GRCS: some criticism by a non-owner

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love my GCRS. I just got mine at the begining of the summer, and I noticed a few changes from the pics you see on all the websites selling the GCRS. There is only on fairlead on the top. There is a lowering eye that swings out on both sides of the frame. I have used it 3 times and I dont regret buying it, just like I dont regret buying my Stihl MS880 saw.

So the GRCS is handy for accessing the tree spurless also? That would be a big selling point to me. How slow is it when used in this manner? Been dreaming about the Wraptor system for quite a while, seems like the GRCS could possibly kill 2 birds with one stone if it's not too slow. Is it safe to use a cordless drill in this application? How big of a drill would be ideal for this? Lots of questions I know. Lot of places around here you'd never get a crane to.

So the GRCS is handy for accessing the tree spurless also? That would be a big selling point to me. How slow is it when used in this manner? Been dreaming about the Wraptor system for quite a while, seems like the GRCS could possibly kill 2 birds with one stone if it's not too slow. Is it safe to use a cordless drill in this application? How big of a drill would be ideal for this? Lots of questions I know. Lot of places around here you'd never get a crane to.

YOud need a really good cordless, I would go for a gas drill myself

Its a force multiplier. On many jobs its worth as much as having an extra guy on the job. Safer and easier for climber and groundie, easier on ropes, more predictable swings and less chance of doing damage to man or property. My poor mans DIY copy is currently broken and having to go back to a rope brake is like going back to hawser ropes and wraps around trunks.

Id rather give up my pp346xp for a poulan wildthing than give up my winch for a ropebrake (we still use the portys alot of course) on big tree dismantles

Cordless is ok, but a corded high torque unit like the Milwaukee Hole Hog is the best for the job. Good Rigging sells a bit/chuck/whatever for the purpose. When I have used it for re-entering the tree, going working up/down type removals, or just going back for the clock...I have them crank or pull the line to take some of the load of my climb.

Now that i have the Wraptor, I rarely use The Winch for entry.

I've had my unit since 2001 or so, and use it 2-3 time a week at least. Sometimes for just one rig, or for a lot of little pieces over rooftops or gardens. Once you get the low-friction concept down, you learn to lace several redirects throughout the tree, then the groundie can suck into the load so it comes off in a controlled fashion.

I want to get a stihl gas drill for use with my GCRS. I would love a wraptor too. Boy my wish list just keeps getting bigger and bigger. lol

Latest posts

Back