h

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MATTYB11

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
bio bricks

have you ever seen or used these. the manufacturer claims no mess, no bugs, land little ash. however at $260 a ton plus delivery it dosen't seem cost effective to me. I like to cut and split firewood so I don't plan on switching to these but I do see them on craigslist alot I was just wondering if anyone has used them to heat and what they thought.

Last edited:
Matty,

I have not personally used Bio bricks but I have seen so much good press about them I think they are a good product. I put them in the same bucket as pellets. They are very dry, burn clean, easy to stack and use. They create less ash and creosote. Supposedly they burn much longer with a flatter temperature curve. One key advantage of BB is that you can use them in a regular wood stove. On the down side they are expensive (in the same boat as pellets).

Here is my take on when you should use them based on no experience burning them just reading and thinking about them.

They are good for those who already have a wood stove and want to burn but cannot (physically or timewise) or don’t want to process wood. Examples might be older folks who cannot do the physical work or someone who has an 80 hour a week job and doesn’t have time. However if I didn’t have a stove I would go the pellet route because you get similar advantages but get the convenience of load and forget as well as better temperature control.

Another use for BB might possibly be the guy who just put in a wood stove and does not have enough dry wood for the year. He could supplement what dry wood he has with BB while cutting, splitting and drying next years wood.

I’m convinced you could buy already cut and split wood and save money over BB. If you cut your own there is no doubt you will save a bunch of money. So if money is the overriding criteria then cord wood is the way to go. If there are other issues then maybe pellets or Bio bricks.

Hopefully my post will get some discussion going. Maybe a moderator can rename the thread "Bio Bricks" or something.

However if I didn’t have a stove I would go the pellet route because you get similar advantages but get the convenience of load and forget as well as better temperature control.

kellog

It looks like they have there place in the wood burning market. however I agree with you If wanted the convenience of them I would just get a pellet stove.

Aanda books,

I don’t think you can compare a ton of bio bricks to a ton of cord wood. Bios are more consistent and dryer. I have heard that it is more like 1.5 to 1.7 tons of wood equals ton of bio although I have nothing to back that up. In another forum a guy claims to have measured the heat output over time of equal weights of cord wood and bios to come up with this relationship. I don’t know if it is true. Anyway bios are still more expensive even if this is true but not quite as much more expensive.

I burn cordwood because I process it myself and I see it as much less expensive. When I am 70 years old maybe I will switch to bios if I cannot process the wood

Back