Greasing Clutch Springs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use heavy gear oil. Take the chain cover off your saw. Lay your saw on it's side with the clutch facing up. Pour your oil of choice in the center of the clutch till it comes close to rising to the level where the clutches come in contact with the rim, but don't pour so much in that it comes in contact with the clutch surface area. This oil will slowly seep into the bearings below. Leave it overnight if using a heavy oil like me...heavy gear oil is very tachy and stays put longer. Manuals will tell you to do this once weekly, but I do it every time I use my saw...I'm anal though ;)

My procedures for getting my saw started is...

1.) Top off the fuel.
2.) Top off the bar oil.
3.) Oil the bar-end sprocket (75w-90).
4.) Lube the clutch bearings (75w-90).
5.) Re-tension chain with upward pressure on bar.
6.) Run through cold start procedure.

HUHHHH?

Gotta see some pics!!!!!

I only use Stihl synthetic clutch grease. Sure it's expensive, but my plastic Poulans and cheap Macs are worth it.

As necessary as making sure you have fuel in the tank? Definitely not.

But I've definitely worked on older saws for folks who brought them to me due to broken clutch springs. Several times, the broken springs were due to a saw sitting for a long while on a concrete floor, and then being started for the first time in a while. The springs had rusted and broke.

So, while it's not like greasing your clutch springs needs to be a daily practice, the greasing them could only help with rust prevention. I'm just sayin...

I think chainsaws should bite some people and not apologize for it, then put grease on the owner right in the cut and then smile.

I think chainsaws should bite some people and not apologize for it, then put grease on the owner right in the cut and then smile.
You should use ointment to lube your bar then. I don't Chainlube or grease in my blood.

Latest posts

Back