Griffiths & Beerens Guide Bars?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UrbanLogger

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Has anyone used G&B bars, how do they stack up to others on the market? I've been looking for a nice quality bar to allow me to use 3/8 chain instead of .325 on my Deere CS62, they are one of the only manufactures I've found that makes a sprocket nose 3/8 bar for Oleo-mac saws (the parent company or maker of the John Deere saws) I had to find the Oleo-mac model number that crosses to the american model or John Deere CS62

I really, really don't like the GB bars as far as bending is concerned. By this I am reffering to the fact that bars are going to get twisted on or bent on at one point or another whether it be felling a tree or just trying to get a stuck bar out and when the GB I have gets bent or twisted the slightest bit, I have to manually jam the bar somehow and bend it back. No spring to it what so ever... The bar I have is a PRO "something or other" 30 inch sprocket nose.

Now as far as quality in other perspectives, the GB hasn't needed surfacing or the groove reground or a new sprocket or anything like this. I just don't like their "flex factor". If all your doing is cutting firewood or minor tree cutting, then it should be fine.

Just my $.02...

i deal all GB products, bars, chain, mills, etc..

i love the GB CN-40 Titanium bars, they hold up like a Cannon bar. tough as ever.

the GB Pro-top is a decent bar, about the same as an Oregon PowerMatch Plus, good but by no means impressive.

the chain GB sells is Carlton chain without the name stamp on the tie straps.

the GB Mills are great for the price, decently well built.

i keep a realistic view on what i sell, i test most products before i will sell them. not only durability but feel. their pistons hold up GREAT, but many small parts like the file handles, files, etc i will not carry or use. i try to avoid selling ANY laminated bars.

Tip life on the Ti bars isnt that great, but not terrible. The rails are rock hard, but tend to chip if your chain tension is off. They are much harder than a Oregon, but not as hard as a Cannon from what I have seen.

I'm having trouble locating or rather finding any info GB Titanium Bars, even on their websire, any one know where I might be able to find a little info, and maybe a place to buy?

I found that Carlton makes a bar that will fit my Deere CS62 running a 3/8 chain but it has a .058 guage, but the sprocket i found only states that it is a 3/8 sproket. It is a Oregon Powermate system with a replacable rim sprocket. Will this drive a .058 guage chain?

OK, I hate to steal or change a subject a little here, but perhaps it will clear some things up...

I've heard that GB's US factory burned down. Now please correct me if I'm wrong here...

It's just that I have emailed them twice in the last 2 weeks "before this post ever came out" and have yet to hear anything back... I've been trying to find out info on a 48 or 50 inch bar for a Homelite C-Series saw since I know they are one of the only company's making bars for these old saws and any other info on parts they have for these saws... Cannon will make one for double the price, but I don't feel like paying $400 - $600 just for a saw bar of this size and simplicity :dizzy: I really like the cannon bars, but like I said...

SO can anyone verify this and am I just wasting my time waiting on their reply :confused:

Thanks,
Greg

UrbanLogger said:
I found that Carlton makes a bar that will fit my Deere CS62 running a 3/8 chain but it has a .058 guage, but the sprocket i found only states that it is a 3/8 sproket. It is a Oregon Powermate system with a replacable rim sprocket. Will this drive a .058 guage chain?

Most 50 tips are good for either 50 or 58 gauge.

GPH85 said:
It's just that I have emailed them twice in the last 2 weeks "before this post ever came out" and have yet to hear anything back... I've been trying to find out info on a 48 or 50 inch bar for a Homelite C-Series saw since I know they are one of the only company's making bars for these old saws and any other info on parts they have for these saws...

SO can anyone verify this and am I just wasting my time waiting on their reply :confused:

Try calling them. I do know that they're good about answering the phone and responding to postal mail; I've used both with good results.

I don't have their number right with me, but if you can't hunt it down let me know.

UrbanLogger said:

With rare exception a 3/8 sprocket will happily drive .050, .058, and .063. Since one does 'em all and chain gauge is irrelevant to drive sprockets, that's why the only info listed was 3/8.

Computeruser,
Thank you for clearing that up for me, thats what I thought, but I wanted to be sure.

Thanks again

Back