Had my 440 up against a 2171

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, you guy's rely on chain speed. Dig the dogs in and watch your's fall flat on it's face.

We just got gobs of power/torque, go ahead, dig in.

I can stop a 440 just as easy.
what makes you think digging in makes the cut go faster.
Whos We ?

Seriously...do Stihl owners just have bad sawing skills? They seem to harp on digging in those dogs...a good sawyer knows their purpose is to serve as pivots and such. I was taught that, if you were yardin' on the saw with the dogs, you needed to sharpen your chain or sharpen your skills...

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

:D

Seriously...do Stihl owners just have bad sawing skills? They seem to harp on digging in those dogs...a good sawyer knows their purpose is to serve as pivots and such. I was taught that, if you were yardin' on the saw with the dogs, you needed to sharpen your chain or sharpen your skills...

They have to, as the pre-361 Stihls have no power above the max hp rpms - some other saws do........:cheers:

Anyway, that is the answer that I got, when I provoked some people a year and a halv ago (or maybe two), regarding this issue, and it seems to fit very well with reality.....

Most of those members are gone by now, except Ben Walker and Treeco, whom are my favourite members by now - after Ed and Jeff left (and Rocky - but he was not involved in that discussion). I see them all on some other websites though....

I also miss Glens, allways sensible.....

..and then I miss Tundraotto, Sedanman and Huskyman, but they have made some brief comebacks lately, and Ray Benson is allways there, when you need him......:clap: :clap:

I have a soft spot for Mike Maas as well, lots of good posts - and some others.....

Last edited:

Something like that.
You just have to be smarter then what you are working with.

If you are use to a 440 and then pick up a 2171.
and pivot it through a cut the same way, yes you will stall it.
Why ?

Because the 2171 is longer from handle to handle. Witch will give you more what?

Any Body? any body?

Yes !!!!!!!!!!!!

Thats right.

LEVERAGE
Now not being use to that and never compairing the two .
No wonder a stihlhead would think a 2171 is gut less

But don't take my word for it I Don't know squat.

I guess my point in this thread was just stating my observations.. as was stated in my original post. I also said that one saw was not better than the other. Just saying the owner of the 2171 said mine cut faster, I don't know if he meant it but faster all the time or just because of the chain he had. So woodfarmer if my post was useless I truly apologize for making you waste your valuable time reading AND replying to my useless post. Hope you all have a nice afternoon.

I guess my point in this thread was just stating my observations.. as was stated in my original post. I also said that one saw was not better than the other. Just saying the owner of the 2171 said mine cut faster, I don't know if he meant it but faster all the time or just because of the chain he had. So woodfarmer if my post was useless I truly apologize for making you waste your valuable time reading AND replying to my useless post. Hope you all have a nice afternoon.

One thing is sure - it wouldn't if the chains were about equally good......:)

I can stop a 440 just as easy.
what makes you think digging in makes the cut go faster.
Whos We ?

We are the millions of Stihl user's. Yes, a saw can cut on it's on with a sharp chain. It is just nice to dig in and feel that raw power sometimes. You will see soon.

Something like that.
You just have to be smarter then what you are working with.

If you are use to a 440 and then pick up a 2171.
and pivot it through a cut the same way, yes you will stall it.
Why ?

Because the 2171 is longer from handle to handle. Witch will give you more what?

Any Body? any body?

Yes !!!!!!!!!!!!

Thats right.

LEVERAGE
Now not being use to that and never compairing the two .
No wonder a stihlhead would think a 2171 is gut less

But don't take my word for it I Don't know squat.

You left out the different power bands........the whole point here. Nice ending too.:cheers:

A couple of years ago I tried a 440 for about two weeks, (had a couple 44s before), but I went back to my 2171 because it was smoother, the starter rope pulled easier, it started faster, and the two were almost identical for power. The 440 had more torque. You have to use rpms to cut with the 2171, but overall there was little real difference in power.

Now I've gone to the smaller 361 Stihl, (which actually takes more pulling effort with the deco than the 2171 without). It cuts at about the same speed as my very worn 2171, but is smoother and lighter.

I will say that my 2171 is still going, but has a lot of minor problems and is worn, about 3500 hours. I kept it as a backup saw, but haven't needed it.

Your 2171 needs new rings, and maybe a new piston - and you should allways run the saws at full trottle - if not, you harm the P&C.

There usually is no midrange jet, and they generally run lean at halv-trottle, or anywhere close to it.:jawdrop: :jawdrop:

Last edited:
We are the millions of Stihl user's. Yes, a saw can cut on it's on with a sharp chain. It is just nice to dig in and feel that raw power sometimes. You will see soon.

You left out the different power bands........the whole point here. Nice ending too.:cheers:

Oh please great 2000 tell me what I am missing.:bowdown:

So you realy think digging in is the way to go.
I'll bet your one of those guys that file the rakers way down so you can dig better.

Tell me about the power bands your talking about?
this is all new to me.

:clap: put a 8 pin sprocket on it and see what
happens to 'raw power' & torque :chainsaw:

I did just that.

Surprisingly little difference in cutting speed and torque deficit with the 20" bar. Very light touch required with the 28" bar. This is with a 441.

Most of these were done with the 441 and 8 pin.
attachment.php

agreed. i think its more about finesse and letting the saw
do the work.i run 8-pins on my saws and have a 371 and
a 044 in the mix love them both can't tell much difference
between the two except handling characteristics
BTW nice RTV we sell kubota at the shop i work at now.:monkey:

agreed. i think its more about finesse and letting the saw
do the work.i run 8-pins on my saws and have a 371 and
a 044 in the mix love them both can't tell much difference
between the two except handling characteristics
BTW nice RTV we sell kubota at the shop i work at now.:monkey:

Good post, Thats what I have been trying to say.

Yea my son likes that Kubota, he just got done telling me all about it.

The RTV is a workhorse! Love ours. It'll pull 4k up a pretty decent incline with the bed loaded. It's load, rough riding and jerky.....everything I love about it!

Best of all, no BELTS!!!!

thanks manual at least i know there are a few sensible
people here:hmm3grin2orange: and if he likes the 900
check out the new 1100 RTV w/ heat & air but they
are a little pricey for me but we sell a bunch of them:cheers:

thanks manual at least i know there are a few sensible
people here:hmm3grin2orange: and if he likes the 900
check out the new 1100 RTV w/ heat & air but they
are a little pricey for me but we sell a bunch of them:cheers:

yeah I can go round and round about witch saw is better.
bottom line is. the user.

I checked that 1100 rtv the wife likes it.
If they get any bigger my as well call them a truck.
Right now all I can do is dream about one.
My tractor does well for me.

The RTV is a workhorse! Love ours. It'll pull 4k up a pretty decent incline with the bed loaded. It's load, rough riding and jerky.....everything I love about it!

Best of all, no BELTS!!!!

BTW Peacock were is the winch?? that's the hot ticket here
pain in the a$$ to wire up though:monkey:

Back