Guido's Last Hurrah: Part I

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tree md

tree md

Addicted to ArboristSite
Happyjack,

Yup, writing strictly off the cuff, bro. But I've been telling these stories for years. I'm just filling in what's already in my head by doing what writers do, letting a little imagination run wild.

Guido was a legend where I did tree work in Marin County. You know how guys tell stories at saw shops, right? Kind of like fishermen at the bar...

LOL, who hasn't had that conversation with the operator? I can't count the times I've had that same exchange with crane operators. "well, if you'd have let me cut it where I planned to it wouldn't have rolled"...

Good authentic tree-man writing! :clap:

Mapleman

Mapleman

ArboristSite Operative
PART XI

There had always been a certain amount of debate as to where Guido had come from. Some said he was a spawn of Paul Bunyon and his blue ox. Others claimed he had ridden into the Bay Area from the north on an old Harley ala Easy Rider--before there was an Easy Rider--a Bigfoot scalp flapping from his sissy bar. And there were also persistent rumors he had just appeared on earth like the Immaculate Conception, fully grown with a 090, right out of the head of Thor himself. But I knew better because I met an ex-con who had done some time with Guido down in Tracey…

Guido had been putting himself through school at U of C Santa Cruz by doing tree work. In those days, the late 60s, Santa Cruz was a mixture of granola crunching, pot growing flower children; laid back surfers; gnarly hard-bitten loggers; and college professionals. Guido moved freely between all of them. He had just turned twenty and was a year and a half away from graduating. Then it happened—a chance event that can determine one’s future by how one reacts or doesn’t react, and quite often the difference between reaction and no reaction is a matter of seconds.

After dropping a medium-sized redwood between a house and garage, Guido was bucking the trunk into 16’ 8” lengths, like he’d always done when sending logs to the mill. Halfway through a cut with a 038, he was pushed in the back, bumping his left knee into the trunk and almost stumbling over the log. His boss was screaming that the logs were supposed to be 12 footers, not 16s. Guido shut the saw off, pitched it aside, and then cold cocked his employer with a straight right to the nose. His boss, a big man at 6’ 4” and 230 pounds (five inches taller and forty pounds heavier than Guido) fell over backwards, banging his head on a six inch stub and swallowing his tongue. Guido got ten years for manslaughter, being let out after three and a half for good behavior. It hadn’t helped Guido that his former employer’s family had connections with the local DA.

Guido spent his time at Tracey on the weight pile, at the library, and in the company of druggies and bikers. He added thirty-five pounds of muscle to his already buffed body and books like "The Electric Acid Kool Aid Test," Ken Kesey’s "One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest," and Elridge Clever’s "Soul on Ice" to his reading repertoire. Like a virus that mutates due to its environment, prison had mutated Guido into something there was no coming back from…

Last edited:
Mapleman

Mapleman

ArboristSite Operative
Yeah, the whole euc man/oak man thing started back in the 70s in the Bay Area: spurs vs. free climbing; brawn vs. finesse; yin vs. yang...

Part XII is coming up...

Mapleman

Mapleman

ArboristSite Operative
Oh yeah, Don Blair propagated a lot of that...I got a few stories about him too, some of them not so good...but that's for another time and place...

Mapleman

Mapleman

ArboristSite Operative
PART XII

To say Short Skirt Sue had a thing for tree climbers would be like saying the sky is blue. It was an inherent established fact, beyond dispute. And to state the inverse, that climbers had a thing for Sue, would be equally axiomatic. But it was not just any climber Sue would set her sights on. She had a special place in her heart, and in her loins, for climbers who did the “really big ones,” as she so eloquently put it.

Sue would not have been classified as a possessor of a beautiful body by any known standard or stretch of the imagination, nor would her face have caused a country to launch a single ship, let alone a thousand like Greece had done over Helen of Troy. Rather she was one of those rare women who possess indefinable qualities that can make a man mortgage his Malibu beach house, even if he didn’t own one. It was something in the way she walked and the way she brushed her long dark-brown hair from her face. It was something that lingered in the spaces between her words when she asked about your day while taking off your climbing boots after nine hours of bombing wood. And it was something in her finger tips when she massaged you from shoulders to feet, not missing any part of your anatomy.

Guido had met Sue in 1977 while working in the hills outside the town of Sonoma, up in Jack London country. He was in the process of wrecking a big blue gum. The tree was in a field about thirty feet behind a barn, and any tree man worth his spurs could have wrecked that tree without lowering a stick.

The bottom half of the tree had been limbed out the day before, when after tying in at a strong crotch eighty-five feet up, Guido had limb walked the lower branches: taking them in two or three pieces; making compression cuts so pieces fell flat; and leaving the stubs small, just beyond the wide collars, so as to avoid chunks bouncing off the stubs when he began to chunk the tree down the following day. All the brush and wood were staying, so Guido ended his first day nicking up limbs and clearing a space so he could do it all over again in the morning.

