Gunstock walnut for sale?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PheasantHunter

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I am looking for some crotch grain extra fancy walnut for a shotgun gunstock and fore arm. It needs to be 3" thick by 7 inches wide and 18" long for the stock , the forearm should be 3 x 3" and at least 10" long. It also needs to be at least air dried for 5 years.

If you have something like this laying around and are interested in selling it send me a PM or email photos and price to [email protected].

There is some nice stuff on ebay but I keep missing out at the last minute. So I thought I would go straight to the source.

Thanks

I have never understood why all the gun guys demand that the blanks be 3" thick. even with a cheek piece the finished stock is no where near 3" thick. Most of the guns I have seen have stocks that I closer to 1 3/4" or less in thickness. So why all the waste?

I have never understood why all the gun guys demand that the blanks be 3" thick. even with a cheek piece the finished stock is no where near 3" thick. Most of the guns I have seen have stocks that I closer to 1 3/4" or less in thickness. So why all the waste?

Well for me, I have decided that I want a shotgun that fits me (truly). So after being measured by a professional, I need a stock with 9/16" cast on (left handed). So although a gunstock is close to 2" (or less) when finished that stockmaker needs some wood to work with, especially if the gun to stock fitting is off at all to start with or lots of cast is needed. Sort of like asking why do many people want boards sawn to 1 1/8" when the final product is 3/4", better to have to much than not enough.

This link shows a stock with cast on, in case you want to see one. These guys do not bend stocks.
S&S Plus Inc. - Montana Made Handcrafted Custom Stocks

Well for me, I have decided that I want a shotgun that fits me (truly). So after being measured by a professional, I need a stock with 9/16" cast on (left handed). So although a gunstock is close to 2" (or less) when finished that stockmaker needs some wood to work with, especially if the gun to stock fitting is off at all to start with or lots of cast is needed. Sort of like asking why do many people want boards sawn to 1 1/8" when the final product is 3/4", better to have to much than not enough.

This link shows a stock with cast on, in case you want to see one. These guys do not bend stocks.
S&S Plus Inc. - Montana Made Handcrafted Custom Stocks

I would think that if you are planning on contracting the stock work to this outfit you would just cut to the chase and buy some Russian Walnut because you will drop several thousand just in the labor.

I would think that if you are planning on contracting the stock work to this outfit you would just cut to the chase and buy some Russian Walnut because you will drop several thousand just in the labor.

Labor is all over the board on gunstocks, I have a top quality place lined up for about $700 start to sanded (I finish). One guys quoted me $3500 and his work wasn't that good. I have thought about carving my own but not sure I want to go there. In the end I would rather have one shotgun that fits me than the current closet full (which are for sale at the moment). Different stokes for different folks.

Thanks for the link, I was not familiar with what cast is in a stock. I still don't understand why the bank needs to be 3" thick, particularly for the fore stock.

2" air dried for 5 years is pretty common and not that hard to find but 3" is pretty scarce and at that point you are at the mercy of the guys that cut for gun stocks and they can charge what ever they want. I have seen some spectaular curly claro with amazing color in 2" sell for half the BF cost of what a similar 3" stock goes for and the quality and grain of the wood is not the issue it is that gun stock blanks are priced way higher/ bf for the same grade of wood.

Try California Walnut Designs, Baker Hardwoods in morgan hill CA, or Newton Hardwoods, also in CA. All three have web sites.

Good luck and I would love to see some pics of yur project as it goes from blank to finished stock.

Well for me, I have decided that I want a shotgun that fits me (truly). So after being measured by a professional, I need a stock with 9/16" cast on (left handed). So although a gunstock is close to 2" (or less) when finished that stockmaker needs some wood to work with, especially if the gun to stock fitting is off at all to start with or lots of cast is needed.

I agree, it's amazing the difference of having a stock "fit" to you!

I had this one made for me out of an "english cross" blank that i had, and it's a dream to shoot! (cast for LH)

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

It truely becomes an extension of your arms!!

I also agree, i'd rather have a couple "fine guns", then a closet full of wanna-be's...

SR

Last edited:
Rob:

That is a fine looking gun!!! Do you have any more blanks like that one?

If by "like that one" you mean an "natural english cross", no i don't, and i doubt anyone else does either as i only know of two for sure and one other possible, in the last 50 plus years...

If you mean an english blank, well you can find those, and i do have a few nice blanks stored away, but i doubt i have anything 3" thick. I do have a few high grade blanks but i don't think i have a high grade english blank.

SR

Back