Granberg File Guide Setup

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CTYank

Peripatetic Sawyer
Reaction score
Drum roll, please. I finally figured how to do what it took to restore the pix to this show & tell guide, per request.

This setup procedure has evolved for simplicity and efficiency, for wide variety of cutter types & sizes.

1. Clamp file to match cutter in holder. Mark first tooth for start reference, unless double-tooth or such avail.

2. Place guide base on bar, about 1/3 back from the tip. Set ht. so that front clamp sits just above rivets. Set main clamp ht. so that chain can move without interference. In pic, notice that rear clamp is a bit too low.
01_SetClampHt.jpg

3. Set horizontal angle for rt-side cutters, in this example. Typically 25-30 deg. from perpendicular to chain.
02_SetAngleAboutVert.jpg
4. Initial file ht setting. Drop it in groove, set tooth backside against stop and set ht. so it drags lightly on bottom. Raise it slightly, say .010".
03_SetFileHt.jpg
5. Check file ht with finger on top of tooth & file. File should be ~1/10-1/5 of its diameter above tooth. Finger works better here than eyeball, typically. Be sure adjustable stop stays clear of file "carriage"- it's meant to help you to file teeth evenly, but just gets in the way, except for depth gauges.

6. File cutters on one side X# of strokes each, depending on condition. Could be 2-10, dull to rocked. Always file "inside-out" (file exiting @ cutting edge), with no force on return stroke, regularly brushing chips from file. (They dull the file.)
04_FilingRightCutters.jpg

7. After filing last tooth on first side, flip guide about, and do other side the same. Same angle setting.
05_FlipAngleForLeftCutters.jpg

This guide has served me well for ~35 yrs. Hopefully it can make sharpening work for you. Sure extends useful life of chains, and files. No doubt, others will correct/amplify the above for all our benefit.

Next installation will be "Filing Depth Gauges With Granberg." Pix also restored there.

It's just an excellent sharpener guide and well proven for like 50 years.

I always recommend it to all - price is right @~ $30 - and it's all metal..!!
:cheers:
J2F

File guide

Was just helping my neighbor take down a dead pine. He showed me his dad's old McCullogh file-n-joint (yellow)...looks almost the same, maybe a little sturdier in build. I told him to clean it up and use it....they work....my Granberg is just fine.

I have one and like it. It takes a little bit to figure out how to make it go effectively, but once you do that these are awesome.

I have one and like it. It takes a little bit to figure out how to make it go effectively, but once you do that these are awesome.

Many folks have said they had probs figuring out how to set it up and use it, so my intent was just to make it easier for those who've not had the pleasure. And maybe get tips for stuff I've missed.

At least now that I've finally figured how to wrap the html tags to display the pix. Doh. :msp_rolleyes:

Depth gauges are really simple. Forget all the kludgy guide widgets.

Was searching about the granbergs and found this post. I really like the sharpener but I've about given up on it, hopefully it's just my bad get up on the unit and I can start loving this thing before it goes into the junk pile.

I set to 30 degrees on a brand new 3/8 stihl chain today, I had the side tabs set on the rivets, my issue was the slide slides fine when no filing, nice and smooth, but when filing it gets jammed, I sometimes have to pull it through from the far end of the handle, or only get short 1/4 strokes in. Once and a while I can get 1-3 full strokes before it jams again. Does anyone else have this issue?

A little oil on the slide bushings helps.
The side tabs should hold the rivits down, set them on top of the rivets and holding the chain snug.
They keep the chain from riding up on the file making the file too deep in the gullet.

If the chain rides up/moves around it may tend to jam the file making it stick and jerk. It will not sharpen well with the cutter moving.

I tighten my chain adjuster so the chain is fairly tight. this helps keep the chain in the same place relative to the file.

Snug chain and snug side tabs make a big difference. The file then cuts smoother and less binding/catching.

I have the bar in my vise and then stand facing the end of the bar. I then use both hands , one at each end of the file.
Then 1,2, maybe 3 strokes of the file and move chain.

Get a hunk of felt or good sponge material to put under the guide rod between the bushings. Soak it with oil, it does make things smoother.
If you can find an old set of ignition points they had a good hunk of felt on them. I am old, I get the What are points or dwell from some of the young whipper snappers!!!

A little oil on the slide bushings helps.
The side tabs should hold the rivits down, set them on top of the rivets and holding the chain snug.
They keep the chain from riding up on the file making the file too deep in the gullet.

If the chain rides up/moves around it may tend to jam the file making it stick and jerk. It will not sharpen well with the cutter moving.

I tighten my chain adjuster so the chain is fairly tight. this helps keep the chain in the same place relative to the file.

Snug chain and snug side tabs make a big difference. The file then cuts smoother and less binding/catching.

I have the bar in my vise and then stand facing the end of the bar. I then use both hands , one at each end of the file.
Then 1,2, maybe 3 strokes of the file and move chain.

Get a hunk of felt or good sponge material to put under the guide rod between the bushings. Soak it with oil, it does make things smoother.
If you can find an old set of ignition points they had a good hunk of felt on them. I am old, I get the What are points or dwell from some of the young whipper snappers!!!

Was searching about the granbergs and found this post. I really like the sharpener but I've about given up on it, hopefully it's just my bad get up on the unit and I can start loving this thing before it goes into the junk pile.

I set to 30 degrees on a brand new 3/8 stihl chain today, I had the side tabs set on the rivets, my issue was the slide slides fine when no filing, nice and smooth, but when filing it gets jammed, I sometimes have to pull it through from the far end of the handle, or only get short 1/4 strokes in. Once and a while I can get 1-3 full strokes before it jams again. Does anyone else have this issue?
i know its not the right way, but try putting the file in backwards so you pull the handle toward you, cutting from inside the tooth to the point. it works!

Latest posts

Back