Gum Tree As Firewood??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't split the gum trees that I get (they have the little spikey balls on them in the fall), I just feed the rounds to the OWB unsplit, man I love being able to do that.

Another good use for them is to put a few aside so that your buddy's can show off their splitting skills when they come over. Put a red oak round down, blast it apart and then hand the maul to your friend and point him to a gum round (make sure you have an audience).
I get a kick out of those fellows that split 3 or 4 cord a day with a axe. I can't do that wit my 30 ton splitter much less a axe.

Old thread I know but man this stuff sucks to split. If there is a tougher splitting wood I would like to hear about it so I will make sure to never get any of it.

Del, I am right there with you about the 4 way wedge. It just won't do it and when you are used to using a 4 way, going without it seems so damn slow!
Rock Cherry and gum are about the same stringy can not wrap as bundled firewood to crooked of pieces

Sweet gum is about the only kind of wood we burn. My son and myself cheat a little bit though. We cut the trees into 10 ft logs and then run them through our bandsaw mill cutting them into 3" thick slabs then turn them 90 degrees and make 5" cuts. Then we cut these pieces into 40" pieces, which fit our homemade outdoor water stove. These pieces stack easily on 40" X 40" pallets we made, then we transport the pallets with our homemade log-arch/forklift to the water stove.

CrestLine, I'm in High Point looking for someone to cut some branches off a tall sweet gum tree and not finding anything reasonable. Do you know anyone near that might cut it Down or trim low branches for firewood and a non-exorbitant fee?

Back