Green Ash ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe we need to clarify. Is the original poster asking about green ash as in the species or as in unseasoned? Two completely different questions. I assumed he was referring to the species. There are a half dozen species of ash in my neck of the woods.

I agree. This is where I got confused. :dizzy:

Anybody ever burn green ash .I just got a load of it and i,m about to split it.someone told me its like burning sycamore, of which I'm not a big fan because it burns fast and has no embers or heat value. let me know if I should bother wasting my time spittin and burnin it. Thanks
Eric

Why would you burn green wood this time of year? let it dry.Ash is great firewood

green ash

I am the original poster the Green Ash im talking about is A TREE i JUST GOT THAT i NEED TO buck and split. for the winter of course im going to let it sit on the pile for a while. But when I burnt the sycamore last year . It did burn good and I used it as a starter wood but I did not feel it had a great heat value. and It had no coals .it just burnt away to nothing. So Seeing in the chart that the BTUS OF GREEN ASH were close to Sycamore . I was just wondering .I fully intend to split it and use it. the reason I think it is Green ash instead of white because the smaller branches were green.Thanks

I don't mind burning sycamore. If I have some I burn it in the daytime and use hardwood for nights. If I didn't have a splitter I wouldn't even think about it unless it was already stove size. Beggers can't be choosers so I take it unless I have an awful lot of wood already. If I were paying for wood though it definately would not be sycamore.

Danny

Maybe we need to clarify. Is the original poster asking about green ash as in the species or as in unseasoned? Two completely different questions. I assumed he was referring to the species. There are a half dozen species of ash in my neck of the woods.

Sorry! I thought he meant a growing tree.

Whoa there:confused: : there are at least three ( count 'em) , 3, Ash species around here. One, White Ash is among the better woods for firewood. Then there's Green Ash and Black/Brown Ash that are lower in BTU/lb for firewood value. They are very tough to identify exaxctly on the stump in winter; easier in summer when leafed. Brown and Green ash like wet feet---grow in swampy or wet areas. The bark for all of them look similar. They all split easily and will burn without seasoning....called "green burning". Native Americans in the northeast used and use the Brown Ash for baskets.
You burn with what you got. :givebeer: The further north you get, the fewer hardwood species grow well. I have Oak envy.:cry:

Around here, green ash grows on the stream banks. It very often curls or spirals as it grows. It isn't the toughest to split, but it isn't as straight grained as white ash and definitely doesn't have the heat. I cut black ash too, and again not the btu's of the white, but a straight easy to split tree. The bottom line is if it was in my woodpile, I would use the black or green in the fall/spring and white in the dead of winter. The green ash is certainly better than a lot of things you could be burning.

Latest posts

Back