Grinding Stihl Chains - Hitting Tie Straps

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm new to chain grinding. I have an Oregon 410-120 grinder. I know the angles are inverted for the top plate angle. What I'm not sure about is the 15+ and 15- tilt angle.

I've been using the 10 degree tilt for all Stihl chains not just full chisel but other information has suggested that angle doesn't translate from the USG chart angles to the Oregon grinder.

Should I not use the 10 degree tilt on the Stihl chains period or what?

Also seeing a lot of people saying they grind with 60 top plate 30 filing angle (vise side to side angle) and a 0 - 10 degree tilt.

I've been using as close to the manufacturer recommended angles of 40/10/30 for the majority of the chains as that's what it calls for (except the tilt is 5 degrees off).

I keep hitting tie straps and I'm guessing it's because the tilt isn't right? It's driving me insane. Help!! 😭

stihl chains don't use a 10 degree tilt, generally I lean the head over to about 60 degrees, and a 25 degree grind angle (instead of stihl factory 30 degree)

adjust the depth stop knob till the wheel stops just above the tie plate, if it tickles a tiny amount off the tie plate it's not the end of the world, just don't gouge it

make sure the wheel is centered front to back on the guide rails/clamp, mine moves a little as I rotate the head so depending on what im doing I will adjust the "down angle" by sliding the clamp forward 5 degrees for one side, back 5 for the other, makes it grind flat

stihl chains don't use a 10 degree tilt, generally I lean the head over to about 60 degrees, and a 25 degree grind angle (instead of stihl factory 30 degree)

adjust the depth stop knob till the wheel stops just above the tie plate, if it tickles a tiny amount off the tie plate it's not the end of the world, just don't gouge it

make sure the wheel is centered front to back on the guide rails/clamp, mine moves a little as I rotate the head so depending on what im doing I will adjust the "down angle" by sliding the clamp forward 5 degrees for one side, back 5 for the other, makes it grind flat
I guess I'm confused... I thought per this chart it was calling for a 15 degree tilt. My Oregon 410-120 grinder can do 10.... Hopefully these chains are ok because I am going to sell them...

I have used a 25" chain on the Stihl 261 I sharpened this way and it absolutely ate. It would be way more convenient to not have to mess with the tilt anyways.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240530_173027_Samsung Notes.jpg
    Screenshot_20240530_173027_Samsung Notes.jpg
    568.7 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back