Granberg....worth the price.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

regulate34

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi guys.

It’s time to upgrade my chainsaw mill. The one I have is old and was given to me. And has seen some repairs in it’s life.

I think I know the answer. But are the Granberg mills that much better built then the many “off shore” brands. That are 1/3rd the cost?

I like to save a buck like every one else. But also belive in buy once cry once. I don’t want a rattling mill that won’t hold a setting.

Any thoughts?

I have not tried the other brands so I cannot speak to their quality. I have a granberg it doesn't seem like it would be too difficult to duplicate by the "after marketeres". Just food for thought, maybe you are different, but chainsaw mills seem like something you might use everyday, they are not. They are fun, but they are a lot of work and effort for what usable product you get in return. I see them quite a bit on cragslist also. I recently got a hagdon lumber mill it works alright also. I guess what I am saying for what you actually get in return, one that costs 1/3 might be about alright for what you get out of it. Unless you need some beams, rough cut lumber, live edge lumber, rarer hardwoods or have a cabin you are building. Maybe they have been most successful in making Youtube videos over the past couple of years.

I haven’t used any other brands either, but I have read posts by some who have bought the Chinese Clones, and wrote of shimming clamps and brackets to square them up, my Granberg Mills and equipment are Very Well built, and designed, and produced with Quality materials

A Basic Granberg mill is only a couple hundred dollars, will the money you save be enough to offset the headaches?

Granberg offers EXCELLENT Parts Availability and Customer Service

With ANY typical CSM the “Listed Size” is just the overall length of the frame rails, NOT the mill’s Capacity OR the bar length you need for the mill

On the Granbergs, and mills of that design the capacity between the inside faces of the bar clamps is about 2.5” less than the mills listed size, and you will want a bit more width than the log you are milling. A 36” mill will typically be 33.5” between clamp faces at Maximum adjustment, 30” would be the largest you would want to mill regularly

You will typically need approximately 6” more bar length than the Listed Size of your mill to get the Maximum capacity from your mill

Yep, I learned all these issues the Hard Way

To ME, Granberg are Worth the extra price, YMMV

Doug

I made the mistake of buying an ebay chinese clone of the Granberg mill.
Absolute rubbish, nothing was square, if you put the bar in the mill, the bar bowed badly, on a 36" bar it was almost an inch it was so poorly made and built.
one message to the seller, and it was returned and I got a refund.
not long after I came across a second hand Granberg, and it was perfect.

Pay once, cry once, enjoy the milled timber for a lifetime.

the only thing to come out of china that works is the cov19 virus.

Kinda what I was figuring.

Never thought about the bar not being mounted square on the cheap ones.

Thanks for the advice. Found a disturdter near me in Canada. Going to put together a order soon.

Thinking I’ll get a cannon bar to go with it.

Something that I forgot to mention, although I am sure you would get great results with the G776-XX (XX being the Listed size of the Mill, in Inches) Try to get a G778-xx series mill, the 778 series mills have the upgraded CNC end brackets, rather than the Cast end Brackets of the 776 series, all the parts are interchangeable between the 776 and the 778, the 776 is NLA, replaced by the 778, but you may find some NOS 776 somewhere, at least Know what you are ordering. If you do order a NOS 776, at least compare prices, and make sure that you are getting a decent discount on the 776. The 776 is still a Great mill, but the 778 is More Desirable

You can order "Handle and Rail" sets to make your Mill different lengths if you want, if you buy a 36", and end up needing a 48" or larger, you can order the handle and rail sets up to I believe 84", in 12" increments from 36" on up. over 48", it is advisable to add another end bracket to the middle of the mill, to help stiffen up the longer mill. Granberg has virtually every part available, as well as some add ons too, their Customer Service has been Great to deal with.

I really Like their "EZ Rails" system for guiding the mill, you Really only need a Guide system for the first cut, but I use it for every cut, maybe with practice, I would get better, but I was getting "Bar Dive" beginning and ending my cuts without it. You may do better than me.

The Granberg EZ Rails are made out of the same material, as the frame rails, so if buy a 5' set, it can be converted to a 60" mill by swapping the EZ Rail hardware to the Mill Hardware from your existing mill.

I ordered most of my milling gear from Power Equipment Direct, on ebay, their current prices are

G778-24 $199.99/Free Shipping

G778-30 $219.99/Free Shipping

G778-36 $229.99/Free Shipping

G778-48 $249.99/Free Shipping

G777 $159.99/ $33.53 Shipping
Small Log Mill

G555-B $$129.99/ $24.82 Shipping

The G777 Small Log Mill is similar to the G778 series, but only clamps at the thrust end, and not the bar end, and is only intended for bars up to 20"

The G555-B Edging Mill, formerly known as the "Mini Mill" is used mainly for edging cants, works very well, especially after the first cut is made with the main mill, giving a flat surface to work with

If ordering the G777 or G555-B with a larger mill, it should ship Free as well,

Enjoy, and stay SAFE, and HEALTHY ;)

Doug :cheers:

Hi guys.

It’s time to upgrade my chainsaw mill. The one I have is old and was given to me. And has seen some repairs in it’s life.

I think I know the answer. But are the Granberg mills that much better built then the many “off shore” brands. That are 1/3rd the cost?

I like to save a buck like every one else. But also belive in buy once cry once. I don’t want a rattling mill that won’t hold a setting.

Any thoughts?
I have the 48 inch Alaskan mK-lV
I just look at it as an investment because I do a lot of milling and furniture builds
It’s really easy to setup and use, depth adjustment is a breeze and they make attachments for it like an automatic bar oil feed which makes things even easier
You won’t regret spending the extra few bucks

The Granberg have CNC aluminum brackets and a much better guide bar mount than my other "no brand" one.

The CNC made brackets makes a vital difference as they make the guide bar at 0* and perfectly straight after you tightens the guide bar mount screws.
The press molded aluminum brackets makes the guide bar in to an "S" shape because they are not perfectly 90*.

The bar mount screw attachments on the Granberg are some kind of a speciality, because they have high hardness steel balls at the end of the screws that grooves in to the bar.
The bar mount on my "no brand" one just acts as a simple clamp, not dimentioned for the force involved either.

RIMG0066.JPGRIMG0067.JPGRIMG0068.JPG

To those who need the money for food and clothes; don't worry about it - you'll get the lumber done.
To those that can afford it; yes, there is a significant difference.

Latest posts

Back