Greasability on clutch bearings

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rob066

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
You can grease A Husky outboard clutch by greasing at the end of the crank. Stihl not so I ve seen so many worn cranks it is stupid. I pull my ms 461 drum weekly and smear grease on them.

Oil is fine

Its a non sealed needle bearing. I want an oil to help keep the bearings cleaner.

Sent while firmly grasping my Redline lubed Ram [emoji231]🛻

Alot comes down idle t[me

otot

Exactly. The clutch drum is only rotating at a different rpm from the crank, only at idle. If the chain is moving and the clutch is fully engaged, the clutch drum, bearing, and crank are all moving at the same speed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I seem to recall from the manual to my Husq 445 that it was recommended to "oil" the clutch needle bearing by applying a drop of oil to the cluch center/shaft - every now and then. That said I hate outside clutches - its a hassle to remove/mount the chain and impossible to service. Other than that I usually go over my saws with a little more than pressurized air to clean them up and do such things before every season - which is now.

I use a straight moly grease, NOT moly fortified. The grease I use was made by BelRay. One piece the size of a grain of rice lasts at least a year and is still present when I take the clutch off for cleaning or inspection.

I have never really come across a crank damaged by lack of grease, usually just foreign material damage.
MY experience. I have been servicing saws for 30 yrs. Every clutch drum bearing gets a thick coat of LubriMatic Hi-Temp. wheel bearing grease. Code #11380. Its blue and doesn't sling like std. grease products out there. Still on the first can, my Dad bought. As a PS, every bearing should be lubed with every service/cleaning of the clutch area, even if thats weekly.

MY experience. I have been servicing saws for 30 yrs. Every clutch drum bearing gets a thick coat of LubriMatic Hi-Temp. wheel bearing grease. Code #11380. Its blue and doesn't sling like std. grease products out there. Still on the first can, my Dad bought. As a PS, every bearing should be lubed with every service/cleaning of the clutch area, even if thats weekly.
Yes, I agree. I use high temp bearing grease. The clutch when cutting can become very hot at times along with the crank. Hot enough to burn you.

Keeping the bearing clean and lube is part of maintaining. Slop too much in there it spins out to the clutch shoes.

We have shared chainsaws for trail work that I seem to keep them going. For the past 2 years in a row our Stihl MS362C-M the users seem to not remove the sprocket drum to clean and lube. It has been tagged twice as a non runner. The bearing is so bound up that it is locked solid, so when you pull the starter rope the chain on the bar will spin. Of course with the chain brake on you can not pull the starter rope.

I know it is just simple cleaning and maintenance for us but at the same time it should be for them too. But it seems it is not the case! I think I should do a movie to show them how to clean out the clutch and lube a bearing. I'm sure some of them would not get the oiler rod back in the grove on assembly properly.

Ok rant off....I'm glad I have my own saws to use out on the trail.

Back