GRCS: some criticism by a non-owner

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been getting by without a GCRS, but I don't want too!
Next big purchase for me. If it sits next to my big saw and collects dust for a while, that's fine.

again I repeat the words of the Capt

"Newt take this, its better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it"

I have been getting by without a GCRS, but I don't want too!
Next big purchase for me. If it sits next to my big saw and collects dust for a while, that's fine.

again I repeat the words of the Capt

"Newt take this, its better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it"

I agree.....and that drill option is just sweet. I would likely use it most just to tension heavy stuff to eliminate shock load. Also love the plug in hitch ability as well.

grc

Have used mine for over 2 yrs. Once your learn its capabilities for tensioned limbs or logs. Going big in a large removal take down is a huge time saver.
And yes the 3\4 rope does work with winch.
And yes the rope can be pulled of winch if your not careful.
And yes the chainsaw will cut body part off. Be smart and safe with all equipment.

attachment.php

To bad you guys dont live in Europe! Steven Ibelings has recently designed this beauty! Winch on the inside, take big pieces on the frame.

may be an opticle illusion but doesn't look like you could get many wraps and looks like you could cross wrap easily locking the load from descending? Any experience with that machine?

may be an opticle illusion but doesn't look like you could get many wraps and looks like you could cross wrap easily locking the load from descending? Any experience with that machine?

:agree2:
Looks like it has alot in the way. But could be just the way the pic is

Also love the plug in hitch ability as well.
I often picture my F-250 dangling in the wind! Wonder how many times, someone tied of to their light duty truck, took a big piece, piece went down, truck went up, had to of happened somewhere!

That was for the technical info. Prices will be cheaper than the GRCS in Europe, probably more expensive in the US (probably because of shipping and dealers etc)

I'd like to see a side view of it anyway.

Snooping around and found the Stein/Reg machine at around $1200 I think and the other 2 at approx. the same price (twice as much?). Look to get more with the GCRS as far as options....drill capable, hitch insertable....just to mention a couple.

Wonder how much damage to lines are caused by the Reg machine?

Probably the same as any bollard. friction is friction, though there would be less of a chance of fiber grabbing since you can avoid turns touching.

--------
There is a risk of the unit slipping when the strap for a bollard is higher then the device. I like to set mine up so that the GRCS is slightly higher then the strap on the back of the tree.

attachment.php

Last edited:
There is a risk of the unit slipping when the strap for a bollard is higher then the device. I like to set mine up so that the GRCS is slightly higher then the strap on the back of the tree.

attachment.php

I belive the bollard was set up on this tree for photographic reasons only. No lowering involved :)

But in general a good tip!

Probably the same as any bollard. friction is friction, though there would be less of a chance of fiber grabbing since you can avoid turns touching.

--------
Was referring to the lifting aspect (for rope damage) where the line is pinched manually (as opposed to gravity engaging it) with max force with the pinching/lifting part of the machine.

There's no damage Dave, otherwise it wouldn't be on the market. We prioritized High Impact Loading above all else, throughout the Stein LD range....obviously the Dual packs plenty more than that also by way of options.

If It were possible I'd buy a GRCS also, regardless of cost....but obviously I have a slight conflict of interest in that respect.

Steven's Euro/Harken adaption looks like a beautifully engineered piece of work, smart thinking merging the Bollard and winch together like that. I would just like to see what is at the back to stop it shooting up under a heavy jolt. I would also like to hear why the strap attachment points are set level with bollard, exerting far more force on the strap than what would be if it were set below, as is the norm with fixed LDs. Perhaps we'll learn all the in's and out's as the product gathers pace.

Back