Gum Tree As Firewood??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
if it's the gum we have, then it'll burn fine-probably middle of the range on the scale for hardwoods.

but don't even think about splitting it by hand. makes elm look like a boy scout. doesn't split really, just twists into clumps and wads.

or maybe you should take the maul after a few big hunks just to be double dog sure it's the same gum i'm talking about (evil laughter)...heck it might be different over there...(chuckle).

Last edited:
I don't split the gum trees that I get (they have the little spikey balls on them in the fall), I just feed the rounds to the OWB unsplit, man I love being able to do that.

Another good use for them is to put a few aside so that your buddy's can show off their splitting skills when they come over. Put a red oak round down, blast it apart and then hand the maul to your friend and point him to a gum round (make sure you have an audience).

Got a stove full of now, Burns good but it molds real bad. It gets black mold on it after a while especially if it stays wet a lot. Need a hyrdo splitter to split it. It splits stringy if you do it while it's green. I don't have a lot of it but last year that's all i burned. It's free heat so go for it.

black gum

if its the same as what i cut an entire full cord of you will beat the head of your maul. hydro will be the best way other than pouring the noodles out of it with your saw.:chainsawguy:

Old thread I know but man this stuff sucks to split. If there is a tougher splitting wood I would like to hear about it so I will make sure to never get any of it.

Del, I am right there with you about the 4 way wedge. It just won't do it and when you are used to using a 4 way, going without it seems so damn slow!

Black gum (Nyssa sylvatica)

Nyssa sylvatica - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This is the one that even hydraulic splitters have a tough time with. When I split black gum I can only do it with my two way wedge. My 50,000lb splitter will not split it four ways so I must take off my slip on 4 way wedge. With my 4 way wedge off my ram stops about two inches from the two way wedge, i still can not tear the two pieces apart by hand. What I do is put another piece on behind the unfinished one and push it through. It doesn't actually split....it more just tears. Difficult crotches I just toss in the woods and only split and burn the straight grained pieces. Great fuel but light in weight. We call it 'bomb wood' because of how it burn with a bright yellow flame.

Sweet Gum, (Liquidambar styraciflua)
Liquidambar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This is the gum with the little spiky balls. My hydraulic log splitter splits this wood easily in four way wedge mode. It's fairly light when seasoned and burns well. Rots quickly when left in whole rounds or in contact with the ground.

Yes Old thread but its popped up at a good time.

Wouldn't that be a good thing? Great fuel but light weight?

I know this thing Gum...

I let it sit in logs for half a year, then round and spilt at the same time, and it splits better on the hydro.

You can also ax split select pieces of the new rounds if they are tried right after rounding too.

I never to split anything green.

I make cribs of 8' logs three by three in big squares....

The gum I split recently really sucked even with a hydro splitter. Even after you get half way down, it still bogs the splitter down. I was worried it was going to bust a hose or something. It is not stringy but looks like crap after it is split. I would take elm over gum any day even though I don't care to split elm either.

If any of the kinetic splitter guys wants to post a video of their machine splitting both sweet and black gum, I would truly be a believer.

Sweetgum is a real bear to split... it has a high resin content. Our 16-T hydro struggles with it at times. It's easier to split if it's been left to dry a few months in rounds. I tried working it up green once. Never again. It's like trying to split a block of nylon plastic. :D

The woodlot here is rife with 'em and tupelo, or black gum. So I cut one or two each year for firewood. Ain't the hottest firewood but it's free. These are forest trees - tall and straight with no limbs or crotches in the trunks. Let the splits season for a year and it's good, lightweight firewood the SheWolf can handle. :)

The trunks ain't bad for splitting. It's the smaller stuff, limbs and whatnot that give yas grief.

Yes gum is definitely hard to split. Hydro is about the only option, unless you have a lot energy, a maul and a big hammer. Its the only wood we burn over here because it grows everywhere and burns well.

I would recommend at least a 25T hydro splitter and it needs to be well built. I have seen gum bend thick steel and then it goes off like a gun shot once it finally splits.

Yes gum is definitely hard to split. Hydro is about the only option, unless you have a lot energy, a maul and a big hammer. Its the only wood we burn over here because it grows everywhere and burns well.

I would recommend at least a 25T hydro splitter and it needs to be well built. I have seen gum bend thick steel and then it goes off like a gun shot once it finally splits.

I bent rear cylinder mount on splitter beam,this was welded right through the i beam,not just welded on top like so many other types, on a piece of grey box 'a gum' limb wood back 25 years ago.I have designed,built h/duty logsplitters since to handle those extreme hardwoods,forks,twisted logs etc.You have to go big in gear if you want to handle the tough stuff commercially day in,day out:chainsawguy:

Can you all confirm this as black gum?

Just got one tree's worth plus a bunch of white oak
icon7.png

0001.jpg

0002.jpg

0003.jpg

0004.jpg

0005.jpg

0006.jpg

Sweet gum is about the only kind of wood we burn. My son and myself cheat a little bit though. We cut the trees into 10 ft logs and then run them through our bandsaw mill cutting them into 3" thick slabs then turn them 90 degrees and make 5" cuts. Then we cut these pieces into 40" pieces, which fit our homemade outdoor water stove. These pieces stack easily on 40" X 40" pallets we made, then we transport the pallets with our homemade log-arch/forklift to the water stove.

Well I don't call it a boiler, it's a wood fired water heater. I do have some pictures. The first ones are during build and the rest are after we installed it in the metal shed. Also you can see the wood stacked on the pallets to the right.

Back