Grease

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ValleyForge

Liberty Farms
Reaction score
Has anyone switched to synthetic grease? Is it better, worse, or indifferent? it’s about 2x the cost and was curious if it’s worth it Or if there are any compatibility problems with regular grease….

I use about 20 tubes a year on everything from trailers to farm equipment to wheel bearings and ball joints. For years I used to buy several different grades for different applications to save a few bucks here and there but ended up switching to lucas red n tacky for everything and told folks to come back or tell me to come grease as needed during maint or buy it specifically themselves. The yearly trailer bearing jobs stopped on the salt water boats and now last 3+ seasons, pto shaft u joints lasting 2 seasons are now lasting 5+ and the list goes on. Its double the price but its far superior, I want to try schaffers but damn a case is expensive.

I have been using Kendall Blue for close to forty years out on the farm. I grease everything from loaders to wheel bearing and everything end be between. It seems to hold up well. Got a buddy that swears by Lucas red and tacky. I did pack some flat bed wheel bearing with it a couple years ago to test it. Seems to be holding up fine.

The most important thing, no matter what grease, is to grease often. Why do newer cars/tucks front ends go to crap? They stopped putting zerks on the parts. I'm still running a 1940 ford N tractor. I'll grease all the zerks while I'm waiting for the motor to warm up. Plain Jane grease is fine.

Some greases are not compatible with each other.

Save high end greases for applications like disc brakes and corrosive/marine environments, unless you are too lazy to use the zerks. Worthwhile on packed bearings where it is a PITA to take apart and repack. Then $pend on the good grease to save maintenance upkeep.

No synthetic grease on my eggs.........

The most important thing, no matter what grease, is to grease often. Why do newer cars/tucks front ends go to crap? They stopped putting zerks on the parts. I'm still running a 1940 ford N tractor. I'll grease all the zerks while I'm waiting for the motor to warm up. Plain Jane grease is fine.

Some greases are not compatible with each other.

Save high end greases for applications like disc brakes and corrosive/marine environments, unless you are too lazy to use the zerks. Worthwhile on packed bearings where it is a PITA to take apart and repack. Then $pend on the good grease to save maintenance upkeep.

No synthetic grease on my eggs.........
Depends on the value of the machine! If you have an expensive Chipper you better use the best grease on those main drum bearings. What if the parts aren't avail with all that is going on lately ,now you are out of business! Penny wise dollar foolish! I just bought a new spider tracked lift guess what grease is going to be used ? All my machines are very critical to running my Tree Service so I use synthetic grease and don't care about the cost.

Depends on the value of the machine! If you have an expensive Chipper you better use the best grease on those main drum bearings. What if the parts aren't avail with all that is going on lately ,now you are out of business! Penny wise dollar foolish! I just bought a new spider tracked lift guess what grease is going to be used ? All my machines are very critical to running my Tree Service so I use synthetic grease and don't care about the cost.
There are applications where you don't need to be spendy. I just plowed and harrowed the garden with the N, 82 years old this spring. It don't care what kind of grease, as long as it don't get dry.

As I said high end or severe applications (I imagine your chipper spins pretty quick with heavy loads) u$e the good $tuff1 9N ford.jpg

use EP grease in my old & new tractor.
My old tractor is a TO-30, same as a 8n, it was manufactured in 1950s.

There are applications where you don't need to be spendy. I just plowed and harrowed the garden with the N, 82 years old this spring. It don't care what kind of grease, as long as it don't get dry.

As I said high end or severe applications (I imagine your chipper spins pretty quick with heavy loads) u$e the good $tuffView attachment 988891
First glance I thought that was one big tree behind the tractor.

Not mentioned and not particularly relevant but one mandatory requirement for
synthetic grease is when your equipment operates at temps below when regular
grease freezes solid. There are various greases with different and incompatible
base formulas such as lithium but I forget what their special applications are.
I do know that when they are mixed they can disolve each other and you get
close to zero lubrication so it is worth paying attention to. I think a lot of brands
rely on that to scare you into only using their brand by not telling you if they
are or are not compatable with other brands and by not telling you their main
components.

Don't remember what brand or kind of grease but i was always having zerks plugged up. tthought the extra money was worth spending on machinery,,, one tube out of twelve and I set it aside .. still in the shed somewhere.

Latest posts

Back