Grinding wheels; diamond vs. regular

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kgb007stb

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Have been reading previous posts about grinding wheels, looks like some people mentioned that the diamond wheel creates more burr and the diamonds get separated from the wheel way to early. Are there any premium diamond or regular grinding wheels that have worked for you better than the stock setup?

I have the Maxx grinder with the stock wheels, so far so good.:)

I use the BORZON wheels from foley belsaw they work great, I have sharpened aproximately 50 chains so far still looks great. From what I have gathered diamond wheels are for sharpening carbide chains and the borzon are for regular steel chains. This wheel runs very cool very hard to blue a cutter with these I think they are great and they are the cheepist ones that I have found but you have to go to their website and find the price it is cheeper there then call and tell them their website price.

i "took" the diamond from my dealer.

a GOOD diamond wheel is for sure better then the stock one, but you can make nice chains with a stone wheel also.

diamond is not just for carbide.

I've found the best improvement on my chains is to clean them before grinding. I'm still using ceramic wheels; they work fine and last a long, long time.

I've started cleaning my chains by putting them in a bucket, covering them with water, then adding a tablespoon of 100% lye drain cleaner (always add water first, lye 2nd). Let them sit for 10 minutes or so, dump them on the drive and rinse thoroughly with hose, wire brush & rinse again, dry, grind them, oil, and coil into a small paper bag. Don't let too much time between cleaning and oiling as the chains can rust a little. Spray on oven cleaner (lye is active ingredient) works very well also, maybe even better, but it's a little more expensive.

My wheel stays much cleaner, the chain grinds faster and better, and the chains look new when I'm finished.

Last edited:
dr,

How about giving a few a sappy southern yellow pines a whirl and take a look at your chain when you get finished. It'll cake your wheel up in a heartbeat and you'll be bluing teeth the rest of the day.

Rub some wax on the ceramic wheel from time to time as it goes around, the wheel cuts somewhat cooler. A candle works ok.

Yeah, I hate when my cutters turn blue, especially when I have to make a more aggressive cut due to a damager or dulled chain. Where would be a good place to look for some Borazon wheels?:(

I prefer to touch the wheel to the cutter in small increments, rather than one big bite, when aggressive grinding. I think it would be better if the grinders turned at a slower rpm, they wouldn't cut as fast, but it would be cooler. Some regular grinder manufacturers provide that option, usually 3600 or 1800 rpm.

Never heard of the wax trick before; very interesting. I have considered trying to rig some cooling lubricant like on a machine center, but never got around to figuring it out. Probably not worth the effort.

Never heard of the wax trick before; very interesting. I have considered trying to rig some cooling lubricant like on a machine center, but never got around to figuring it out. Probably not worth the effort.

Presumably the wax helps to keep the wheel from loading up with what your are grinding, I think that is the principle. You have to apply it frequently. I find a softer wax is better than a hard candle.

I've found the best improvement on my chains is to clean them before grinding. I'm still using ceramic wheels; they work fine and last a long, long time.

I've started cleaning my chains by putting them in a bucket, covering them with water, then adding a tablespoon of 100% lye drain cleaner (always add water first, lye 2nd). Let them sit for 10 minutes or so, dump them on the drive and rinse thoroughly with hose, wire brush & rinse again, dry, grind them, oil, and coil into a small paper bag. Don't let too much time between cleaning and oiling as the chains can rust a little. Spray on oven cleaner (lye is active ingredient) works very well also, maybe even better, but it's a little more expensive.

My wheel stays much cleaner, the chain grinds faster and better, and the chains look new when I'm finished.
Since I have read your tip, I too have started cleaning my chains. I dunk my chains in a plastic tub of Oven Cleaner. I put a lid on, and swirl the chains around for a couple of minutes, and let it set for a couple of minutes. I then do it again a couple more times. I rinse off the oven cleaner in the laundry tub, and hang them up on the chain rack over night to dry.
The next day, or two, I sharpen them, and dunk them in another plastic tub with Bar Oil, and let them soak over night, and the next day I hang them back on the chain rack to let the excess oil drip off, into a catch basin on the floor.
I couldn't believe how clean they came out. I still need to dress my grinding wheel, (the pink stone is what I use) but after I clean my chains, I won't need to dress it as much, I don't think.
Thanks again for your tip. It think it saves the grinding wheel too.
Bruce.

Latest posts

Back