Guide bar paint... what do you use?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Den

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Searched the forums, and there was not much specifics on guide bar paint... just on baking paint on with heat.

What do you find is a really good quality paint that adheres to guide bars?

I'm not really interested in paying to have guide bars powder coated, or parkerized.

I only have painted one, just did it up with cheap silver spray paint. Cleaned the bar up real good (very important to degrease completely). After about a year of use the bar got wrecked when I was cutting a hollow tree but the paint had not worn at all.

It is very important to let oil based paint dry till it is no longer soft before you use it. If you can dig your fingernail into it, it is not going to last long. My friend's dad always said if you wanted equipment paint to last the longest, let it sit till you can no longer smell the paint. Obviously that is not always practical but I try to do it when I can.

I bought Stihl paint to restore a 25" rollermatic bar. Sanded it bare, degreased it then heated it with a torch to about 180* and hit it with 2 coats. Then applied a super thin decal.
d34ee287beb7233c7a072ac4862c3533.jpg

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

What’s the point of painting a bar? I get that it makes it look a little newer.
Looks better, helps to show where you may be having a problem (paint burns at a hot spot) and gives corrosion resistance.

Paint would definitely help with corrosion control, especially if there one has to cut/prune and palm trees.
True. Down here its more rust from 90% humidity. I wipe my bars down after i use them and they can tell you alot if you pay attention to them.

I'm restoring a 1966 Homelite and I used a sandable Rust-Oleum primer a gray Rust-Oleum paint.
I forget which shade but when I go out to the barn later I'll get the the paint can numbers.

Back