Grillion (Petzl)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

legendrider

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
What is the best and safest method of attaching the camming part to the saddle when using this lanyard? Thanks.

grillion testimonial

i've been using the grillion for five years, having changed out the lanyard three times. it seems that the friction sock isn't practical when using on smaller branches (4" and less). not a real problem. haven't tried anything since using this set-up.

I use an oval quick link (looks like a threaded chain link) secured with locktite and a locking aluminum snap on the rope end.

I'm using a 3m (15') lanyard and daisy chain it to keep it short.

Has anyone replaced their lanyard without using the recommended grillion line?
(at $60 that line gets expensive)

Xtra said:
I use an oval quick link (looks like a threaded chain link) secured with locktite and a locking aluminum snap on the rope end.

I'm using a 3m (15') lanyard and daisy chain it to keep it short.

Has anyone replaced their lanyard without using the recommended grillion line?
(at $60 that line gets expensive)

just for the record, 3m is actually more like 10'

I began climbing with the grillon a few years back. I ended up changing out the material to some 11mm km111. worked just fine for me.

IMO petzl is ripping people on the replacement lanyard cost. I'm mean how much material cost do they really have rapped up? Like 3 dollars; and then they'll charge you 50 bucks.

I would think 11 mm static line, the stiffer the better, like the static line cavers use, kermantle. That stuff is fairly cheap, compared to our arborist lines. Petzl uses a semi-static line in the Grillon, but an even stiffer line will 'flip' better.

The crux would be the terminations. The Grillon has a stitched termination at each end, and the cool plastic sleeve. It is not recommended that kernmantle be spliced by conventional splicing methods. It should be sewn, or mechanically swaged.

7/16" stable braid with a conventional eye spliced at each end would be an option, very highly abrasion resistant, high-tensile, static, but not all that stiff. Make sure you splice a locking snap into one (or both) ends of it.

I'm sorry, I didn't answer the original question. I would attach the Grigri to the left side saddle ring using an aluminum triple lock caribiner. The right side I would permanently affix to the right side saddle ring using a locking oval screw link, or better yet a delta link.

There are more than a few ways to skin this cat.

Latest posts

Back