Groundsman wages

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
460magnumMOD

460magnumMOD

ArboristSite Lurker
you pay them to take water breaks 10 minutes in each hour? you need to act like a boss and do what i do... tell them to drink their water bottle while dragging brush to the truck.

This is hard work. If you don't stay hydrated and eat good you won't be able to stand on your feet let alone drag brush. Any good boss knows this and would rather everyone be effective and walk away from the job at the end of the day with no injuries, no accidents, and his workers wanting to continue working for him. I bet that taking those short breaks pays off in the end, keeping the guys energized and ready to go. If you don't take those breaks and just wear down, you get slower and end up taking longer anyways.

Treeinnovator

Treeinnovator

ArboristSite Operative
This is hard work. If you don't stay hydrated and eat good you won't be able to stand on your feet let alone drag brush. Any good boss knows this and would rather everyone be effective and walk away from the job at the end of the day with no injuries, no accidents, and his workers wanting to continue working for him. I bet that taking those short breaks pays off in the end, keeping the guys energized and ready to go. If you don't take those breaks and just wear down, you get slower and end up taking longer anyways.

sir, you have a lazy man's attitude. do you think any of the olympic athletes took it easy?

gr8scott72

gr8scott72

Addicted to ArboristSite

:notrolls2:

Bigus Termitius

Bigus Termitius

Addicted to ArboristSite

Proven.

Don't sweat the trollminator, he's all talk and as a result no action to be sure.

My guys will chug on the go when we are wound up and running. They are in their early twenties, both very good running backs in their day, one especially a work horse. They know when to chug on the go, and when to work in a breather that doesn't effect production. In any given hour there is always time for that.

I can set the pace, and often push them to their limits, but wisdom is found in the ability to know when to throttle up and throttle down and brake to get the best time possible on any given cycle.

It's not only a good practice for production, but for safety as well. I have no time for foolishness in running a production line clearance crew, soon to be multiple crews.

Any idiot can turn em and burn em, but he is clueless of the bottom line. I'd put my crew up against any such moron with twice the workers, foreign or domestic. By the end of the day, and especially noticeable by the end of the week, I'll have more done with less man hours, safely. And that is working around power and residential targets.

Last edited:
460magnumMOD

460magnumMOD

ArboristSite Lurker
Proven.

Don't sweat the trollminator, he's all talk and as a result no action to be sure.

My guys will chug on the go when we are wound up and running. They are in their early twenties, both very good running backs in their day, one especially a work horse. They know when to chug on the go, and when to work in a breather that doesn't effect production. In any given hour there is always time for that.

I can set the pace, and often push them to their limits, but wisdom is found in the ability to know when to throttle up and throttle down and brake to get the best time possible on any given cycle.

It's not only a good practice for production, but for safety as well. I have no time for foolishness in running a production line clearance crew, soon to be multiple crews.

Any idiot can turn em and burn em, but he is clueless of the bottom line. I'd put my crew up against any such moron with twice the workers, foreign or domestic. By the end of the day, and especially noticeable by the end of the week, I'll have more done with less man hours, safely. And that is working around power and residential targets.

Agreed. You put together a good crew, take good care of them, and they will take care of you. Work hard and work SMART. I also agree, chug on the go, it doesn't take that long to get a drink. But besides lunch, it's not a bad idea to take one or two 10 or 15 min. breaks. That also kinda gives you a chance to step back an asses the progress, see where your doing good and where you need to step it up.

WolverineMarine

WolverineMarine

ArboristSite Operative
I do stumping as a side business..I own my own..and I'm a very experienced heavy equipment operator that do as my primary occupation. A possible lay-off is looming at work if we don't sell some more houses pretty soon and
I'm considering looking into trying to jump on with a tree service part time to possibly get me through the winter. I have a class A cdl, spotless driving record, as before mentioned, very experienced with every kind of heavy equipment possible, knowledge of, understanding, and experience with chippers, I went through ACRT's basic arborist program on my own dime..and I own my own saddle..I am 110% reliable..eager to learn..and willing to bust my a$$ day in and day out..is there some scale I could ask for given the above mentioned..with the understanding that talk is cheap, until proven otherwise?

tree MDS
I do stumping as a side business..I own my own..and I'm a very experienced heavy equipment operator that do as my primary occupation. A possible lay-off is looming at work if we don't sell some more houses pretty soon and
I'm considering looking into trying to jump on with a tree service part time to possibly get me through the winter. I have a class A cdl, spotless driving record, as before mentioned, very experienced with every kind of heavy equipment possible, knowledge of, understanding, and experience with chippers, I went through ACRT's basic arborist program on my own dime..and I own my own saddle..I am 110% reliable..eager to learn..and willing to bust my a$$ day in and day out..is there some scale I could ask for given the above mentioned..with the understanding that talk is cheap, until proven otherwise?
Can you tie a saw on??

WolverineMarine

WolverineMarine

ArboristSite Operative
I'm pretty experienced with a saw..I'm not going to try and say something I'm not..I have a MS 361 that I use w/ my business..ACRT taught me a ton about pruning, rigging..etc..I just have yet to put much of the lessons learned into application as far as being in the trees...on the ground..I'm sure I could keep up with all but the best and most experienced groundsman.

testlight

testlight

ArboristSite Operative
Ahh come on Alaska is the best place on earth.... in the summer:) , and if you are good with a saw you can get a job as a faller and make pretty serious cash.

ropensaddle

ropensaddle

Feel Lucky
Ahh come on Alaska is the best place on earth.... in the summer:) , and if you are good with a saw you can get a job as a faller and make pretty serious cash.

I have nothing against Alaska so don't take it wrong I just can't go
back or take a pay cut, to go thousands of miles from my forty
acer nest. They are supposed to pay better there and I make
that here of course it is gross!

Last edited:

Latest posts