Guido's Last Hurrah: Part I

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PART XV

Guido had a strong aversion for bullies. And on more than a few occasions that aversion had landed him in jail. The first time was in 1963 when he was 16. But in every dark cloud…

Guido grew up in Orange County--when there were still orange groves there…in the 50s and early 60s before a second wave of realtors, developers, and lawyers zeroed in on the place like frenzied sharks devouring chum…when Interstate 5 was a four lane road and the only “freeway” in town.

He and his buddies would skip high school every Friday afternoon, load up their surfboards and buy a case of beer, then drive out to the beach, listening to James Brown and the Beach Boys. One of his friends was a skinny black kid named Applejack. He was probably the only Afro-American surfer on Huntington Beach at the time.

Over a July Fourth weekend, with Huntington Beach packed with locals and out-of-towners, Guido, Applejack, and two local white girls partied fifty feet south of the pier. Four muscle headed, drunken yahoos from Bakersfield watched the inter-racial scene from their perch on the pier. They’d been turned down by every girl they had hit on that day and decided to rectify matters by instituting their own brand of social justice. They left the pier and surrounded Guido, Applejack, and the two girls, demanding to know by what right did a black boy have to be seen in public with a white girl, especially one in a two piece swim suit.

Guido decided to go for the biggest of the four first. He hit the yahoo square on the left side of the face with his right elbow, then whirled and grabbed the next goon by his T-shirt, pummeling him with his right fist. After he had taken the third to the ground with a sky move he’d become quite proficient at as captain of the Costa Mesa wrestling team, the remaining bigot fled the scene. One of the muscle heads got a broken jaw; another got a fractured eye socket; and Guido got a year of juvenile detention, as it was not his first offense.

Guido was raised for the most part by Dmitri--his Russian grandfather, climbing teacher, and survivor of Stalin’s gulags--and Dmitri, had he still been alive, would have been proud of the way Guido extricated himself from the Orange County Juvenile Detention Center.

In 1963, OCJDC occupied eight acres of land just south of downtown Anaheim. A dozen brick buildings comprising an administration center, mess hall, laundry, classrooms, dormitories, and recreational facilities were surrounded by a fifteen foot red brick wall topped with three strands of barbed wire. The place was lightly patrolled as climbing fifteen feet of smooth brick was not deemed possible, at least not by teenagers.

Inmates were provided with all essential hygienic products, including a daily allotment of dental floss. Over the course of six months, Guido hoarded floss. He bought it, stole it, and traded for it. He also attended welding classes where he fashioned a crude grappling hook.

A week short of his seventeenth birthday, the floss rope attained the thickness of a phone cord, fourteen feet long. Guido celebrated his birthday with Applejack and a fifth of Jack Daniels, his future as a climber now thoroughly assured.

Two decades later and five hundred and fifty miles to the north, Geena and Guido snorted coke and chased it with JD, celebrating the Geyser job and Guido’s thirty-fifth birthday. He sometimes mused if it might be his last...

Last edited:
Has Husky figured out the spark plug cover on the 335 yet? I bought mine the first year they came out. I wish I had 20 bucks for everytime I've been zapped by that thing....

Almost bad as peein on the lectric fence when I was a kid. They changed the number from 335 to 338 and made stronger clips or something cuz I never had trouble with cover on first 338. Time I bought my second 338 they put a screw bout half inch off center to hold it on for sure. Then I sprung for a MS200T "the prom queen" and the 338s pretty much stay in the saw box anymore. I hear talk of a 339 . . . not interested.

Hey, I can see the writing on the wall about the demise of Guido, our hero. Just a simple request, that he doesn't exit stage left while doin tree work? Your audience may never recover, at least this fan. . .

Almost bad as peein on the lectric fence when I was a kid. They changed the number from 335 to 338 and made stronger clips or something cuz I never had trouble with cover on first 338. Time I bought my second 338 they put a screw bout half inch off center to hold it on for sure. Then I sprung for a MS200T "the prom queen" and the 338s pretty much stay in the saw box anymore. I hear talk of a 339 . . . not interested.

Hey, I can see the writing on the wall about the demise of Guido, our hero. Just a simple request, that he doesn't exit stage left while doin tree work? Your audience may never recover, at least this fan. . .

Like a warrior, he'll go out with his boots on, doing what he loves to do, and it ain't ridin' a horse off into the sunset...

This is good stuff.

I took the liberty of translating it into russian and I've called it Ivan's last bottle of Vodka.

It's selling on the web like hotcakes!

German edition to be available soon.

Now, I can almost afford my first 200T.

The cover's still on my 335, but the coverless one I used to have would give me the occasional boost.

Keep it coming! ;)

Like a warrior, he'll go out with his boots on, doing what he loves to do, and it ain't ridin' a horse off into the sunset...

