Grinding wheel Blows up

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saw_crazy

Reaction score
I have a grinding wheel that blew up in my face I have tryed contacting the manufacture and they offered me five replacement wheels for this problem as for asking me if i was fine they said we will give u five grinding wheels Caution dont buy Timber tuff Grinding wheels I used the wheel to sharpen one chain and then when i went to do the other one it flew apart and split open my lip and my arm The Pics of the wheel and my lip 5 days later it was healing good it split it open from the middle of my chin all the way to the inside of my lip made a nice gash View attachment 177970View attachment 177971View attachment 177972

Ouch!

I had one explode on me last year too. TG I was wearing safety glasses. Although I was using a cheap grinding wheel, I figured out that it was my own fault. I didn't lock the chain down real well in the rail clamp before I started grinding the other side. No injuries but it scared the #### out of me.

Well i didn't even make it to pull the grinder down I turned it on and started locking down the chain and boom it blew up and i did'nt have time to even grab the handle to pull it down to the chain

Well i didn't even make it to pull the grinder down I turned it on and started locking down the chain and boom it blew up and i did'nt have time to even grab the handle to pull it down to the chain

That sounds like a damaged wheel from jump street. Always tap them with an allen key or something and ring them before you use them. If it is cracked and damaged then it will not ring.

That sucks! I use ABN wheels from Baileys and will never go back to anything else.

That wheel is 200 bucks! Is it that good? Said it keeps the chain from getting hot, does it really. Interested in this.
I have a Timber Tuff grinder, so far it is working really good, but I dont like the wheel, now, after reading this thread, I want to replace it before it blows up on me!

That sounds like a damaged wheel from jump street. Always tap them with an allen key or something and ring them before you use them. If it is cracked and damaged then it will not ring.

Hey saw_crazy,
Tree md is right about the ring test. also if you think about the angle the wheel is at (30-35 degrees) if the chain lifts and then gets drawn back in the direction of rotation the lead edge of the cutter will side load the grinding wheel and may cause it to fail as it did in your case. Glad to hear you were not seriously hurt. I know it sounds crazy but a face shield would have prevented your injury. Not like we don't use PPE already.

5 wheels? Try five grand

I have a grinding wheel that blew up in my face I have tryed contacting the manufacture and they offered me five replacement wheels for this problem as for asking me if i was fine they said we will give u five grinding wheels Caution dont buy Timber tuff Grinding wheels I used the wheel to sharpen one chain and then when i went to do the other one it flew apart and split open my lip and my arm The Pics of the wheel and my lip 5 days later it was healing good it split it open from the middle of my chin all the way to the inside of my lip made a nice gash View attachment 177970View attachment 177971View attachment 177972

I'd be letting one of them TV accident injury lawyers negotiate proper compensation for that defective stuff. Coulda been your eyeballs, safety glasses or not.

That wheel is 200 bucks! Is it that good? Said it keeps the chain from getting hot, does it really. Interested in this.
I have a Timber Tuff grinder, so far it is working really good, but I dont like the wheel, now, after reading this thread, I want to replace it before it blows up on me!

I think they are worth every penny! They do not burn your chain they hold their profile and do not produce silica dust which leads to silicosis. They do not clog up with bar oil or resin and they last for ever. I have two sizes one for .404/3/8" and the small one for 3/8lopro/.325". The larger one I have had for I think eight years now and has about 50 or 60 chains on it ranging in sizes from 18" up to 42" but mostly 18, 24, and 28". I have even made money with it grinding chains for friends and coworkers. Oh, and they don't blow up!:cheers:

I had one blow up, thank God the wheel shield was on (still scared the be-jesus out of me). I had just turned it on and had barely touched the tooth to sharpen it, when it came apart and I mean like it exploded. Timber Tuff ought to fix this product, this wheel and the material it is made of could be a major liability for them.

Oh, one more thing, afraid to "ring" test the new wheel, it might fall apart!!!

Last edited:
I had my small wheel for my picco chain blow up on me not long often this thread was posted. Was tired after a long day of working and not sure if I rang the wheel or not. This is the second time this has happened to me... I'll be buying some ABN wheels as soon as I get a little bit ahead with some other priority purchases this Summer. As many chains as I sharpen, it's a no brainier for me. The silicosis deal is enough to make me want to change.

I had one explode once while I was surface grinding a clamp that I had made. It happened so fast that I didn't know it was my wheel that exploded, I actually thought something had fell over behind me.

This was a wheel for surface finishing steel parts(really high RPMs), it had a magnetic base that you lay the part on to hold it down, and you crank a handle back and forth to grind the part. The feed mechanism overloaded(moved the wheel too close to the part), and the wheel yanked the part through and exploded.

There was a guy grinding another part about 10' away from me, the cinder-block wall behind him looked like a grenade had went off, but the guy never got hit. Just lucky.

Clueless,
That sounds just like something you would do. On a surface grinder the standard is to make the first approach from the downstream side of the wheel and have the heigth set for 0 cut ( check for clearance with wheel not turning ) and then slowly increase cut depth till full spark. No hogging allowed as it gives poor finish and ruins heat treated surfaces.
I'll bet the person showing you how to run the machine told you all this, but you thought you already knew it all and didn't have to listen. That guy should have ripped you a new one doing something so stupid! I sure would have.
Rick

Clueless,
That sounds just like something you would do. On a surface grinder the standard is to make the first approach from the downstream side of the wheel and have the heigth set for 0 cut ( check for clearance with wheel not turning ) and then slowly increase cut depth till full spark. No hogging allowed as it gives poor finish and ruins heat treated surfaces.
I'll bet the person showing you how to run the machine told you all this, but you thought you already knew it all and didn't have to listen. That guy should have ripped you a new one doing something so stupid! I sure would have.
Rick

Lol, 40,000 comedians out of work and you're trying to break into comedy with that routine.

Anyway,

No, I set it up exactly the way you're supposed to, checked the clearance, even put a straight edge on the part to be sure it was the same thickness all the way across.

They ended up rebuilding the machine, after that it was smooth as silk, no more boom boom.

There's nothing funny about almost killing somebody because you were stupid. A straight edge will NOT tell you if it is the same thickness across if there is linear taper. Using the wrong tool for the job.....Clueless again!
Not only did you almost kill somebody, but you Carbied ( Screwed UP ) the machine. How much did that cost them ? I know you weren't man enough to pay for your mistake out of your pocket.

Rick

Clueless,
Rick

VA, you're ridiculous, I can't believe you didn't know, its ALWAYS someone else's fault, or faulty equipment at the least. Lol

Rep coming your way VA.

Jeff

There's nothing funny about almost killing somebody because you were stupid. A straight edge will NOT tell you if it is the same thickness across if there is linear taper. Using the wrong tool for the job.....Clueless again!
Not only did you almost kill somebody, but you Carbied ( Screwed UP ) the machine. How much did that cost them ? I know you weren't man enough to pay for your mistake out of your pocket.

Rick

Read it again Asperger, I measured the thickness, and no one ever said it was funny.

Latest posts

Back