Great deal on a Craftsman Riding Mower

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The craftsman when I first got it had been sitting out side in the weather with no protection for about 3 years. I found some bad switches and the steel cable for the mower deck was frozen in place. There was also one tire with a bad split on one side from sitting while it was flat. Like you said it takes a little mechanical ability.

Out here there are a lot of things that can make a tire go flat so I started filling them with that fix a flat in a can. That solved that problem. I also bought one of those tire machines from harbor freight so that I could put inner tubes in some of the tires. Much cheaper than replacing the whole tire.

The craftsman when I first got it had been sitting out side in the weather with no protection for about 3 years. I found some bad switches and the steel cable for the mower deck was frozen in place. There was also one tire with a bad split on one side from sitting while it was flat. Like you said it takes a little mechanical ability.

Out here there are a lot of things that can make a tire go flat so I started filling them with that fix a flat in a can. That solved that problem. I also bought one of those tire machines from harbor freight so that I could put inner tubes in some of the tires. Much cheaper than replacing the whole tire.

I'm only 60yo and still use the tire irons I have had since I was a teenager, changing the tires on my motorcycles. I used the tire irons on replacing the 4 on the '98 Craftsman and just about ruined myself. My Mojo was near empty by the time I finished.

I'm only 60yo and still use the tire irons I have had since I was a teenager, changing the tires on my motorcycles. I used the tire irons on replacing the 4 on the '98 Craftsman and just about ruined myself. My Mojo was near empty by the time I finished.
I hear ya. I am 71

You must be talking about the good old days. When a Wheel Horse was made by Wheel Horse.
After Toro bought Wheel Horse they kept the original style garden tractor in the line until 2007, calling it the "Classic". My oldest is a 1975 C-100, the newest is a 1997 314-8.
The Troy Bilt Horse tiller is another long lasting machine. I have a 7 HP Horse I bought new in 1976. I still depend on it in the garden.

You say: I used the tire irons on replacing the 4 on the '98 Craftsman and just about ruined myself. My Mojo was near empty by the time I finished.

Some of them small tires are really a bugger to break the bead loose especially the deep dish 6 and 8 inch types used on the front..
I got out my cutting torch and welder and made several different sizes of rings that fit over the rims, some are made by cutting out the center of a steel rim that just fits over the existing rim. (I can then jack down on the oversize rim to break the bead and even then I sometimes have to just get them under a strain and let them set for couple minutes.

I have a tire changer that will do the 12 inch and larger if the center hole is 1 1/4 inch or larger.

Usually really a mess when I break one down and it's had fix a flat inside for long time and rim is rusted. Slimed rims can be soaked in water to soften/ loosen the crud and do not rust as much as fix a flat.

Paying someone to add a tube to a old lawn tractor tire can get costly and price of tubes and tires going out of sight. Also lots of inner tubes now days that are no good when new.

After Toro bought Wheel Horse they kept the original style garden tractor in the line until 2007, calling it the "Classic". My oldest is a 1975 C-100, the newest is a 1997 314-8.
The Troy Bilt Horse tiller is another long lasting machine. I have a 7 HP Horse I bought new in 1976. I still depend on it in the garden.
They used to be a quality garden tractor. Even during the early years of Toro ownership they were still good but when they bought into the Alphabet soup lineup quality really tanked.
I've still got the 210-5 my dad handed down to me when I bought my first house over 20 years ago. It was well aged by then. He bought it new. somewhere there is a picture floating around of me as a wee lad standing on the tunnel in between his legs steering the tractor while he supervised.

I've never seen a Poulan branded riding mower.
After seeing the picture I suspect that Poulan may have made some Craftsman branded lawn tractors like the Poulan/Craftsman chainsaws, maybe.

If drive very far away I think I would ask for a model number first and see if a owners manual could be found on-line. If no model number available or no owners manual available on-line, finding parts pieces without a model number is more time consuming.

Also if the paper tag is still attached under the seat or on the metal shroud under the seat it's a good idea to write down the model and ser BEFORE hauling the machine. I've seen them paper tags comes off when being hauled. Also if someone ever replaced the seat on some the model number went south with the old seat.

Looks like it may have been stored out of the weather.

Asking price little steep. (could only view the one main picture)

Poulan is part of the MTD Alphabet soup lineup. I can't imagine parts would be tough to come buy, you could even have a wide variety of colors of the same part to choose from 😁

Poulan is part of the MTD Alphabet soup lineup. I can't imagine parts would be tough to come buy, you could even have a wide variety of colors of the same part to choose from 😁

A lot of these mowers have common parts. I don't see that as a problem. It is all about making a few coins for my troubles. This is a good distance away, so the time and gas is a consideration. Guy has bought its replacement already, so he is looking to reclaim space and remove the eyesore. OBO says he wants to get rid of it, ASAP.

I have already sent him an email asking the preliminary questions.

Sold the Craftsman last night. Guy even showed up early. Mower cold started perfectly and the guy was very pleased with it loaded it straight into this trailer and drove off.

Now lining up the next. This should be very familiar since I owned an JD LA130 of the same year.

1651587948653.png

I've got a machine in my tractor salvage the looks like that JD.
No deck or engine but some other parts. Came to me w/o deck or engine.

It still has a nice hood, transaxle, pulleys and steering, maybe gas tank. I'm using the rear and front wheels/tires.
the cushion seat is torn.

I ordered and installed a new starter switch on the '98 mower. It was dying while running and while rolling down the road, and since I had diagnosed the starter of having other symptoms a new one was justified. Turns out the new switch revealed other gremlins. For general info I took the other one apart and could see nothing wrong. My next step was to disconnect all the electrical connections and spray them clean with CRC 05103 QD Electronic Cleaner. Wow! Everything works better, Starting, holding a constant speed, etc. it is just a much improved mower.

I love finding and fixing such things.

The JD L120 owner got back to me, and will send me some pictures. If that looks good, I'm going to buy the JD and begin getting it running, properly, for another resale. :yes:

electrical connections.
I use

Permatex 22058 Dielectric Tune-Up Grease, 3 oz. Tube​

on the terminals of electrical connections with good results.
Really good for lawn tractor ignition switch plugs and interlock switch connections.
I just apply little bit to the female side of the connector and then re-assemble.

Really good to prevent any future rusting of the male/female connections.

electrical connections.
I use

Permatex 22058 Dielectric Tune-Up Grease, 3 oz. Tube​

on the terminals of electrical connections with good results.
Really good for lawn tractor ignition switch plugs and interlock switch connections.
I just apply little bit to the female side of the connector and then re-assemble.

Really good to prevent any future rusting of the male/female connections.

Yes, is a good extra treatment for clean connectors. I have a tube and once this proves to be the "fix" I'll take apart the connectors and apply some dielectric grease. Helps keep moisture out as well as dirt and grime.

Back