Great day with Dad and a few family friends splitting

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rowan

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Man the weather has been great around here lately.... 22 - 27C (72 -81F for the US folk). Seasonal for us is about 10 -16 C.

Dad and a few family friends came by to give me a hand splitting some wood that was buried in snow 2 weeks ago.... Winter came fast and hard before I could get it done this fall.

We got about 2.5 - 3 cord split. Started at noon as I worked a night shift last night.
attachment.php

I've got 1 more at the back to buzz up and split at a later date when I get the Jred put together hehehe... (top left pic 2).

attachment.php

There was a bit of beer drinking too, but that's to be expected with Dad and his pals.....only bought 12 to keep some assemblence of safety:)

I welcomed the help and was happy to have it.
attachment.php

attachment.php

A great day!

Two more weeks to our family's annual wood cutting week at the camp with Dad and my Uncle..... no splitting, just felling, skidding and bucking, and some beverages at night of course.:cheers: Looking forward to it!!!!:chainsaw: :chainsaw:

Last edited:
That is awesome, spending time with family, have a beer and still get something done:jawdrop:

P.S. Nice wood pile.

Dad passed on when I was 5 and I didn't really have the chance to work with him, so it sure is nice to hear of folks making use of the opportunity to work with theirs. :cheers:

That's a nice pile of wood you guys have built up. Have fun on your wood cutting trip!

That's about two years burning for me.

5 piled, 3 split. The one at the back is "just incase" or "friend in need" wood. I've got another in the driveway in blocks and there's a crap load of tops just down the road. The loggers are just pulling out after a 100ac heavy cut.

Sorry about your dad cjcocn.

It is nice having family/friends to share in projects. I'm lucky to have found work in my field very close to where I grew up. The people in the photo have been around my house since I was in diapers.

Last couple of weeks I've been turning this:
attachment.php

Into this:
attachment.php

I wouldn't have done it in 8 days without some help. And what comes around goes around, when they need help I'll be there.

I love small town life.

Thanks Rowan! :cheers:

It's been so long now that I focus more on the positives such as having had no choice but to teach myself things that I wanted to know ("I learned how to learn"). I think that I am also more appreciative of the time that I get to spend with my girls and teaching them things that will help them out in life.

That bathroom looks a ton better even with the drywall only mudded. Is that a special moisture-resistant drywall? I have never had to redo drywall in a bathroom yet so am only used to seeing the white board. :D

Yeah, green board for moistrue resitance.

Its slightly off topic, but in keeping with the location of the post..... we put in floor electric heating in, and I have to say I would recommend it to anyone thats going to lay tile.

roughly 50 cents a day to keep my floor at 25C, great deal considering the wood stove is nowhere near the bathroom and cold floors make the wife reach for the oil furnace thermostat (sin in our house LOL). Bathroom grew 25 sqft. Wife is happy (so am I) but the saw budget is just about non-existent for the next while.

hardybacker

True a better option indeed, but going from 1978, normal drywall, no exhaust fan, etc to painted green board with a properly sized ehaust fan is a step in the right direction.

I guess green board is old school now, but I figure if the old normal drywall didn't mould in the 30 yrs that it was in there with no fan, the green board should hold up ok.

Last edited:
Great pictures, thanks for sharing. I agree that there is nothing that makes work seem like fun more than being able to do it with family and friends.

Rowan: Great remodel. will bring re-sale on home up as well as wifey happy. as far as sheetrock, up here inMinnesota we know a little about mold. Don't even use green rock anymore. Just 1/2 or 5/8 sheetrock will get the job done just fine with a good exhaust fan and timer. Or a good air to air exchanger the best. Great job!!!

My Dad has been gone for 25 years and when I hear people complaining about dad I say, "enjoy while you can dude". I wish mine was around so I could have a day in the woods with him. Thanks for the pics and enjoy your father while you can.

Great advice Butch!

You're right Butch. You never know what life will bring and its best to enjoy the people/things you have while you have them. I learned that lesson early in life, but I won't go into that storey here.

Perhaps my comment about the beer was missinterpreted. I wasn't meaning to complain..... I've been known to enjoy a BEvERage or two myself. It was just a comment regarding my efforts to try to keep us all reasonably safe while enjoying a great day.

There's nothing like a nice cold beer after a day of splitting wood.

What kind of beer is that? I couldn't recognize the label.

:givebeer:

Carling

Carling..... its a Canadian brand, decent beer at a reasonable price (Dad's brand of choice).

We had a great time, I'm looking forward to our week long trip to the camp May 3rd. We do it every year, its where Dad gets all his firewood. I normally take a cord or so, but its about 100km (62mi) from my house so I only grab some if I'm up there anyway.... no special trips as it doesn't make economic sense with the price of fuel these days.

I scouted out the nearby logging site on my way home last night and I'm going to call the land owner to see if he minds me cleaning up his bush..... There's a bunch of White and Red Oak tops that are close enough to the road for me to get without too much effort, the other area is rough terrain and was mainly soft wood so it would be too much effort for the little wood I'd get out of it. Except for the landing area, I talked to the logger and he left the oak/maple tops close by for me.

Carling..... its a Canadian brand, decent beer at a reasonable price (Dad's brand of choice).

I've had the Canadian Carling, and it's a pretty decent beer, but Carling many years ago used to brew a beer in Framingham, Mass. called Carling's Black Label-it was undrinkable swill, even worse than Bud. Mercifully Carling closed the brewery and sold the land for an office park.

You're right Butch. You never know what life will bring and its best to enjoy the people/things you have while you have them. I learned that lesson early in life, but I won't go into that storey here.

Perhaps my comment about the beer was missinterpreted. I wasn't meaning to complain..... I've been known to enjoy a BEvERage or two myself. It was just a comment regarding my efforts to try to keep us all reasonably safe while enjoying a great day.

Hey, my comment wasnt at all directed at you:) I am envious of your situation though.

I have been fortunate to have had days like you described but envious because I have not been fortunate enough to have it recorded on film to enjoy at later dates. Looks like a great day and great company. Enjoyed looking at the pictures. Wonder how that lone tree feels in the midst of all that firewood?

I've had the Canadian Carling, and it's a pretty decent beer, but Carling many years ago used to brew a beer in Framingham, Mass. called Carling's Black Label-it was undrinkable swill, even worse than Bud. Mercifully Carling closed the brewery and sold the land for an office park.

Well it's no wonder if they were brewing beer using water from Framingham.

Latest posts

Back