H125B Muffler Mod Comparison

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raganr

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I know this is the chainsaw forum but a quick search gave many blower threads so I thought it would be ok to post here. If not, let me know and I will delete and repost in a more appropriate sub forum.

My Craftsman blower crapped out so I ordered a Husqvarna 125B. My neighbor ordered one at the same time as well.

I did the muffler mod on mine before I put any fuel in it. My neighbors saw is as it came out of the box. Both are on their second tanks of fuel. Below are a few pictures of the muffler and a comparison between the modified and stock blowers.

I don’t have a tach yet so this was the most objective test I could come up with……

There was ~ 50% increase (33 to 14 seconds to spin) in air moving along with noticeable improvement in throttle response. The stock blower was very sluggish on the throttle so I started squeezing a little earlier to compensate.

Overall, I am very pleased with the blower.

8823631a.jpg

11859821.jpg

e821f806.jpg

1c01cdd3.jpg

Last edited:
Before:
[video=youtube_share;-DNXCx7dxo0]http://youtu.be/-DNXCx7dxo0[/video]

Last edited:
After:
[video=youtube_share;8lxs7r5hRJk]http://youtu.be/8lxs7r5hRJk[/video]

Last edited:
Well I just wanted to check with you. Did you adjust the carb H and L after the mods to the muffler? I would not want to see another engine burn up.

Yes, I adjusted the carb after muffler mod. I think the stock saw could benefit from a tuning as well but the owner is following the instruction manual and wants to wait until it has 10 tanks of fuel through it. I may eventually convince him to do a more modest muffler mod...

I've always assumed blowers had an rpm limited coil.. I tweaked the carb on my Echo and it has much better pickup and cold weather performance now, but it does use a tad more fuel. Is there any way to tell if the coil is limiting the blower...I mean there isn't much point in modding it if I don't see much if any speed improvements. (I'm fairly pleased with its performance, but it just feels like it should spin faster - obviously there should be some limit cause that impeller is plastic.)

My neighbor gave me his 125b blower today because it wouldn't start and he bought a new one it didn't even have 1 tank through it, i figured out be use old gas and a fuel line cracked so i cleaned out the carb and put new fuel lines on it and it started on the 3rd pull. After it started i pulled the muffler off and cut out the opening as big as i could under the spark screen cover and this little blower really came to life WOW!! I'm not sure if its better than my BG 86 but it seems like it.

Wondering if there's any chance of getting a blower section.
I'd wager that a lot of folks here use and own 1 (or more?)
and would be curious about the unlocked leaf moving potential in them.
I realize that engine mods are a relatively strait crossover concept/practice from saws
i.e. limited coils, carb set up and so forth.
but a bit more stuff like figuring a load test board or something might be interesting.

hmm, blowing a weighted box on a slightly inclined track, Sorta like a tractor pull in reverse.
c'mon, it could be the next redneck sport !!

also anything about modding an impeller or the housing for better flow
any resulting cfm vs mph trade offs or total gains.

Since we tend to need these things in a more urbanized setting, how about overall noise changes.from these efforts.

Granted any of this depends on each person tool availability and opportunity/need to invest the time and efforts.

Apologys If this question's already been covered.
I've looked in a few lawn and landscaping type sites,
but those guys (understandably so) tend to just be focused on the business side of things.
or have an overriding brand preference.
..could babble further, but I hope you see what I'm looking to spark here.

Back