Like the jump 3/4 the way up Devil's Tower, Wyoming, you jump or climb back down.
Ever been there?

LT...

Like the jump 3/4 the way up Devil's Tower, Wyoming, you jump or climb back down.
Ever been there?

LT...

Down climbing--ouch!

No LT, can't say as I have been to the Towers. I've heard there's some good routes there. I haven't done a lot of multi-pitch climbs or big faces. Mostly smaller stuff, top roping off an anchor or free climbing stuff under 5.8, especially at Joshua Tree. However, when I was in Oz I did get into some bigger stuff at Arapiles (sp) located in the state of South Australia. That, was a gas!

So what's the jump? From one hand hold or shelf to another?

It's a shelf to shelf. 1 st shelf disappears into the rock w/ another rock poking out about waist high. You can't crawl in between though. On that rock there is set protection around the corner (blind). My brother set a rope in the ring, with my cousin and I holding him. He jimmied around using the protection after a long drawn out plan, the span was about 7 foot. The rock sticks out like Guido's nose. Next went my cousin, not to bad cause the rope was set. I had to unhook the rope by myself, I barely could reach it with a few attempts. You need a step to get momentum up for a jump. Told the boys to hang on and I soared like an eagle. At that height the 120' spruces looked like a carpet. The best rush I EVER had. We hit the summit at dusk and belayed down in the dark. Like watching my children being born, I'll never forget this experience.

LT...

It's a shelf to shelf. 1 st shelf disappears into the rock w/ another rock poking out about waist high. You can't crawl in between though. On that rock there is set protection around the corner (blind). My brother set a rope in the ring, with my cousin and I holding him. He jimmied around using the protection after a long drawn out plan, the span was about 7 foot. The rock sticks out like Guido's nose. Next went my cousin, not to bad cause the rope was set. I had to unhook the rope by myself, I barely could reach it with a few attempts. You need a step to get momentum up for a jump. Told the boys to hang on and I soared like an eagle. At that height the 120' spruces looked like a carpet. The best rush I EVER had. We hit the summit at dusk and belayed down in the dark. Like watching my children being born, I'll never forget this experience.

LT...

Man, You wrote that so well, I could feel the rush. Besides the feeling at the end of a successful big tree day, I'd have to say the most alive (outside of romantic trysts) I've ever felt is coming off a big exposed piece of rock where every muscle down to my finger tips were flexed, and where there was an element of if I didn't fully live in the moment while on the rock, I might not be around to live at all...

PART XVI

It was the summer of ’68 and Guido’s first big tree was a mossy grizzled Douglas fir in the Santa Cruz Mountains that topped out at 175 feet. He climbed it with a pair of gaffs he borrowed from an “old timer” who’d been waiting for a rookie to show up to climb a tree he was either unable and/or unwilling to climb. This so called old timer, Frenchie, used to climb the big ones until he got soft, obese, and had experienced the effects of the “virginal wrench.” (Actually old timer is a bit of a misnomer, as Frenchie had just turned thirty-six.) Seems Frenchie had lost his nerve as well as his waistline, and the final nail in his coffin was when his wife threatened to leave “if you keep climbing those damn widow maker firs.”

Guido didn’t mind. He was twenty-one and full of testosterone. And it was obvious Frenchie knew his way up and down a tree, even if he wasn’t quite up to doing it anymore. So what if he was only paying $3.50/hour. Guido learned fast, and he knew that after this tree, he’d be able to get the “big bucks” he was sure Frenchie was making on this Doug fir.

Big Doug firs are great to work in, once you get up in them. But that’s the rub…getting up in them. Some guys shot lines in them with crossbows or homemade “line guns” similar to what is used to shoot lines from ship to ship while out at sea. (This was long before modern day toys like Big Shots). But everyone I knew climbed the monsters the old fashion way—with spurs and a manila steel-core flip line. The feature that made climbing Dougies so maddening is their profusion of stubs, and to a lesser degree, dead branches, that pockmarked the trunk for the first fifty plus feet before you hit the first real branch. Sure, I can hear you now: “So just cut them off.” Problem is that when you are in four and a half to five foot diameter wood, and that little seven inch stub is on the backside of the tree, you have to squirrel around the trunk in order to knock that puppy off. Oh yeah, did I mention that there is a profusion, as in a ton, of these stubs on really big Doug firs.

Frenchie used a one-inch steel pipe to knock the suckers off, and that’s what he gave to Guido. A hole was drilled in one end, and a quarter inch line hooked to a primitive beaner secured it to the ring of a climbing saddle. Any stubs that could not be dispatched with the pipe were cut off with a climbing saw, which in those days was most likely a “small” Homelite or McCollough—both rear handle, all metal saws. Still, it was no walk in the park. Invariably the flip line found something to get caught on: a small protrusion of wood, a furrowed piece of bark, or a gnat’s ass.

