Bailey's looks better, but then you add the shipping.....

Just called the Stihl dealer to see about presets. . . . . Says maybe I could order some, but minimum order could be 100 packs.......

Your STIHL dealer is not being straight with you or is seriously misinformed. My local STIHL dealer has been in business for over 50 years and sells chain off the roll, so they always have little drawers of all different sizes, types, and brands of pre-sets (yes, the number of different combinations is staggering).

When I had a whole bunch of chains to resize, I ordered STIHL pre-sets and tie straps in bags of 10.

Oregon pre-sets generally do not fit STIHL chain - they will fit many, but not all Carlton, Windsor, and Woodland Pro chains. You need to get pre-sets that fit the correct pitch, gauge, brand, and type of chain. Some work on several different gauges, some are gauge specific. So if you are buying off of eBay, etc., beware of that. Newer tie straps are even directional (different right or left side) if you get fussy, due to the low vibration designs, but that is probably less important than getting the correct pitch, rivet diameter, and bearing thickness.

I may re-use tie straps if they come off cleanly, but would only re-use a pre-set as an 'emergency'/field repair, like with a Granberg tool, and would replace it with a new pre-set back at home using a bench breaker and spinner.

Philbert

P.S. - a photo of a 'creative' repair I posted in another thread. I think that there were 3 to 4 different brands/types/sizes of tie straps used on this one loop, not counting the upside down and inside out placement.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Latest posts

Back