Had a little helper splitting wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hickahollar

Hickahollar

ArboristSite Operative
I get my 2 boys to help me. Had the youngest using my 8 ton splitter at 5 the oldest was 9. now my 25 ton splitter I haven't let them use it yet the 8 ton is much slower like a 20 second cycle time where as the new one is a 11 second cycle time. But they are big help.

GeeVee

GeeVee

East Coast Champion
. AS Supporting Member.
I was out splitting any my youngest daughter wanted to help. So I was like how awesome is this! My wife took a short video. Maybe I’m the only one who thinks it’s cute but whatever I wanna share my moment haha.

Heck yeah, she's your biscuit eater so I wont tell you what to do, but she might enjoy some real work, and be the handle puller...... As long as she recognizes the head shake, she could save you some effort. I HATE splitting alone, its so slow, all I need is a biscuit eater or soft handed sibling, and I'm way more productive. My middle sister enjoyed the hell out of running that handle for me, before she died. Its not quite the same without her, but I got a couple of Grangirls coming up, and a DIL thats begging for more trigger time (chainsaw therapy).

husky455rancher

husky455rancher

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
I got 3 other girls ones 21 next month she lives in her own. My older 17 yo lives with my exwife and the younger 17yo was a step daughter I adopted. The older 17yo would help me if I asked, but no one runs to help old dad. It’s a one man band at this point. Maybe the little one will show interest as she ages.

grizz55chev
Heck yeah, she's your biscuit eater so I wont tell you what to do, but she might enjoy some real work, and be the handle puller...... As long as she recognizes the head shake, she could save you some effort. I HATE splitting alone, its so slow, all I need is a biscuit eater or soft handed sibling, and I'm way more productive. My middle sister enjoyed the hell out of running that handle for me, before she died. Its not quite the same without her, but I got a couple of Grangirls coming up, and a DIL thats begging for more trigger time (chainsaw therapy).
Won't tell you how to do things, but most of the accidents I've witnessed from wood splitters were with helpers pulling the handle. Know of two friends the ended up with serious injury doing just that. One friend ended up with a couple of fingers cut right off.Your milage may vary

lone wolf
Won't tell you how to do things, but most of the accidents I've witnessed from wood splitters were with helpers pulling the handle. Know of two friends the ended up with serious injury doing just that. One friend ended up with a couple of fingers cut right off.Your milage may vary
You make a good point there . I have seen things happen like that.

grizz55chev
You make a good point there . I have seen things happen like that.
I lent my splitter out to a friend ONCE, with explicit instructions to not let anyone pull the handle but the one putting the log on the splitter! This FRIEND posted video on FB letting both his grandkids do just that. I will never lend my splitter out again, ever.

lone wolf
I lent my splitter out to a friend ONCE, with explicit instructions to not let anyone pull the handle but the one putting the log on the splitter! This FRIEND posted video on FB letting both his grandkids do just that. I will never lend my splitter out again, ever.
I lent mine out and it came back with a rod through the case.

husky455rancher

husky455rancher

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Usually it never works out well only with real capable people .
I don’t lend out equipment. I’ll offer to help them do the work. Actually I’ll let my dad take something. If he messed it up he would replace it on his own there is no doubt in my mind. My brother in law needed. Saw so I lent my cheapest saw the husky 142. That was years and years ago I still haven’t gotten it back. He’s helped me a lot over the years so no worries on that.

Hickahollar

Hickahollar

ArboristSite Operative
Yeah I don't even know if I'd lend my cheap poulan pl3314 out ever again. About 4 months ago I cleaned up a dead hickan tree for my neighbor he used to many many moons ago about 40 was a logger and cut down trees. I've worked with him before but it's been close to 10 years or more. Well let's say he hasn't held up very. He ran his black max out of gas so I let him use my poulan. Well he has got real bad COPD he was working on about 3 inch branches now some of it may of been my fault I have a really sharp chain and full comp not skip tooth I forgot to tell him also I have done a mild mm on it. It fairly well keeps up with my stock ms250. Well he wasn't prepared I guess for it to cut quite as quickly as it did and he actually cut his pants and knicked his leg right above his knee. Only 1 or 2 drops of blood and he is fine now but it scared the you know what outta me. So as of right now only my brother in law that has his own 3 or 5 chainsaws can borrow mine.

husky455rancher

husky455rancher

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
What is good for your daughters should be good for yourself. wear hearing protection. You will be able to hear her kids when they call for grandpa.
I had air pods in. The new ones have pretty great noise reduction. I gave her my ear muffs cuse she left hers at my dads the other day when I ran over to do leaves for him while he was at work.