Doing solo big takedowns can be a tricky thing. There’s always the possibility, especially with eucs--and with some native hardwoods as well--of jamming your saw in the undercut, and also on the top cut due to euc limbs “rolling” when breaking off due to their spiral grain. Because of the extra weight of euc gum, undercuts have a habit of closing quickly, so shallower undercuts need to be made or else small face cuts. And with top cuts on large branches, sometimes it’s smart to side cut a couple of inches to limit the amount of “roll.” Getting a saw jammed in an undercut fifty feet up can be a b**ch even when you have a groundie to send up another saw. Having to leave your saw tied off to the tree while you descend to get another, then roping back up and limb walking out to the jam is a whole litter of b**ches.

Guido had done enough blue gums to avoid saw jams. But no matter how good a climber he or anyone else tells you they are, having a piece of wood flop back on your climbing line is as much a part of the job as putting on your boots in the morning. That is unless a climber uses fancy equipment and keeps his rope in coils while carrying it with him. But Guido didn’t climb that way.

But back to how Guido met Sue…

She rented a small apartment in the converted barn and had been watching Guido work his way through the euc. Guido had been watching her watching him, and like any good showman, he was inspired to make sure his audience enjoyed the show, even if the audience thought the price of admission was free, which it rarely is. Rather than use his flip line to ascend, Guido was body thrusting up his climbing line, making sure his exaggerated hip thrusts were clearly visible to Sue. Once he had the euc limbed out, Guido started flopping pieces to the ground, using Humboldt cuts so the wood hit flat and made a big “whop” when contacting the ground. He would flick his 056 off with his left thumb, swing the saw with his left hand back to his ladder snap on his left hip, clip the saw in with his right hand from behind his back, then push the piece over deftly with the palm of his left hand--doing it with all the flair and flourish of a marching band leader twirling one of those big batons.

About halfway down the trunk, after an especially loud “whop” on the ground, Guido over cut the next Humboldt and the piece of euc rotated a quarter turn more than usual, hitting an adjacent log and flipping backward on to his climbing rope, burying it in the dirt between two roots. His climbing rope thoroughly jammed despite all exertions to loosen it, Guido would have to spike down the tree to free his rope. Sue let him flip down the trunk ten feet or so before she opened her window and shouted, “Hey tree man, looks like you got your panties tied in a knot. Need any help?”

And that’s how Guido met Sue.

Last edited:
b1rdman

b1rdman

Addicted to ArboristSite
Outstanding

What a great read. The use of "axiomatic" brought you up to an 11 on a scale of 1-10 but you fell to 9.99 when you wrote "in her loins".

Don't go romance novel on us ya here!?

:cheers:

Mapleman

Mapleman

ArboristSite Operative
b1rdman

What a great read. The use of "axiomatic" brought you up to an 11 on a scale of 1-10 but you fell to 9.99 when you wrote "in her loins".

Don't go romance novel on us ya here!?

:cheers:

Couldn't resist it--but don't worry, this is a story of dark tragedy, not romance...

treemandan

treemandan

Tree Freak
Yeah, the whole euc man/oak man thing started back in the 70s in the Bay Area: spurs vs. free climbing; brawn vs. finesse; yin vs. yang...

Part XII is coming up...

Sounds interesting. At 5foot7, 150lbees I have to go with finesse and pretty much as much as I can. I would suppose that would make me an oak man? Whichever I am not sure.
I thought about doing some exerpts on a fellow named Simcox myself.Cept I didn't know him that long and am glad not to.

treemandan

treemandan

Tree Freak
so if Guido had been a "tidy-er" climber...

I don't know if I learned this from someone but I kinda think I just figured it out ( I know, I'm great): If you make the under cut of the compression cut like makeing a dado cut on a table saw ( widen the kerf) you are sure to have good results. Make sense? I usually see lots of guys get stuck and the ones that don't make shallow undercuts. I usually have fun with this on the 44. My Goodness! Catch em right and they look like salmon jumping. see now I just came up with a new catch phrase for The Dan next time he does it, he can say " Ima gonna make this salmon jump". what a thrill.

Slvrmple72

Slvrmple72

Addicted to ArboristSite
Sounds "Fishy" Treemandan. Speaking of which, never ever give a four yr old any sort of fishing lure with treble hooks on it. Even if you have him casting from the far side of the lake you will be going to the ER. One hook is bad enough.

Mapleman

Mapleman

ArboristSite Operative
Yeah, I'm an oak man too, but with severe euc tendencies on suitable occasions--Hurricane Ivan being the last. Anyone else work that one? Pensacola looked like it had been whooped with an ugly stick.

