Greasing sprocket tips?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moronmountain

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So I've read here whilst doing a search that some peeps don't like to grease the sprockets on their bars. Why is that, and is that really the general consensus?

I think it's because the chain-oil probably lubes the sprocket tip enough anyway.

Do not grease the nose, once you grease it, the grease forms a barrier round the bearing so oil can't get in to it. If its been greased take your grease and put chain oil in it. Now use it on the nose, pump it until oil is coming out freely. Don't grease it again, bar oil well keep it lubricated.

I've greased my bar tips for years. No issues that I am aware of so far but honestly can't say whether it helps or harms.

If you stick with Stihl you won't have to worry about it

Why won't Husky make a decent bar that doesn't need to be greased?

That so far is my biggest ##### with the 550 along with having to grease the clutch bearing. Two issues that Stihl does not have

If you stick with Stihl you won't have to worry about it

Why won't Husky make a decent bar that doesn't need to be greased?

That so far is my biggest ##### with the 550 along with having to grease the clutch bearing. Two issues that Stihl does not have

With either brand you don't have to worry about it.

With either brand you don't have to worry about it.

Then why does Husky spend the money cutting holes in their bars??????

They are so bored they need to find something to do?

or maybe it's just for weight reduction...

So I don't get why everyone acts like a jerk when you happen to ask a question that's been asked before. If the only purpose of this site was to use "search" and try to find the answer you're looking for, then what is the point of even joining? I mentioned in my first post that I in fact found some comments about greasing sprocket tips, but obviously didn't find an answer that was convincing to me, so I made a post. I'm sure every single possible topic regarding chainsaws has been discussed here at some point in time, and in one way or another. However, even when searching, you don't always find exactly what you're looking for.

For everyone that responded to my question in a positive manner, I thank you. For everyone else that rolled their eyes or otherwise acted like a jerk, don't read my friggin post if you don't want to. The fact that you were part of a previous discussion that I was not involved in doesn't make you superior, cool, tough, or whatever you think you are. If you act like that to people face to face, I can see why you are SO knowledgeable about what goes on here. It's because you don't have any friends in real life, and you have to try and be cool on the webernet.

Gary - Haven't heard from you in a while, nice to see you are still around.

To the OP, some folks learn one thing or another and just stop there...others keep trying. Like most subjects you will get a lot of opinions and quite often two opposite ends of the spectrum will both be fully convinced they have the only right answer. The topic has been discussed a number of times including a recent reopening of an old thread on the topic so some may just be a bit more sensitive right now.

Try again in 6 months and see if you can get some more thoughtful input.

Mark

Stick around..there are some "which saw should I buy", "how do I cut this tree", "my saw won't start, and a couple of "is Stihl better than Husky" threads you can help us with.

Might even find an oil thread for ya. :msp_biggrin:

dang bob,, thanks for the ideas,, I have been racking my feeble little brain for weeks for new threads:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

So I don't get why everyone acts like a jerk when you happen to ask a question that's been asked before. If the only purpose of this site was to use "search" and try to find the answer you're looking for, then what is the point of even joining? I mentioned in my first post that I in fact found some comments about greasing sprocket tips, but obviously didn't find an answer that was convincing to me, so I made a post. I'm sure every single possible topic regarding chainsaws has been discussed here at some point in time, and in one way or another. However, even when searching, you don't always find exactly what you're looking for.

For everyone that responded to my question in a positive manner, I thank you. For everyone else that rolled their eyes or otherwise acted like a jerk, don't read my friggin post if you don't want to. The fact that you were part of a previous discussion that I was not involved in doesn't make you superior, cool, tough, or whatever you think you are. If you act like that to people face to face, I can see why you are SO knowledgeable about what goes on here. It's because you don't have any friends in real life, and you have to try and be cool on the webernet.

You need to dial it down a notch. If all you're looking for is "an answer that was convincing to me" you're probably looking for somebody to validate what you've already decided to do. After you've been here awhile you'll realize that that probably isn't a good idea.

You've been asking questions in several threads here and I've read most of them. You've received a wealth of information and the collective knowledge of a lot of very sharp people. People have been, for the most part, polite and generous with their time and their advice.

