GTG in MA

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BostonBull said:
Let me know what kind and size logs we will need for this event. I can get ANY size, length and type you can think of that is around here. I will have bobcats and other machinery available to aid in the moving of said logs. I can get anything up to the 80" range which is usually pine, spruce, elm and oak, some maples a bit smaller also.

bb
pine or poplar would be best, nothing too big as you want to be able to pass a 16in bar through it. a little bigger for the over 100cc saw's something you can pass a 20 in bar through maybe even a 25in bar would be fun. just cut the jogs in 4-5 ft lengths.

russ will be able to give you a better idea as far as diameter of the logs. they should get a little bigger as we go up in cc class's. is there any chance you can get milled 8x8's or 10x10's , just thought i'd ask.

KF I will be able to get pine or poplar your choice. I may be able to get 8x8 or 10x10 I will ask the log truck driver what the mill has and have him pick up a few if available. What kind of wood should these be pine?

What else may I need to have on hand out of the ordinary?

460Ted said:
Beer? For when your finished?:D
Does a fish breathe water? And not for when were finished...nothing goes better with chainsaws than beer......for the spectators of course;)

BostonBull said:
Does a fish breathe water? And not for when were finished...nothing goes better with chainsaws than beer......for the spectators of course;)

BB
it's your show so you do as you please. but since your having this gtg on some one else's property i don't think your boss will be happy seeing his yard littered with beer can's.

thing's always have a way of getting ugly when the alcohol come's out. just remember TIME AND PLACE. if you plan on having coolers of beer there please let me know in advance, because then i will not be attending.

kf_tree said:
BB
it's your show so you do as you please. but since your having this gtg on some one else's property i don't think your boss will be happy seeing his yard littered with beer can's.

thing's always have a way of getting ugly when the alcohol come's out. just remember TIME AND PLACE. if you plan on having coolers of beer there please let me know in advance, because then i will not be attending.

I think it is important to consider the Time and Place, essentially not to be a bunch of loud drunks and abuse the privledge of using someones elses property, shop, etc.

But to protest going just because some (hopefully) responsible adults will be having a few beers smacks of intolerance. Its kinda like you want to make the rules and deprive others of the extra enjoyment of a few beers just because you have an issue with it. Come out and have fun without the alcohol if you like and you wont hear me complaining that you didnt drink.

Sounds like a good time. I'll definitely try to make it even though I won't be able to run a saw ( having rotator cuff surgery Jan 19 ). Maybe I can get a buddy of mine to do the driving.
I'll bring along a stock Dolmar 5100 and a ms460 with just a muffler mod for comparisons.

bvaught said:
I think it is important to consider the Time and Place, essentially not to be a bunch of loud drunks and abuse the privledge of using someones elses property, shop, etc.

But to protest going just because some (hopefully) responsible adults will be having a few beers smacks of intolerance. Its kinda like you want to make the rules and deprive others of the extra enjoyment of a few beers just because you have an issue with it. Come out and have fun without the alcohol if you like and you wont hear me complaining that you didnt drink.

i can only assume you don't work on a tree crew and never have or else you would know where i'm coming from.

who are going to be the spectators.......but bb's coworkers. bb was pretty quick to say yes to the drinking , but hopefully it was just a bad joke on his part.
at marky's gtg there were spaectators there sucking down beers all day and sure enough as the day wore on they started making stupid comments. i'm not trying to make the rule's but i'm just telling you how i will live by the rules that bb sets and how i live by my own set of rule's. but, i'd like to know the rules before i drive 3-4 hours to get there. fair enough?

Last edited:
kf_tree said:
BB

He was just asking and stating a fact. WTF. This is as tactful as I hope we get.

Some people can take the booze others can't. It mellows my edge and I get nicer, but it shows the azzhole in alot. You guys been drinking today?

Fred

BB your GTG is well timed and most gracious. If I didn't know better I'd think Dean, Ben, and you were in it together ( I haven't ruled it out and I'll be the donkey). You can't buy advertising that is as good as this publicity.

kf_tree said:
i can only assume you don't work on a tree crew and never have or else you would know where i'm coming from.

who are going to be the spectators.......but bb's coworkers. bb was pretty quick to say yes to the drinking , but hopefully it was just a bad joke on his part.
at marky's gtg there were spaectators there sucking down beers all day and sure enough as the day wore on they started making stupid comments. i'm not trying to make the rule's but i'm just telling you how i will live by the rules that bb sets and how i live by my own set of rule's. but, i'd like to know the rules before i drive 3-4 hours to get there. fair enough?

