Green Horn

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

too_quick_s197

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Well about a year ago I had the local electric company cut a pecan tree down in my yard and the deal was, no charge if I clean up. This tree was 29" in dia. at its base. I looked at my 18 inch poulan and realized I bit off more than I could chew. Thats when it started. I borrowed a Husky rancher 55, and liked it. I finished the clean up and I went on the hunt. I first picked up a Husky 570 20" bar in better than average shape, $350 bucks. After watching a few how to vids on the net I fell a few trees for some friends and I was hooked. Today I picked up a used 026 18" bar and case for $150. Both of my new saws are in great shape and run like champs. Im pretty handy with all types of mechanical stuff (im a mechanic in a GM dealership) and I was just wanted to get some advise from the pros. How did I do, are these pretty good saws? Thanks in advance.

:popcorn:

Well about a year ago I had the local electric company cut a pecan tree down in my yard and the deal was, no charge if I clean up. This tree was 29" in dia. at its base. I looked at my 18 inch poulan and realized I bit off more than I could chew. Thats when it started. I borrowed a Husky rancher 55, and liked it. I finished the clean up and I went on the hunt. I first picked up a Husky 570 20" bar in better than average shape, $350 bucks. After watching a few how to vids on the net I fell a few trees for some friends and I was hooked. Today I picked up a used 026 18" bar and case for $150. Both of my new saws are in great shape and run like champs. Im pretty handy with all types of mechanical stuff (im a mechanic in a GM dealership) and I was just wanted to get some advise from the pros. How did I do, are these pretty good saws? Thanks in advance.

You got a good deal on the 026. That is a really nice saw. It is considered a Pro saw. The Husky's someone else will have to chime in. I got my first husky about 4 weeks ago so I am still learning. I do know the rancher is a step above a homeowner saw, but way below their pro saws.

Sounds like you're doing fine.Quit and leave now and you'll live happily ever after. Here's a rep for a local boy.

Dude, run away run far away this is how it starts.:greenchainsaw:

Sounds like you're doing fine.Quit and leave now and you'll live happily ever after. Here's a rep for a local boy.

Take this advice or you are subject to develop an expensive habit:greenchainsaw:.

Welcome to the site. You did real good the026 is a great small saw. It takes mods real good to. It's got a lot of power to get yet. You will be surprised.

Im not sensing any love for the Husky 570. Just by what I have been told from local dealer its not a popular saw. Whats there deal?

:confused:

My neighbour has a 570 and he can't kill it no matter how hard he tries. He's ran over it and gone thru 4 bars and chains to cut a lowsey 7 cords cause he doesn't know the difference between pine and granite. So you got a good saw there. The 026 is a real champ as well. I think the older 026's were the best. Now you just need to keep your eye out for an 028 and so on, and so on.
Gypo

My neighbour has a 570 and he can't kill it no matter how hard he tries. He's ran over it and gone thru 4 bars and chains to cut a lowsey 7 cords cause he doesn't know the difference between pine and granite. So you got a good saw there. The 026 is a real champ as well. I think the older 026's were the best. Now you just need to keep your eye out for an 028 and so on, and so on.
Gypo

There we go, I dont know what year the 026 is, I will get it out to play first thing in the am. I will look it over to see if I can see anything. Its in good shape but it is no spring chicken.

There's no fun in that, I need to over pay for something I will never need before I quit. Nice to see some TN folk, where ya from.

Well,I have been known to fish at Carroll Lake once in a while, even though it's about 40 minutes away from Golden Tornado territory.Used to go to Bethel B-ball games in years past.(You'll figure it out,I'm keeping it a secret.)

Well,I have been known to fish at Carroll Lake once in a while, even though it's about 40 minutes away from Golden Tornado territory.Used to go to Bethel B-ball games in years past.(You'll figure it out,I'm keeping it a secret.)

LOL, wife went to bethel, I smell where your steppin.

The biggest complaint I have read about on the 570 is the power/wt. Other than that, most seem to think it is a good saw. I have been to the husky dealer between Huntingdon and Mckenzie several times and I have also been to the Stihl dealership in Mckenzie. I live in Chester County and work in Jackson making Pringles at P&G. Many of my co-workers are from Carroll County. Welcome to the site.

Too_quick, I believe you have found a new hobby. These are fun internal combustion toys, and compared to auto parts and repairs, saws are cheap to work on. Soon you'll be fishing around CL for used saws to snatch up, maybe give them a little TLC, messing with them just for fun. It's a disease that's easy to catch, but once you start you won't want to quit. Congrats on your new saws, and there's probably some bigger ones lurking in your future so make room now in you shop/garage!

As long as they don't kill or maim you a saw makes a great pet. So when are you buying a wood splitter, an electric chain grinder, and a larger truck to tow the new wood trailer? Welcome to an addiction, be sure to get some good safety wear to go with those new saw you are going to buy.

The biggest complaint I have read about on the 570 is the power/wt. Other than that, most seem to think it is a good saw. I have been to the husky dealer between Huntingdon and Mckenzie several times and I have also been to the Stihl dealership in Mckenzie. I live in Chester County and work in Jackson making Pringles at P&G. Many of my co-workers are from Carroll County. Welcome to the site.

I also work in jackson, the Husky dealer I deal with is Hills Repair in Brownsville. Everytime I walk in the door he has what I need. I also have a Redmax trimmer so he helps me there. I will agree the 570 is a bit on the heavy side. For the money I had to spend at the time it was the best buy I could find. I love the saw and will never get rid of it (cant replace it for what I have in it) but im sure I will pick up a 372xp or maybe a 390xp in the future.

Last edited:
Too_quick, I believe you have found a new hobby. These are fun internal combustion toys, and compared to auto parts and repairs, saws are cheap to work on. Soon you'll be fishing around CL for used saws to snatch up, maybe give them a little TLC, messing with them just for fun. It's a disease that's easy to catch, but once you start you won't want to quit. Congrats on your new saws, and there's probably some bigger ones lurking in your future so make room now in you shop/garage!

You hit the nail on the head. I found the 026 on CL and just couldn't turn it down. He was asking 200 and he took 150. I will try to get some pics today of all my saws and post up. When I get the 026 like I want it I will be in the market for a bad boy soon.

As long as they don't kill or maim you a saw makes a great pet. So when are you buying a wood splitter, an electric chain grinder, and a larger truck to tow the new wood trailer? Welcome to an addiction, be sure to get some good safety wear to go with those new saw you are going to buy.

LOL, im the king of over kill so im sure all of those things are coming soon.

I bought my346ne from Hill's a few months ago. I have also purchased an echo trimmer there. I bought my first jonsered from them about 11 years ago. They are good to deal with.

The OP cannot leave the site yet, he first needs to reach the point he gets himself a saw needing "some work," then scrounges and buys a buncha parts and ends up having about as much or more in it as he would for a good-running or even brand-new saw and finds that he isn't ticked off about it. Plus, after all that, he's probably keeping an eye out for another saw to further round out his collection.

Latest posts

Back