Growing up with Redwood's. Truely God's country.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Looking forward to going out west to see these beautiful giants!
It would be a wonderful dream come true to fall one of these monsters, yet very sorrow for the lost of one more.

Not talikng about Glenwood. Where are those at?
The 15'-18' er is about 2 miles from Boulder Creek. There is a 12'+ double a mile or so from my house. Anything over 8-10' had to have something weird about it to save it from the clear cuts of the old growth.

About 3 years ago I headed west out of Burlingame(sp). Took hwys 9 and 35 IIRC over to Santa Cruz, I must say I was impressed at some of the Redwoods and OGDF that was still left in that area.

AS member CHEVYTOWN posted a great link to a 9min film showing the start of felling, building the railway in ,right to the finish of milling it was a great film wonder if his posts are still in the system ?
Thanks for all the great pics fellas, I wish I could take a picture as well as Mr Vaden !!

Do you mean "Redwood Saga"?
YouTube - ‪Redwood Lumber Industry, Northern California - 1947‬‏

ebay has lots of great movies on dvd for just a few dollars each.

I'm just about to head to Grants Pass, I'll be thinking of some of you as I drive through the trees. Going to be hot today.
One of my treasures is an old postcard type of thing, mounted on OG Redwood, shows the attractions in the Redwoods, I can't find a good pic of it right, will get one when we get back.

I'm just about to head to Grants Pass, I'll be thinking of some of you as I drive through the trees. Going to be hot today.
One of my treasures is an old postcard type of thing, mounted on OG Redwood, shows the attractions in the Redwoods, I can't find a good pic of it right, will get one when we get back.

I used to live in the San Juaquin Valley, not 30 mins away from Yosemite. I've been there and to Kings Canyon Ntl Park dozens of times. Lovely places. A bud of mine in Clovis stated it was 103*F yesterday.

I didn't actually grow up IN the redwoods, but does it count if I was raised by Red Wolves?

New guy here. Joined to learn about saws but saw this thread and had to post. I was born and raised in Crescent City Ca. Its kinda weird because growing up in redwoods I never really paid to much attention to them other than they are huge. When I got a little older every once in a while I would stop and actually take a look at them and be in awe. My wife before we were married worked at Trees of Mystery a couple of summers in Klamath Ca. Its a tourist trap in the redwoods, but she would get people coming in asking where the redwoods were. She was like "did you not notice all those huge trees you drove by to get here"

My dad drove a loader for a mill and has some great logging videos as well as some video of falling a couple of huge redwoods in the early 80's.

If you happen to get near Hiouchi Cafe prior to 3pm closing, and need coffee or lunch, I just hung a few prints on the walls there (for display).

Hiouchi, and Crescent City are favorite towns for me to stop and eat. Often, Fish & Chips. Always, coffee for the road trip.

There is evidence that the Coast Redwood was not the tallest tree but that the Douglas-Fir was tallest. I forget how long in the past, but for guys that live north of the redwood belt I just wanted to make you feel a little bit better sense all our hippies are moving up there.

Thank's for the awesome pic's. I will get some soon. I know where there are some good grove's, but I like the lone Outlaw's myself. I love the grove's too, but it is quite a sight when you see some real tall 2nd growth, and out of nowhere you see one that tower's over them all!

Lowrider1 welcome, please hang out with us, post any pics you might have.

Mario, we went through Highhoochi about 2:30, after being crispy crittered in Orygun. I'll stop by and look next time. Your photos are first rate.

M. D. Vaden,
You post some amazing pictures of very large trees. What camera/lens are you shooting?
Frank
2Dogs,
I do live out of Boulder Creek. Where on Glenwood are the large trees? I haven't been on Glenwood in 10 years or so. A friend developed the Glenwood Acres area and I was over there a lot in the late 70's and early 80's.

The trees, one is a BIG stump and the other lost its top many years ago, are just feet off Glenwood Drive just past where the old train tunnel runs under the road. The best bet is to park on the left side of the road just past Marywood. That flat building is the old train station. The building across the road is my friends house. It is an old brandy aging station and stagecoach stop. Then walk up the road to the side road on the left and across from a bunch of mailboxes. The trees are 60 or 70 feet up the trail. There is a Clampers' plaque there.

I would be happy to lead you guys to the Mountain Charley tree (just remembered that name).

New guy here. Joined to learn about saws but saw this thread and had to post. I was born and raised in Crescent City Ca. Its kinda weird because growing up in redwoods I never really paid to much attention to them other than they are huge. When I got a little older every once in a while I would stop and actually take a look at them and be in awe. My wife before we were married worked at Trees of Mystery a couple of summers in Klamath Ca. Its a tourist trap in the redwoods, but she would get people coming in asking where the redwoods were. She was like "did you not notice all those huge trees you drove by to get here"

My dad drove a loader for a mill and has some great logging videos as well as some video of falling a couple of huge redwoods in the early 80's.

Welcome to A.S. !!! :clap:

cazadero

NORMZILLA44-----I grew up in cazadero with the parmeter's in the 50's and 60's. don't know the young one's though. John is ken's son? Jim's? I even set chokers for George P in 68 for a short time. Jerry P was one of my best friends growing up (rip Jer) he didn't make back from V-NAM. my parent's bought the old parmeter ranch on austin creek in 56 i think, i was 7. dad (Earl Proschold) built our new house and used some 2nd G redwood's that were on the property for lumber. there is a OG stump there cut about 9' above ground, don't know what year but it has spring board cuts in the stump. was about 8' in dia at the saw point.

great thread-----Kim Proschold (placerville)

Nice to meet you KIM!!:rock: I know George very well, great guy!. That is John's grandfather. I am 37, John is 30 I think. Alot of em are even younger that I don't know. Never had the pleasure to shake Jerry's hand, because my age of course. His name is on the wall, for the soldier's who were killed. What a tragedy. I also knew Bill parmeter very well. Roy, Tom, Ken, Jeff,Steve,Stacy, etc. Big family. I have trie'd to spread the town name on this site. From a passer by you wouldn't see much, but I have spent alot of time in those hill's. The town as you know has deep root's of logging, and sawmill's. Alot of people don't realize how much timber the river area really produced. The old mill in Duncan's mill's. Berry's established in 41 I think. They hauled lumber from hill's like neastrath, Bohan dillon, etc to the upper fork of the gualale river, and alot went to San francisco, and Marin. The old Annapolis mill, mill creek rd, alot of history out there. Generation's cut there teeth on Old growth. Thank's for the kind hello, and compliment on the thread. Norm Green.........

Latest posts

Back