I mounted my 44 with a 28 incher. Probably a little overmatched, but then I don't production cut with it in hardwood. My real work horse is a 257 with a 20. Power to weight ratio is superb. Great topping saw when you need something to get out of your face quickly.

Mapleman

Mapleman

ArboristSite Operative
XIII

The back roads of Sonoma Valley, between the mountains and the coast, pass through miles of undulating grapevines and groves of towering firs and redwoods. Open pasture lands are dotted with massive California live oaks and pungent bay trees. It is some of the most beautiful land I’ve ever seen, and if I were given the chance to enter a time machine and go to a place and time of my choosing, it would be this land before the Europeans arrived with their religions and diseases.

The country here had been first settled by Spanish ranchers in the early eighteenth century. In the second half of the 1800s the loggers came, followed much later by wine makers and their vineyards. Dotted among these vineyards are roadside mom-and-pop taverns that sometimes have to be entered through a small grocery store selling olive oil, pastas, and a variety of Mexican food stuffs. The interiors of these taverns are quite often decorated in an Old West--Gold Rush motif, with replicas of antique rifles, wanted posters, and photos of old wineries and horse and buggies littering the walls. It was in just such a place that Geena, Guido, and Fred, the crane operator, had retired to after finishing the job up at the Geyers.

Guido and Geena sat shoulder to shoulder, drinking Rainiers Ale and chasing it with shots of JD, while Fred stuck to his Coors. They all sat at the bar which consisted of a twenty foot long, three foot wide slab of Douglas fir. And as they lubricated their throats and tongues, the outlandishness of their stories became directly proportional to their alcoholic consumption. It was as if they were contestants in a game show where the winner would be decided by who could tell a lie so outrageous that it had to be true. Geena won, and here is her tale:

A group of Russian veterans from the Afghan War decided one day to go into the cattle business. They lived in the southern Siberian city of Krasnoyarsk. During the ‘80s they had all been crew members on large transport planes carrying troops and supplies into Bagram Airbase north of Kabul, Afghanistan.

Fast forward to 1996. Their leader, Viktor, was still a pilot. He and the other men now worked for a government-owned transport company that flew throughout eastern Asia. They hadn’t been paid in several months, so in the midst of a three-day drinking party Viktor and his drunken comrades decided to become independent entrepreneurs. The Japanese government had leased a giant cargo jet from the company the men worked for, and the vets were assigned to fly an AN-124 Condor to Japan.
For a quarter century the AN-124 was the largest transport plane ever built. With an overhead door and retractable loading ramp mounted in its tail section, it could transport a downed American fighter jet or a Russian space orbiter. In their inebriated states of mind, Viktor and his seven compatriots reasoned it would be unconscionable to let all of the Condor’s 1,028 cubic meters of cargo space go to waste on its journey to Yokohama, especially knowing the cost of a sirloin dinner in a Tokyo restaurant. They converted kilograms of beef into square meters of floor space, and yen into rubles, determining the precise number of cattle needed to buy a vacation home near the Black Sea. The next day the veterans began their preparations.

North of the Sayan Mountains which span the central Mongolian border, and to the east of the Yenisey River, lie lush grasslands where once Soviet agricultural production cooperatives raised cattle in order to supply beef to workers and passengers of the Trans-Siberian Railway. These farms were now manned by unpaid cowboys. Over the course of a few months, an outbreak of cow thievery commenced on the poorly guarded cooperatives that would have been the envy of any cattle rustler who ever rode the Chisolm Trail. Using motorcycles and trucks, the young cowboys herded and transported cattle to a makeshift corral in a wooded area a few hundred meters southeast of a landing strip. The strip had been built to accommodate jumbo transport planes like the AN-124s which had serviced nuclear weapon and defense plants at two ultra-secret cities of the Soviet era.
On a raw September evening, 225 cows crowded a barbed wire pen. Riding horses and motorcycles, the Russian cowboys herded the cattle through a copse of aspen trees toward the end of a runway where the yawning rear of an AN-124 lay open like the arched entryway to a tunnel. The steel ramp rattled with nine hundred hooves as cattle jostled into the plane’s belly. Once the hydraulic ramp had been retracted and the cargo door closed, the eight-man crew prepared for takeoff. Air-traffic control and security at the understaffed airport had all received the appropriate bribes commensurate with their status. It was all systems go for Viktor and his airborne cowboys. Everything was smooth flying until the 124 hit turbulence over the Sea of Japan. The cattle spooked and broke down the barrier separating the crew from the cows. The co-pilot immediately opened the rear door and the cows stampeded toward the daylight.

Thirty thousand feet below, Japanese fishermen in commercial fishing boats watched as cattle fell from the sky into the aqua blue sea surrounding their boats. It brought a whole new meaning to the term "sea cows."

Last edited:

Latest posts