Guido spiraled up the tree—to his later regret—popping stubs and cutting dead branches. When he got to the first live branch, he snorted. Now all he had to do was get up and over the branch. But first he had to free his friction bound rope which was whirled around the trunk several times. But as I said, Guido was twenty-one and full of testosterone…

Some guys use two flip lines, a kind of a catch and release deal, to navigate branches. Others toss their climbing line and try to lasso an overhead limb. This process will usually have to be repeated for a while, at least until the limbs are close enough together that, standing on one, you can reach up and grab the next, then perform a move something similar to what rock climbers call a “mantle”: Do a pull up, kick a leg over the branch, pull up again until you’re chest high with the branch, then push down on the limb with your palms into a straddle position. Guido used this method. No one taught it to him. It just came natural.

The Doug fir was obviously too big to drop from the ground or otherwise Frenchie would have done it, and Guido wouldn’t be climbing it. Fifty feet or so needed to be taken out of the top to fit the tree into the desired “hole.” Some of the longer branches needed to be cut also, and Frenchie shouted out instructions, cupping his hands around his mouth and bellowing like a bull horn. Guido noticed straight away that the limbs were strong with clean tight grain, so he had no second thoughts about monkeying up the tree without a tie in. He felt he was in his natural element, like an orangutan in the wild, with no one around to look over his shoulder and say do this or don’t do that. Even the boom box of a Frenchman, 130 feet below, could not disturb his state of mind.

Guido picked out a suitable place to make his top cuts. He snapped his flip line in just below a particularly strong branch so as to protect against bark and wood flaring out from the sides and catching his core rope should the top break unevenly or too quickly. He planned to make the bottom of his face cut about eighteen inches up from his flip line. Once he was tied in, he limbed off everything on the back side of the 26-inch trunk within reach, then made a face cut a third of the way through the front side. The top had lean and weight in the direction of the fall, so Guido side notched the tree before making his back cut to lessen the chance of it barber chairing.

He had switched over saws, from a Homelite XL 12 to a 700 McCollough. Guido full throttled the saw several times to assure himself the McCollough was running smooth and strong then bit into the wood. He had cut less than halfway through the fir when the top started to lift off the back side of the trunk. Guido bit in further, carving out several more inches of wood before pulling the saw free from the cut and snapping it into his belt. The top now leaned at a forty-five degree angle and was pushing back against the standing part of the tree.

Guido watched, as several tons of wood literally jumped in the air and sailed through space to the ground--all the while he hugged the fir as it rocked backwards for what seemed six feet then forward another six. The rocking continued for a good ten seconds before gradually diminishing to a tremble. Guido let out a war whoop. He was hooked...like a cowboy on a rodeo bull.

Last edited:
PART XVII

Regina Gabriella O’Leary was a native of San Francisco and a decade younger than Guido. Her father, Sean, a red-headed Irishman, owned a tree service and had tried to pass his climbing skills on to his three sons. They never picked up on the trade, but Sean’s youngest child, Geena, did. She also picked up Sean’s feistiness, grit, and love of Guinness.

Geena worked for the San Francisco Parks and Recreation Department, being the only female climber in a crew of fifteen at Golden Gate Park. Even though SF prided itself as a “liberated” city, and despite the women’s lib movement having been initiated over a decade before, being a female blue collar worker on an all male crew in the late 70s could be daunting. But not for Geena. Growing up with three older brothers had inured her to all the sexual innuendos, crude language, and crass behavior. She gave back with a double dose everything thrown her way by her fellow climbers, until one day it all stopped. Well, maybe not everything, as a more insidious mind set was at work.

All the other climbers, despite the crudeness and sexual insensitivity they displayed in those early days, had from almost the very beginning accepted Geena as an equal and judged her by what she could do rather than by who she was. But not so with her foreman.

Tremont Bolowalski, or TreeBo as his employees called him, never had gotten higher in a tree than a fifteen foot dogwood. But he had read all the books and took the tests, and delighted in writing “certified arborist” every time he signed a check. He also delighted in lecturing his employees on correct arboricultural and climbing practices, as well as tutoring them on appropriate behavior and language, vis-à-vis, sexual harassment and male chauvinism. He puffed up with pride when he did this, feeling himself a champion of equal rights for women. But underneath his veneer of pious equanimity lurked the heart of a hypocrite, as Geena was to find out.

After three years on the job, Geena had risen to lead climber, and Tremont had been promoted to chief groundskeeper at Golden Gate Park. When it came time for TreeBo to name a new foreman for the tree crew, he passed over Geena and appointed a man much less qualified. Despite all his sermons, TreeBo felt threatened by anyone more skillful than he, especially if that someone turned out to be a woman.

