Granberg Break-n-mend - can it work?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a Granberg, picked up off the Bay for cheap... My advice is look at chain being broke and go from the side that was spun originally as it will be much easier. Also some rivets will come out with enough material to be reused and others will not. My advice on spinning is to use oil, and spin with fairly light pressure as you can split the spinner head. Overall I would say they work decent, and with the price they can be picked up for they are a decent piece of equipment to have, as they can be used either at home or in the field.

There is a video of this item on the Granberg web site. If you go on to their web site and lookup the video section and select the video of the Granberg G106b file n joint, 5 1/2 min in there is a demonstration of the Break n mend in action. They make it look so easy.

here's mine

[video=youtube;VtGViS6Rg-k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtGViS6Rg-k[/video]

Thanks for the welcome, half_full!

I tried the Break n Mend again, this time to shorten a 3/8 chain that had stretched too much. I reshaped and resused the rivets and tie strap. Seemed to work better because more rivet material was left after pushing them out.
View attachment 282700

I called another local Stihl and Husqvarna dealer. They did have .325 Stihl presets, but no 3/8" ones...

Overall, I like tool well-enough. It can be a little tedious, but it does the job.

I called another local Stihl and Husqvarna dealer. They did have .325 Stihl presets, but no 3/8" ones...
Overall, I like tool well-enough. It can be a little tedious, but it does the job.

I would like to have one as a 'field tool' if I found a decent one at a garage sale, etc. There must be hundreds of them sitting around. You should be able to get decent results with new pre-sets. But you would want a bench set if you do a lot of chains.

You might want to try again with some of your local STIHL dealers and ask if they can order them for you. You might have to buy a bag of 10, but not 100. I had to order the pre-sets and the tie straps separately. But I was able to get exactly what I needed (was 'stretching' a bunch of 62DL chains to 67DL loops).

The busy guys get stuff in every week or two, so you should not have to pay any special s/h if you are willing to wait for their next re-supply.

Philbert

My Granberg tool has served me well for many years. They work well when used correctly, which took some learning on my part. Like any Vise-Grip style tool, the jaws apply great force only when the toggle link is near top-dead-center, which means the jaw opening nut must be incrementaly adjusted, a little at a time, when breaking the rivets. Likewise when spinning the rivets. It would be easier to use for me if the adjusting knobs turned right-hand like everything else. I find that breaking the rivets works better under good lighting so that the rivets can first be dimpled dead center before punching them out. I don't use it as much since I got a bench breaker and a spinner, but I wouldn't be without the Granberg.

I would like to have one as a 'field tool' if I found a decent one at a garage sale, etc. There must be hundreds of them sitting around. You should be able to get decent results with new pre-sets. But you would want a bench set if you do a lot of chains.
Philbert

With all the bad reviews I've read I would bet there are more Granberg's laying around than mini mac's.

I break, build about 2 chains per year. I know I can use basic punch/hammer to do this but the Granberg does OK for my needs.

A good thread to revive.

I have a conventional spinner and breaker that I like. I picked up a Break-N-Mend from a clearance pile (after being notified by an A.S. member - thanks Tim!) so that I can have it in the field if needed, as noted above.

The comments and suggestions posted earlier in this thread have been very helpful in understanding how to use it effectively. Especially those on the gradual pressing of the rivets and re-setting the pressure knob. They really supplement the pictograph instructions on the Granberg website. Thank you to all who contributed.

I am going to try it out on some scrap chain, and will add any brilliant flashes of insight if they arise.

Thanks again.

Philbert

Had to order a replacement punch for the used Granberg I got - was worn down to a nub.

Good news: Bailey's stocks them for $4.99. Bad news: the shipping will kill you if that is all you need.

Good thing to put on your 'next Bailey's order' list, especially if you sometimes need to make a minimum for a special offer.

Philbert

Got the 'Break-' part down (sort of); need to work on the 'N-Mend' part

Playing with a scrap loop of 3/8 low profile chain.

The new punch makes a big difference - important thing to check on a used one. The information posted earlier in this thread also helped a lot - the part about squeezing a little, squeezing the other rivet on the pre-set, turning the knob a little, repeat, . . . .

I think that having experience with a bench type breaker also helped, However, it is much harder to center the rivet under the punch, and since the Granberg is hand held, it is also harder to snug up the adjustable anvil on the tie strap. A third (experienced) hand would help.

Most of the rivets popped leaving a ring of material around the punch, meaning less material to spin if re-used. When I tried to re-shape the used rivets according to the instructions, they came out too fat to fit through the other tie strap. So I wasn't able to try the spinner. I suppose that this means the user should carry new pre-sets, which is what the chain manufacturers recommend. I'll have to try spinning some new pre-sets, although, they cost about a buck a set to practice on.

I'll also have to try other pitch chains - 3/8 low profile chain has a reputation for being slightly fussy even with bench model spinners and breakers. Might be different with larger/heavier chain pitches with thicker tie straps.

Philbert

The presets are another 'for the next order' type of purchase. I ordered a variety from Baileys so I have them on hand.
I also grind the rivet heads to make punching easier.

I'm thinking of this as an 'emergency' / in the field tool for me. Like when a saw with an outboard clutch gets stuck in a tree and you have to break the loop to free it. Hard to use a pocket anvil in that situation, and hard to grind the rivets (I guess, unless you carry a cordless Dremel - but then, you could just cut the chain with an abrasive wheel).

From my limited use, my basic, Bailey's spinner and breaker set is 100X better for shop use (and I think that the new version might even be better).

http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/144859.htm

Philbert

Had to order a replacement punch for the used Granberg I got - was worn down to a nub.

See a difference?

attachment.php

Bump.

Had a number of side conversations on this tool recently, so its worth bringing this thread to the top (even if most of the photos are missing).

Granberg https://granberg.com/product/g605c-break-n-mendbreaks-rivets-chain/

Instructions http://www.baileysonline.com/PDF/granberg_46605_instructions.pdf

Bailey's http://www.baileysonline.com/Chains...eak-N-Mend-Portable-Chain-Breaker-Spinner.axd
*Note that Bailey's also sells replacement punches, anvils, etc., if you have an older model that needs 'refreshing'.

Philbert

Bump.

Had a number of side conversations on this tool recently, so its worth bringing this thread to the top (even if most of the photos are missing).

Granberg https://granberg.com/product/g605c-break-n-mendbreaks-rivets-chain/

Instructions http://www.baileysonline.com/PDF/granberg_46605_instructions.pdf

Bailey's http://www.baileysonline.com/Chains...eak-N-Mend-Portable-Chain-Breaker-Spinner.axd
*Note that Bailey's also sells replacement punches, anvils, etc., if you have an older model that needs 'refreshing'.

Philbert
Unless they've made some major design changes of late I still say these things are junk.

Granberg Video
(mentioned earlier, but some of the links no longer work)

Break-N-Mend starts around 5:51. Note: does not show the incremental method that several comments above indicate is important for using this tool successfully - might have tried to make it look simpler.

Philbert

Back