We were all new at one time or another and we all got razzed a little when we asked questions. You might get kidded a little. Deal with it. Or not. Everything you would ever want to know about saws is available to you here. Use it or don't. Your choice entirely.

Try the Search function, there's a ton of information available there on greasing bar tips. What it comes down to is that some people do and some people don't. It's one of the longest running arguments on AS.

If it makes you feel good to grease your sprocket tip then go ahead. Grease it often if you grease it at all. Or just don't grease it. Most of the guys I work with don't grease.

You need to dial it down a notch. If all you're looking for is "an answer that was convincing to me" you're probably looking for somebody to validate what you've already decided to do. After you've been here awhile you'll realize that that probably isn't a good idea.

You've been asking questions in several threads here and I've read most of them. You've received a wealth of information and the collective knowledge of a lot of very sharp people. People have been, for the most part, polite and generous with their time and their advice.

We were all new at one time or another and we all got razzed a little when we asked questions. You might get kidded a little. Deal with it. Or not. Everything you would ever want to know about saws is available to you here. Use it or don't. Your choice entirely.

Try the Search function, there's a ton of information available there on greasing bar tips. What it comes down to is that some people do and some people don't. It's one of the longest running arguments on AS.

If it makes you feel good to grease your sprocket tip then go ahead. Grease it often if you grease it at all. Or just don't grease it. Most of the guys I work with don't grease.

I am not looking for validation at all. I do use search, but apparently I missed the "correct" threads, because all I read was "don't do it," and no one said why.

At any rate, I just like being able to phrase a question in a way that makes sense for me. I just don't get why someone would post in a thread just to be rude. This forum is no different than other forums I read, or have read in the past. Most of the other forums I post in I am more knowledgeable on the subject matter, and an more than happy to answer a "newb's" question. If I know of a useful thread, I would just link it, but I would still give an answer. If I thought the question was dumb, I simply wouldn't respond to it. I don't type and differently than I would talk to someone in person. I can't say that is the "norm" however.

Chill out, they are just teasing you. There were idd some threads going on about this subject very recently. I've searched one, and it goes under the name "Simple question - chainsaw bar grease gun". The thread derailed a bit and there is more in it about the sprocket tips than the grease gun.

I've seen that Philbert liked a post here but hasn't reacted, but I'm gonna link to his post in the previous thread. He gives good information about a lot of stuff and altough not everybody always agrees, I've find his explainations very useful. Here is the link:
Simple question - chainsaw bar grease gun - post #30
If you read the whole thread, you'll find a lot of information. Like that a bar will probably wear out before the sprocket will. And if you grease, you should grease regularly, if you don't, you don't really have to start.

I don't grease my sprockets, can't do it on my 2 Stihls. Neither do it on my Echo because it doesn't become hot or so. If you grease, I think you should be carefull when grinding the bar edges because the small iron parts (also small debris when cutting) can get stuck in the grease and increase the friction between the sprocket and the bar (imo). I don't grease them and clean my bar with WD-40 after grinding the rails so it's completely clean.

Typhke

Last edited:
Chill out, they are just teasing you. There were idd some threads going on about this subject very recently. I've searched one, and it goes under the name "Simple question - chainsaw bar grease gun". The thread derailed a bit and there is more in it about the sprocket tips than the grease gun.

I've seen that Philbert liked a post here but hasn't reacted, but I'm gonna link to his post in the previous thread. He gives good information about a lot of stuff and altough not everybody always agrees, I've find his explainations very useful. Here is the link:
Simple question - chainsaw bar grease gun - post #30
If you read the whole thread, you'll find a lot of information. Like that a bar will probably wear out before the sprocket will. And if you grease, you should grease regularly, if you don't, you don't really have to start.

I don't grease my sprockets, can't do it on my 2 Stihls. Neither do it on my Echo because it doesn't become hot or so. If you grease, I think you should be carefull when grinding the bar edges because the small iron parts (also small debris when cutting) can get stuck in the grease and increase the friction between the sprocket and the bar (imo). I don't grease them and clean my bar with WD-40 after grinding the rails so it's completely clean.

Typhke

I'm chilled. Wasn't in the mood yesterday is all. I apologize for overreacting.

Latest posts

Back