Last edited:
man this good story got me thinking, i wanna do BIG trees here in pa about 100' is tops i wanna do the tree that i need a bigger saw then 200t at 100', any suggestions cali prolly the place to go for that huh?

anyone out there wanna let me climb for a week or so out there!!!

PART XVIII

“You know wine and women
Is all I crave,
A big bad woman’s
Gonna carry me to my grave.

Born under a bad sign
I’ve been down since I began to crawl,
If it wasn’t for bad luck
I wouldn’t have no luck at all.”

Guido and Geena both had a strong repugnance for pompous, anal retentive bosses like Geena’s ex-foreman, TreeBo. And ironically, it was this repugnance that initially drew them together.

Guido had a run in with TreeBo several months before he and Geena met in the Presidio during the cleanup from the Storm of ‘81. It was at a tree jamboree at the Napa County Fairgrounds in August, 1980. TreeBo--Treemont Bolowalski to his friends--was one of three judges in a climbing competition that Guido had entered. It was a timed event with a static line crotched high in a large valley oak. The climber was required to limb walk a half dozen branches--maintaining a minimum of slack in the line--and pluck a ribbon from an oak shoot three-quarters of the way out on the limb. After gathering in the last ribbon, he then had to climb to where the line was crotched and ring a bell, before repelling to the ground.

Guido was the last competitor, as the event proceeded in alphabetical order and there was no one else with a name that started with a “Z.” Not only did he win the event, breaking the previous record by a full twenty-five seconds, but he did it barefoot. And just to drive an exclamation point into the whole affair--which Guido thought to be a rather stuffy one--he did his repel upside down, gripping and pulling the rope’s taut hitch between the first two toes of his right foot. This act of bravado was seen as an affront to those who wore their certified arborist credentials on their sleeves like strutting peacocks in full bloom, and Guido was disqualified and ejected from the jamboree by TreeBo and the two other judges--all non-climbing “certified arborists.”

When Geena mentioned she had just resigned as lead climber in Golden Gate Park in protest of being passed over for the foreman job, and that TreeBo was the man responsible for it, Guido looked up. Geena said all of this as Guido stepped out of his saddle and undid the straps of his spurs. He stood and shook his head.

“Yeah, I met the twerp at a tree man’s rendezvous up in Napa. He’s a wannabe, thinking if he hangs out with climbers long enough he’ll be one. That clown couldn’t climb out of a paper bag if he stood on all the licenses and certifications from here to Kalamazoo.”

Geena let out one of her belly busting laughs she was known for. She had been watching Guido climb and thought he moved through a tree smooth and fast, especially for a big man. And if that weren’t enough, what he had just said about TreeBo pretty much sealed the deal for her. Unfortunately, it also sealed the deal for Guido, as circumstances one year hence would bear out.

I'm working on the last episode--a fairly long one--right now. Should be out later tonight.

Cheers

man this good story got me thinking, i wanna do BIG trees here in pa about 100' is tops i wanna do the tree that i need a bigger saw then 200t at 100', any suggestions cali prolly the place to go for that huh?

anyone out there wanna let me climb for a week or so out there!!!

I've wrecked some big trees in VT--115 foot white pines at a campground. If I'm topping those at the 80 foot mark or so, sometimes I need to switch over from my 020 to 026 with an 18 incher.

If you want to consistently be in big wood with a bigger saw, it's the northwest--Bay Area, Portland, Seattle are good areas to make cold calls to tree outfits. Smaller cities like Eureka can be good too. But with the way the economy is now, it could be a challenge finding work. Having said that, climbers who can do the big ones, day in and day out, are worth their weight in gold, so some outfits are always looking.

Try using the internet yellow pages and making a few calls. If nothing else, it will be enlightening...

I've wrecked some big trees in VT--115 foot white pines at a campground. If I'm topping those at the 80 foot mark or so, sometimes I need to switch over from my 020 to 026 with an 18 incher.

If you want to consistently be in big wood with a bigger saw, it's the northwest--Bay Area, Portland, Seattle are good areas to make cold calls to tree outfits. Smaller cities like Eureka can be good too. But with the way the economy is now, it could be a challenge finding work. Having said that, climbers who can do the big ones, day in and day out, are worth their weight in gold, so some outfits are always looking.

Try using the internet yellow pages and making a few calls. If nothing else, it will be enlightening...

big conifers are easy. i wish thats all we had to deal with here. i could do gigantic pines day in and day out no problem. pay me 170 lbs in gold!

big conifers are easy. i wish thats all we had to deal with here. i could do gigantic pines day in and day out no problem. pay me 170 lbs in gold!

Nothing is easy in a campground, dude. There's trailers, electric lines, water pipes, sewer pipers, decks, BBQs, sheds, fireplaces, boats--you get the picture? It's not how big the tree is sometimes, but where it stands.

I wonder how you do pruning big live oaks--oh yeah, I forgot, you spike everything.

Latest posts

Back