Growing up with Redwood's. Truely God's country.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ah! Ok thought near tahoe at first, but then thought I was wrong. I have been on the Morman immigrant trail probably spelle'd it wrong.

If you can find the time, Monterey Bay Aquarium would be a major treat for the kids.

Yep. The Monterey Bay Aquarium is worth a visit. Don't bother with the Academy of Sciences aquarium in San Francisco. They RUINED it....now it's a giant shrine to the global warming fiasco. Back when it was the Steinhart Aquarium, it was fantastic. They took out the giant circular tank and many other great exhibits. Don't know why...

Last edited:
Oh yes. Avoid Sackatomatoes, there is a virus there that causes fiscal malaise.

Sackatomatoes has a most excellent railroad museum. Hwy 299 may cause car sickness. There's lots of curves on that road between Redding and the 101 junction. Weaverville has a Burger King that makes a good potty stop.

Close by the Newport, OR aquarium is the Rogue Brewery. Excellent beers and a nice view of the bay from their tasting/eating room. Sometimes they have beer sales. I am partial to their Hazelnut Brown Ale. The brewery is almost under the south east side of the bridge.

Nice Aaron! The gophers are eating hole's near mine, and pushing there luck!

Same here. We have a bumper crop of the bastards this year. My Redwoods are old/big enough that they're not bothered by 'em. Aaron's not so happy about the errosion they're causing however. I ran one down with the mower a couple months ago. Got it with the RF tire...:hmm3grin2orange:

Sackatomatoes has a most excellent railroad museum. Hwy 299 may cause car sickness. There's lots of curves on that road between Redding and the 101 junction. Weaverville has a Burger King that makes a good potty stop.

Close by the Newport, OR aquarium is the Rogue Brewery. Excellent beers and a nice view of the bay from their tasting/eating room. Sometimes they have beer sales. I am partial to their Hazelnut Brown Ale. The brewery is almost under the south east side of the bridge.

I'll second the Railroad Museum.

(Psstt, men don't do potty stops, we uh well nevermind)

well I stepped out to demo some of my saws and when I got back in my wife had our trip all planned out. I guess we are going to the trees of mystery and then winding up to newport, I might have to deviate off and see some other places.

The Trees of Misery.
They have a really nice Native American Museum.

When you get to Crescent City, take a left at Front Street and a left at the end of it, to see the Lighthouse. After that, go north on A Street, a left on 5th to follow the shoreline. Pebble Beach Drive ends at Washington, turn right to find 101.

The Trees of Misery.
They have a really nice Native American Museum.

When you get to Crescent City, take a left at Front Street and a left at the end of it, to see the Lighthouse. After that, go north on A Street, a left on 5th to follow the shoreline. Pebble Beach Drive ends at Washington, turn right to find 101.

That is funny. The wife and kids will like the museum as they have native blood. Thank you for the directions, I hope too find a nice tree to take some saw pics.

The drive through the Park north of Orick should not be missed. If you have time, turn left just after you get out of the trees, there is a stretch of old 101 that will take you down to the river by what is left of the bridge. Along the way is a WWII radar station There is also a road that will take you to the mouth of the Klamath.

well I stepped out to demo some of my saws and when I got back in my wife had our trip all planned out. I guess we are going to the trees of mystery and then winding up to newport, I might have to deviate off and see some other places.

My wife worked at trees of mystery as a summer job. Do what RandyMac said and tour the Battery Point lighthouse then take a drive up the Crescent City Coast. Also if you want to take a drive through the redwoods on a gravel road in the mountains you could go over Holland Hill which will come out just the other side of Hiouchi, then when you get back to the highway go left towards Hiouchi then go right after Jed Smith state park before the bridge and it will take you back to 101 to head back up the coast. Let me know if you want to know some good restaurants in Crescent City.

good info here, will be a morning adventure and then up to newport as I am the odd man out who want to see the trees, might change when we get there if I can incoprate other things like the light house and ocean, but still need to be in newport friday to make it home by sunday so on a tight schedule. How accomidating are the rangers in leting me take pics of my Homelite next to some big trees? Should I ask first or just fire it up for some action photos?:msp_biggrin:

Pictures in the Park can be done.
2100013.jpg

It is easier to ask forgiveness than permission.

The side trips through the Park north of Orick will have tons of trees. About a half mile north of the Elk Prairie, on the right is Cal-Barrel Rd, make that stop to do saw pics, I won't fire it up though.

Cal-Barrel

JackPalomino006.jpg

Norm, the Chart Room is about 3 miles.

Latest posts

Back