Fair enough, I see where you are coming from now. No I havent worked on a tree crew. If there is drinking at the GTG I hope everyone does so in good spirit.

Russ: I appreciate the offer, but I'd rather drive up. planes and me dont mix well at all.

As far as drinking goes, I'm cool with it. if ya let me have my cigars, I'm happy.

Lawn Masters said:
Russ: I appreciate the offer, but I'd rather drive up. planes and me dont mix well at all.

As far as drinking goes, I'm cool with it. if ya let me have my cigars, I'm happy.

Hmmm, I might know somebody that just got back from the islands that might have some Cubans.....

OK guys we will b havijng this shindig on Feb. 4th. We will see how the day goes for the beer issue we'll play it by ear but most likely the end of the day will be the best time for it when evryones just hanging out. I will need a head count of definates soon so I can get the food thing settled.

I will hopefully have my modded saw by then right dean? lol
We will also have husky stock ranging in size from 357xp all the way to 3120xp. All are a few months old as the boss loves new saws except the 395xp, and the 3120xp. We also have stihl MS 200T, and 192T. And we have a bunch of the new 575XP's to play with at the yard. Iw ill bring my 038 Mag II also.

Wood is all set we will have pine 12"-24", and some 10x10 and hopefully 8x8!

KF......how old should the wood be? Slightly seasoned fresh cut? Debarked?

Let me know if anyone wants high octane fuel I will grab a gallon or two. We will have bar oil on hand and tons of it. We have husky oil in 1 gallon jugs and Cling Tuff in 55 gallon drums. We will have the saw shop opened all day for adjustment and reapirs and all the tools and air tool you would need there. We will try to have both cranes there for people to look at the 38 ton national, and the 2004 Grove 3055 60 ton crane. We also ahve BC1800XL's for people to check out if interested and brand new rear mount b uckets with elevators.

Let me know if I missed anything and I will post directions when needed!

Lets get this party started!!!

kf_tree said:
BB

No worries KF I know where your coming froma bunch of arborists and beer things tend to get loud and most of the time physical. I will keep it to a minimum till later on in the show.....good?

Russ are you definately bringing few saws and mor importantly a log stand? If not we can always use the bobcat with a grapple but the stand would be nice to have.

BostonBull said:
I will hopefully have my modded saw by then right dean? lol
We will also have husky stock ranging in size from 357xp all the way to 3120xp. All are a few months old as the boss loves new saws except the 395xp, and the 3120xp. We also have stihl MS 200T, and 192T. And we have a bunch of the new 575XP's to play with at the yard. Iw ill bring my 038 Mag II also.

Wood is all set we will have pine 12"-24", and some 10x10 and hopefully 8x8!

KF......how old should the wood be? Slightly seasoned fresh cut? Debarked?

for the smaller saw's like the 50 and 60 cc wood around 10in would be best........but if all you have is 12in that is fine don't get too nuts about it. we usually set up all the saw's with 16 in bar's and pull the dogs off. ed set up my 880 with a 20 in bar so it will cut some bigger wood. i'll bring some longer bars too if you have some big wood there. the wood shouldn't be too old and debarked would be best for the race chains. i'll ask ed about the age of the wood next week.

since we'll be cutting cookies we won't go through as much wood as you probably think. i'll bring a stand either way.

Hi BB,

Great timing for a GTG. I live out near Worcester so this will be the shortest drive for a GTG for me yet. Let me know if you need help setting anything up. I can stop by after work on Friday the 3rd if needed.

Cheers,

Bob

rmihalek said:
Hi BB,

Great timing for a GTG. I live out near Worcester so this will be the shortest drive for a GTG for me yet. Let me know if you need help setting anything up. I can stop by after work on Friday the 3rd if needed.

Cheers,

Bob

Appreciate the offer I will let you know. Is anyone going to NE Grows the week before this event in Boston?

Back